Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJing pet peeves

• 13-06-2011 12:48am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Venues, crowds, equipment etc.

I was playing a party last night and my feckin amp kept tripping out, had to taxi home and get my spare.
    Then later some muppet came over saying there were drunk people who need to dance off their drinks and I need to play something they can dance to...

...I was playing Kraftwerk at the time. Too right I told what she needs to do! :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

This is gonna be one long thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Play some deadmau5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Which ever dj takes his hand....makes a fist, sticks out his index finger, points it upwards...then proceeds to finger the air in a "pump it up" motion is a F.A.G.G.O.T.

I will never finger an invisable air vagina, I swear by it audience!

But my pet peeve would be those drunk girls coming up when your playing some easy stuff like Modjo or Stardust-music sounds better. and ask for Beyonce cos its her friends birthday blahblahblah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

DJ's who don't respect the proceeding and following DJ. Your set time is your set time...play it and stop tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

"Will you play that song now i'm about to leave" ... 3 hours later still on the dancefloor.

Somebody coming up asking "what songs do you have" ... let me list them all for you.

And somebody repeatedly requesting a song over and over even though you've already played it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Pretty much anything this plank does, says or plays:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

"Will you play some Dubstep?"
    "wob wob wob wob"
    "I love underground music, do you know simian mobile disco?"
    "Can I scratch?"
    "Can you scratch?"
    "Will you scratch?"
    "Will you play techno?"
    "Those are savage decks, I have numarks at home" (technics)
    "What decks are they?" (always technics)

I could go on all day.

My personal favourite of all time was at the end of a gig:
    "I see you're using vinyl, but how are you playing music without a computer?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Requests do my head in. It's like people figure out what sort of music you're not going to have and then want you to play that. I don't play in clubs that often but I played a charity night in the Odeon and I swear I was going to swing for someone. I'd played a very eclectic mix of chill out, club hits, hip hop & house and some young one kept asking me why I was playing the same sort of music. She wanted to hear some Damien Dempsey :rolleyes:

Another one that gets me is Dj's coming up and talking to you during your set. At least clueless people don't really realise whats involved, Dj's have no excuse for bantering bull**** while you're in the middle of a mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

milltown wrote: »
    Pretty much anything this plank does, says or plays:

Out of interest, why do you not like him? PM me if you don't want to say here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

ottostreet wrote: »

I'd have thought the video would have made it obvious…

He's a trance worzel gummidge declaring Titso and Guetta to have kept their underground credentials whilst wearing a t-shirt that has the chaviest slogan I have ever seen.

And its orange which everyone knows doesn't suit an autumn complexion.

Also the irony of showing 14 year old knackers in ugg boots and bikinis while saying that dance music has become more socially acceptable seems lost on him.

• Advertisement

To be honest i had never heard of him before today but after watching that clip i don't like him either.

You only ever need your name written on the inside of your jocks up until the age of about 10, never on a DJ bag and sure as **** never on a fake jersey.

Also, he likes Tiesto, so instant doubts about his taste in dance music.

And he said "underground credibility" in relation to Tiesto...who has none.

Triple par right there.

To be honest i had never heard of him before today but after watching that clip i don't like him either.

You only ever need your name written on the inside of your jocks up until the age of about 10, never on a DJ bag and sure as **** never on a fake jersey.

Also, he likes Tiesto, so instant doubts about his taste in dance music.

And he said "underground credibility" in relation to Tiesto...who has none.

Triple par right there.

I think the main reason for that kind of statement is simply due to his affiliation with Spin and that demographic. I personally wouldn't really like Johns music/chosen style of music (I prefer house myself), but I don't think anyone can deny that his approach and self-promotion at every opportunity isnt working on a European (and international) scale.

In fairness, if John has been booked to warm up for Tiesto, he's hardly gonna turn around and go 'Yeah I actually think Tiesto is cheesy ****e'. Commercial success will always involve a certain element of 'selling out'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

If I was asked to support Tiesto I'd say no. I don't think I could live with myself and I certainly couldn't live with the stick I'd get.

If I was asked to support Tiesto I'd say no. I don't think I could live with myself and I certainly couldn't live with the stick I'd get.

