Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Cloud Computing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

Why must cloud be synonymous with loss of control over your server or data?

You're looking at the wrong cloud if that's the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@Boskonay

Sorry if that goes personal...i would preffer to answer me in a private way,possible around a cup of coffee... :)

I look at this cloud wave as it used to be back in pre-2000 !Lots of money invested in to a very young technology,with big huge numbers listed as return on investments and nice predictions...

As you are one (or only one) that favours the cloud technology,can you give me few reasons why the pre-2000 won't apply to cloud !?

On other side,just reading some news alerts...on silliconrepublic,two companies just received grants for technology to be used in the cloud...based on what ??? on virtual returns ? on virtual forecasts ??

sorry,i am lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

The wave you refer to was ASP which could be equated to SAAS now.

There are lots of fundamental differences, but my experience and expertise is in the IAAS part of cloud (Infra as a service).

In my opinion, this represents a shift from 'legacy' style hosted infrastructure, so 'cloud' style and the benefits that brings. (Which are 'real' and measurable).

The problem is that there is hype and a 'mini bubble' around the SAAS opart of cloud, which is confusing the market entirely.

In simple, nuts and bolts terms, cloud servers and cloud datacentres will replace onsite kit and colo/dedicated servers almost entirely over the next three to five years. In fact, no one has to do anything to even embrace it, as all the infra providers will simply be doing it by default over that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

zR0Hf.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So I know absolutely nothing about cloud computing

Can anyone recommend a decent website where I can read up on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    So I know absolutely nothing about cloud computing

Can anyone recommend a decent website where I can read up on it?

Begin by doing a search in your search engine and read posts,web sites,blogs and white papers.Check Youtube,there you can find lots of good educational resources.
    As we stand,there are people loving the cloud computing while there,on the other side ,are people that hate it. I'll say that majority just sits and wait to see what really going to be...

Make up your own opinion,read the pro and the against and come up with your best educated opinion.

PS
    Now,when i say cloud i mean servers and storage and virtual applications,no email in the cloud !!

Have fun...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Begin by doing a search in your search engine and read posts,web sites,blogs and white papers.Check Youtube,there you can find lots of good educational resources.
    As we stand,there are people loving the cloud computing while there,on the other side ,are people that hate it. I'll say that majority just sits and wait to see what really going to be...

Make up your own opinion,read the pro and the against and come up with your best educated opinion.

PS
    Now,when i say cloud i mean servers and storage and virtual applications,no email in the cloud !!

Have fun...

Thats what I had being doing,reading articles on the web just was wondering had anyone a particular one to recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Thats what I had being doing,reading articles on the web just was wondering had anyone a particular one to recommend

A particular one "good" or "bad" to recommend !? :)

Very important with this cloud storage is to get it first and first where the data is going to be stored: EU or USA data center jurisdiction ! Get this very well and then you can move to background technology & processes !
    Don't forget that politics moves the byte through the fiber,across the ocean' floor bed ! :)

But,to give you a neutral advice...
    One that has some effect on our shores,from here !

...or...

please take your time and continue here

Have fun and let us know your opinion !

For years a "cloud" was on a network diagram to represent a bunch of magic stuff that just worked despite us not knowing how.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

NoDrama wrote: »
    For years a "cloud" was on a network diagram to represent a bunch of magic stuff that just worked despite us not knowing how.
    Who is this "Us" you speak about?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Who is this "Us" you speak about?

Maybe I worded that wrong, really just wanted state that it has being used in Diagrams to represent networks for years, such as in Forouzan's book which I used in college and many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Gmail is a true cloud service, 99% of what is being sold as the cloud is not the cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Cloud Computing is just another word for WAN Networking..

in my eyes anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Does a WAN not imply that there are still physical servers belonging to the organisation, just in far away locations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Whats Cloud ? Physical Servers Far Away, Same thing Really, Just that its a Term that has being around for a while but its now that its getting Cheaper and Tech is now at a stage where it is allowing people to use a Cloud Service,

You were always able to play games on a Server from your win 98 Computer. but they just change it to the term Could where you could use any Computer and play games on it from a Server,

IE i have a Mac, i could use my mac to play BF 3 on a Server with every thing Maxed out without effecting my MAC computer. as the game is being Ran on the Server on the "CLOUD Network"

In WAN your Office PC's are all LAN networked then you would have a DLC which allows you to connect to the outside World and to other Servers using VPN.

the cost of VPN has dropped as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Whats Cloud ? Physical Servers Far Away, Same thing Really

The main distinction I would make is that they're not hosted or owned by you. Maybe not a huge difference if you're using an environment like Amazon EC2 where you're still logging into it at OS level to manage it, but it is a big difference when you're using cloud as a SAAS customer.

Advertisement