Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJing pet peeves

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

DubDJ wrote: »
    You turn up to a club and all the knobs and sliders are missing from the mixer.

What do people do with these? I'm guessing they've lost them from their own mixer and just said i'll whip this one from the club.

Or maybe the magical slider gnomes that come out at night and steal them :D

A lot of it can be down to the exuberance people get when they are not using the equipment they actually paid for themselves. They get all hyped up at their own awesome and slap the faders around the place and bang the buttons and tear into the knobs like the mixer is their S&M loving mother.

I have certain mates who are banned from mixer on my gear, as they have no ****ing respect for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭HoggyRS

A lot of it can be down to the exuberance people get when they are not using the equipment they actually paid for themselves. They get all hyped up at their own awesome and slap the faders around the place and bang the buttons and tear into the knobs like the mixer is their S&M loving mother.

I have certain mates who are banned from mixer on my gear, as they have no ****ing respect for it.

Yoji Bioheminika(Spelling???) was playing in Cork a few years back and he ripped all the knobs and faders out of the DJM 800 and threw em into the crowd.

What a git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Yoji Bioheminika(Spelling???) was playing in Cork a few years back and he ripped all the knobs and faders out of the DJM 800 and threw em into the crowd.

What a git.

Those things arent cheap to replace either -> Pioneer Spares so I wouldnt fancy some ejit throwing them into the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DubDJ wrote: »
    HoggyRS wrote: »

What a git.

Those things arent cheap to replace either -> Pioneer Spares so I wouldnt fancy some ejit throwing them into the audience.
    He certainly looks like an eejit!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The knob for the depth of the effects wore down on my djm, I checked the replacement price, and nearly got sick!

If mr Biomehanika decided to make **** of my 1400 mixer i'd be demanding he pay for it!!

People who treat the DJ box as a personal cloakroom. No I wont hold your f***ing jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Was DJing last night. Some bird came up beside me and requested Rebecca Black - Friday. I didn't even entertain her, I just said no and went back to playing. Then I noticed the music stop, looked around, she'd just cut the music, looks up at me, and goes "please play Rebecca Black".

What an awful horrible cunt.

Was DJing last night. Some bird came up beside me and requested Rebecca Black - Friday. I didn't even entertain her, I just said no and went back to playing. Then I noticed the music stop, looked around, she'd just cut the music, looks up at me, and goes "please play Rebecca Black".

Bleeding cheek. A day late and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Reminds me of this:
    The princess of bottle service culture herself, Ms. famous-for-no-particular-reason, Paris Hilton, was publicly humiliated by Swedish House Mafia man Steve Angello in move that will leave DJs around the world cheering his name till the end of time.

The LA-based diva turned up at the 1OAK party at Angello’s showcase at WMC on Thursday night/Friday morning, and found his music “was not even danceable and was frankly giving me a migraine.”

Hilton asked one of her friends who runs the hotel to change the music and the manager said between emphatic kisses of her ass, “I’ll lead you up to the DJ booth and he’ll play whatever you want.”

The age old battle between ignorant, over-privileged wannabes and DJs trying to do their best just went front and centre. Brilliant.

Angello claims Hilton repeatedly asked him to play hip-hop. Hilton claims she only asked him to play Bob Sinclar or Daft Punk.

But whatever went down, it led to a big fight. Hilton’s friend Doug Reinhardt and her entourage got a kicking for apparently slapping Steve Angello.

Angello on his Twitter said: “For someone who claims to make records...don’t come into a booth and ask me to play hip-hop and then have your doorman slap me. Or at least if you wanna do that.....don’t moan about it when we all kicked off. Don’t be so ****ing rude.”

Hilton’s response on her Myspace blog portrays her ignorance and self-importance in the ugly light of day.

“The DJ (I don’t even know his name cause he sucks so bad) was playing the worst music ever!” she says. “I think he was jealous cause Bob Sinclar is a far better DJ then this guy by about a million times.

“He was so unbelievably rude and all because I asked to play one good song. Then out of nowhere his bodyguard (don’t ask me why he has a bodyguard, like he really needs one. Ha) pushed me really hard, that’s when my boyfriend, like my knight in shining armor, stepped in and told the guy to keep his hands off of me. Then all hell broke loose, it was like something out of a fight movie, it was so frightening.”

Whatever the truth, the fact is Hilton thought her fame granted her the right to use Steve Angello as her monkey DJ for the night.

How many times have we DJs been requested to play terrible records by clueless self-serving wannabes who want nothing more than to bask in their own glory?

Steve Angello just stood up for himself and his music. He went head-to-head with the biggest celebrity in the world and won. DJs around the world should rejoice.

Hope you asked the door staff to bar her, requesting shoite is one thing, killing the music is another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What a piece of shi'ite.

What happened after?