Do you DJ full-time for a living? If you are, then fair play, you can make that choice for yourself. John is doing something for a living that he wanted to do since he was a kid, and when the option to warm up for Tiesto arose, I doubt he hesitated for a second. I know I certainly wouldn't either (not that the opportunity will ever arise unfortunately). I don't think someone who toes the line and says transparently obvious things like 'Tiesto & Guetta=underground' while making a Tiesto promo video which also has Spin advertising in it, really deserves ridicule.

I think the main reason for that kind of statement is simply due to his affiliation with Spin and that demographic. I personally wouldn't really like Johns music/chosen style of music (I prefer house myself), but I don't think anyone can deny that his approach and self-promotion at every opportunity isnt working on a European (and international) scale.

In fairness, he seems to have a pretty unbelievable schedule through his self promotion - Seattle one night, Cahir the next - But the problem most people would have is that it is obviously not got anything to do with the music, that's secondary for Mr Wet and Hard. He is playing lowest common denominator trance in the hope that it will make him famous. I think a lot of people on a forum like this wouldn't find that an admirable quality in a person.
    In fairness, if John has been booked to warm up for Tiesto, he's hardly gonna turn around and go 'Yeah I actually think Tiesto is cheesy ****e'.

Or he could have decided to not make a video trying to mythologise the fact that he played to a couple of thousand knackers that had no interest in seeing him.
    Commercial success will always involve a certain element of 'selling out'.

That implies there was some integrity to start off with…

I don't think someone who toes the line and says transparently obvious things like 'Tiesto & Guetta=underground' while making a Tiesto promo video which also has Spin advertising in it, really deserves ridicule.

Why? Is it an indicator of mental problems?

In fairness, if John has been booked to warm up for Tiesto, he's hardly gonna turn around and go 'Yeah I actually think Tiesto is cheesy ****e'. Commercial success will always involve a certain element of 'selling out'.

Exactly, that's why i find it funny that he was trying to dismiss that very concept with his "underground credibility" remark.

He is obvious playing the height of commercialized dance music to get a supporting slot with Tiesto...there is no real point in him pretending it's anything other than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

but I don't think anyone can deny that his approach and self-promotion at every opportunity isnt working on a European (and international) scale.

oh you'd be wrong there.........

Not sure what the craic is nowadays, but we used to get a great laugh out of googling his 'International' dates.

Being very careful not to libel here, so I'll let the rest of the board weigh in.

Btw, he most likely will read/has read this thread.

It's one thing trying to be famous. It's quite another going out of your way to convince people locally that you are actually famous 'Internationally'.

jtsuited wrote: »
    oh you'd be wrong there.........

Not sure what the craic is nowadays, but we used to get a great laugh out of googling his 'International' dates.

Being very careful not to libel here, so I'll let the rest of the board weigh in.

Btw, he most likely will read/has read this thread.

Well, you're all entitled to your own opinions, as I said, I wouldn't really like Johns chosen style of music, but to me, as a local boy, he does seem to have succeeded internationally, jetting off regularly.

Are you saying that half the stuff he says is made up?

• Advertisement

i'm saying absolutely nothing (because embarassingly enough I know exactly what can be constituted as libel).

but er, google and a bit of deductive reasoning goes a long way when you see a date in Seattle and a date in Tipperary in an 'International' schedule one day after another......

In fact google throws up more questions than it answers in this regard.

Ah well, here's hoping he's not fragile...it would take a pretty frail human to get upset about people just not liking your style of DJing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

To get this thread back on track:
    • Serato DJs ****ing up setting up their Serato, or taking ages with it
    • Traktor DJs using a line-out. (No idea how anyone thinks this is acceptable.)
    • DJs breaking CDJ cue buttons/mixer faders
    • DJs running the mixer into the red
    • DJs playing too heavy for the time they're playing
    • The other DJ mixing out too quickly when you're playing b2b
    • The idea of making requests in general (in a 'niche' - to quote Leggo - club)
    • DJs having all three EQs past 5.
    • DJs not putting tracklists on mixes "so no-one steals their tunes". - they're the ****ing artist's tunes, not yours

• DJs not putting tracklists on mixes "so no-one steals their tunes". - they're the ****ing artist's tunes, not yours

Innocent question from somebody who only plays at home; as opposed to what?
    I'm guessing you mean running their soundcard straight to the club amp, rather than one side of the mixer. Is that it?

I know of one or two places where you have no option but to play in the red, as the sound system/amps are so weak. I remember setting up in one place, starting to play, thinking it was far too quiet (as in I could talk to the engineer without really raising my voice on the dancefloor), going to the boss and asking 'is that it? amps are up full and im already in the red (before we'd even opened)' and he said it was too loud!

Clubs that have 'noise restrictions' are a little pointless I think.

milltown wrote: »
    Innocent question from somebody who only plays at home; as opposed to what?
    I'm guessing you mean running their soundcard straight to the club amp, rather than one side of the mixer. Is that it?

I mean DJs not using a soundcard at all, and just plugging straight from the headphone slot/line-out on their laptop.

Do people do that?
    No monitoring. Just leave it all up to gridding and the sync button?
    I may now be getting more of a handle on the ire directed at laptop DJs. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mick.m

People standing over you in an already cramped booth.
    People putting their drinks on speakers or near mixer / amp / decks.
    That guy who eyes you up the whole night and tells everyone how he could do better.
    That guy who asks can he have a go.
    People requesting top 40 in a house set.
    Mixers being put in the red / bass EQ up to the last.
    Drunk people in general.

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Do you DJ full-time for a living? If you are, then fair play, you can make that choice for yourself. John is doing something for a living that he wanted to do since he was a kid, and when the option to warm up for Tiesto arose, I doubt he hesitated for a second. I know I certainly wouldn't either (not that the opportunity will ever arise unfortunately). I don't think someone who toes the line and says transparently obvious things like 'Tiesto & Guetta=underground' while making a Tiesto promo video which also has Spin advertising in it, really deserves ridicule.

From watching that video, he does come across as abit of a tw*t, but all I can say is fair play to him. He's making money and living the dream, quite along way from the rest of us. I'm not saying I'd want to emulate him, but if someone makes it, this forum seems to hate them for it.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    From watching that video, he does come across as abit of a tw*t, but all I can say is fair play to him. He's making money and living the dream, quite along way from the rest of us. I'm not saying I'd want to emulate him, but if someone makes it, this forum seems to hate them for it.

Weird, i've yet to see a forum that posted in itself.

That's gotta be some kind existential nightmare right there.

Okay, we'll take it in a purely Irish context because usually comments like the one you've made are usually thinly veiled attacks on what people perceive as begrudgery. Have you ever seen a general consensus on this forum that people like Donnacha Costello or Chymera are asshats and completely rubbish? No? Strange because they are both big names in their genres and Irish and yet people on here would still have admiration for them. Hmmm that's odd...

Maybe its the fact that they're not pandering to the ugg boot massive and produce quality productions that are critically lauded. It's not if you make it, it's how you make it that's important to a lot of people that are passionate about music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

i think after that youtube video it should be mandatory for an automatic redirect to the trancecracker cartoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭HoggyRS

Was djing away in a club a few weeks back with a setup consisting of 2 cdj 1000s and a djm600 and some langer came up looking for some hard trance tune or something ridiculous so I told em I hadn't go it. He pointed to the CDJ and asked "does that get youtube?".

Also had other people, when told I didn't have whatever ****e they were after, that it was ok as they had it on their phones so I could play it off that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I recently noted this condition about somebody else, but it seems that John Gibbons lad is suffering from Narcissistic personality disorder also,

I would say most likeley the symptoms in red apply to this guy also,

Symptoms
    A person with narcissistic personality disorder may:
    • React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
    • Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
    • Have excessive feelings of self-importance
    • Exaggerate achievements and talents
    • Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
    • Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
    • Need constant attention and admiration
    • Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy
    • Have obsessive self-interest
    • Pursue mainly selfish goals
    I don't think someone who toes the line and says transparently obvious things like 'Tiesto & Guetta=underground' while making a Tiesto promo video which also has Spin advertising in it, really deserves ridicule.

The entire concept of that video & everything in it deserves ridicule, Chloroplasts link to the trancecracker says all that needs to be said.

You wouldnt beleive the wankery that goes on within the oldskool genres/scene from tune hoarders, holding onto the names like there the fúcking holy grail, absolute knob jockey tossery it is.

Well i agree with you to a certain extent, if thats his bag fair enough, but please dont come on here trying to justify it in any way as having any merit at all as being sucessful in music.

He is a commercial product/tool that has nothing whatsoever to do with electronic music. The fúcking facebook logo on the wall of lights in that vid riles me also:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I hate when venues swear to jaysus, allah and who ever else that they have decks, I even double check and ask are they turntables, do they play records etc and when you show up with 2 bags of records they have a ****ty CD rack mount thing. :mad:
    Talkin' 'bout "Oops sorry, I thought they played records"
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

iamstop wrote: »
    I hate when venues swear to jaysus, allah and who ever else that they have decks, I even double check and ask are they turntables, do they play records etc and when you show up with 2 bags of records they have a ****ty CD rack mount thing. :mad:
    Talkin' 'bout "Oops sorry, I thought they played records"
    :rolleyes:

That would indeed suck. What if the DJ just happened to turn up with Vinyl only?

SteoL wrote: »
    That would indeed suck. What if the DJ just happened to turn up with Vinyl only?

Maybe it's different outside Dublin, but I don't see why a DJ who's spend so much time, effort and money on learning and buying records would want to bother play in a club that doesn't even have Technics.

Maybe it's different outside Dublin, but I don't see why a DJ who's spend so much time, effort and money on learning and buying records would want to bother play in a club that doesn't even have Technics.

Pretty much. Most clubs are **** for looking after gear though. I've turned up to promote my nights and the monitors have been dead (club new this for 2 weeks and never told me), tone arms have been bent on decks, mixers have been ****ed...all kinds of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lumbo wrote: »
    Requests do my head in. It's like people figure out what sort of music you're not going to have and then want you to play that. I don't play in clubs that often but I played a charity night in the Odeon and I swear I was going to swing for someone. I'd played a very eclectic mix of chill out, club hits, hip hop & house and some young one kept asking me why I was playing the same sort of music. She wanted to hear some Damien Dempsey :rolleyes:

Another one that gets me is Dj's coming up and talking to you during your set. At least clueless people don't really realise whats involved, Dj's have no excuse for bantering bull**** while you're in the middle of a mix.

but ?your a DJ .....................requests do your head in?.i say again your a dj!! !!!thats what dj s do, take requests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

^ he's got ya there so he has

full support crazygery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

18ths. 21sts are grand, everyone comes in and has a few pints and you can play whatever the f'ck you like and they'll love it. 18ths arent like that. Half 16 and 17s, half 18yo's, always a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

18ths. 21sts are grand, everyone comes in and has a few pints and you can play whatever the f'ck you like and they'll love it. 18ths arent like that. Half 16 and 17s, half 18yo's, always a pain.
    Ya what now?

That sounded like some maths equation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

mick.m wrote: »
    People standing over you in an already cramped booth.
    People putting their drinks on speakers or near mixer / amp / decks.
    That guy who eyes you up the whole night and tells everyone how he could do better.
    That guy who asks can he have a go.
    People requesting top 40 in a house set.
    Mixers being put in the red / bass EQ up to the last.
    Drunk people in general.

/rant
    That definitely irritates the feck out of me! You always see them over to the side of the dancefloor or coming over to the side of the booth and having a sneaky look in at the setup and then sometimes saying something to you about how he uses "decks and a laptop" and then walking away... Its a bit off putting at times.

Also the, lets just say "country" people or some drunk people, who when your playing something like... i dont know... Sebastian or Jay Lumen (I wish), even chart dance if you have to, or some house or electro house... those people coming up saying.... will you put on something we can dance too... like Eminem or The Coronas... just go away plz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

just took a brand new set of cdjs out of the box

and

they are white

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I hate when one of your favorite tracks on an album develops a skip or a nasty skratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

If the narcotics & gargle run out prematurley:(

*Two days is long enough ya greedy pig*:D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ya what now?

I'm in the minority on this forum that play mobile gigs :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ya what now?

I'm in the minority on this forum that play mobile gigs :p
    Yeah but you're normal in spite of it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You turn up to a club and all the knobs and sliders are missing from the mixer.

What do people do with these? I'm guessing they've lost them from their own mixer and just said i'll whip this one from the club.

Or maybe the magical slider gnomes that come out at night and steal them :D

Dj on thursday using tc vinyl, oh cool, thats wierd for a commercial club, then i saw te headphones.

Beats by dr dre. FOAD!

• Advertisement
Advertisement