CiaranMT wrote: »

What a piece of shi'ite.

What happened after?
    He played it 'ironically' and everybody was happy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Reminds me of this:

Hope you asked the door staff to bar her, requesting shoite is one thing, killing the music is another.
    How did I never hear of that story before?! Some man to do that though, not give into the pressure.

Will always have respect for Angello and SHM after being at one of their mammoth DJ sets in Pacha a few years back that literally went on all night, I dont give 2 fúcks if they play popular dance or not either. Where the fúck did Bob Sinclair come from also :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What a piece of shi'ite.

What happened after?

Got one of my mate who was around the DJ box to get her out, then shaw came back, requesting the same song, being like 'everyone will love it'. Then saw her hand reach over again to the platter, and flipped at her. A barguy walked passed, so I got him to get her kicked out, didn't see her again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Got one of my mate who was around the DJ box to get her out, then shaw came back, requesting the same song, being like 'everyone will love it'. Then saw her hand reach over again to the platter, and flipped at her. A barguy walked passed, so I got him to get her kicked out, didn't see her again.

I would have just agreed with her to play it next & then fired this one out,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

pet peeves....

having someone ask me to play a song...that is currently playing.....are some people deaf?

having someone ask me to play a song again JUST after i played it.....

having someone ask me to play rebecca black.....i just answered back, sorry, i don't have it......but the girl replies....but everyone will like it......erm.....did you not hear what i said the first time? i don't have it. plus, and never will. did you do a survey of the club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I used to work in a bar for a long time and got used to catching people's wrists by the pressure point, (in the bar: to stop them grabbing drinks, or to get their hands off other bartenders) so I've used it when dj'ing to stop people grabbing the records.

One night a bird who had already stopped the record once (while I was mixing and concentrating on the other deck) came back to do it again. I caught her wrist and lifted her hand away from the deck (normal procedure) and it all kicked off. Her boyfriend was not best pleased. End result anyway was a good few of them got kicked out. Messy enough.

I don't really get it though. If you don't like the music, fine, go to a different room. If you do like it, why **** it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

As any comedian/dj who has had their set ruined by a drunken cúnt will tell you, females are, by far, the worst perpetrators of that type of nonsense.

It's the whole 'I am hammered, therefore I'm the princess and this whole thing is about me' thing that takes over when you mix oestregen with alcohol.

jtsuited wrote: »
    It's the whole 'I am hammered, therefore I'm the princess and this whole thing is about me' thing that takes over when you mix oestregen with alcohol.

As opposed to,

'I am hammered, therefore I'm the King and this whole thing is about me' thing that takes over when you mix testosterone with alcohol & cocaine':D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

As opposed to,

'I am hammered, therefore I'm the King and this whole thing is about me' thing that takes over when you mix testosterone with alcohol & cocaine':D

yeah but all that happens there is the subject starts talking nonsense and chatting up skirt.

which is what we all do to varying degrees anywho.

jtsuited wrote: »
    yeah but all that happens there is the subject starts talking nonsense and chatting up skirt.

which is what we all do to varying degrees anywho.

And then throwing shapes at the DJ for telling said bit of skirt to píss off, ah we are such predictable creatures;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

not dj'ing (cos I wouldn't know where to start) but on Sat night I performed at an event in West Cork and the following happened during my live ambient set where normally the audience are chin stroking folks sitting around listening and enjoying jazz tobacco or a glass of red :

1) 5 mins in and a group of pilled up scumbags started a kung fu fighting display complete with flying kicks in the middle of the room which frightened many of the audience away
    2) one scumbag started throwing me dirty looks during above display presumably because my music did not sound like the soundtrack to a 70s martial arts movie
    3) a clown appeared and accidentally unplugged my equipment mid set forcing me to reboot and pick up where I'd left off
    4) a bimbo appeared towards the end of my performance and started hassling me to unplug my keyboard so she could charge her mp3 player on my laptop. The suggestion that she bugger off eventually worked though I had to become ever so slightly truculent (though stopped short using using the 'I know where you live' ace card) :p

I now realise that my mission to bring ambient into the wider world will have to tangent when it comes to similar events.

I would hit the roof if anybody went near my decks let alone cut them out. I've had accidents with people tripping over the power cord or whatever but intentionally stopping the music..... that's another ballgame.

I hope you waited outside after with a speaker stand and taught her never to touch them again :D:)

I think there's a part two of that Steve Angello story where he had another run in or something. I'm not sure but I thought I read it somewhere on Beatportal.

Jesus, if someone purposley killed the music i would be more fearful of the audience giving them a hiding than what the DJ would do.

At least it was like that in the raves i went to, you would have a riot on your hands if the tunes stopped for even 20 seconds.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

old gregg wrote: »
    not dj'ing (cos I wouldn't know where to start) but on Sat night I performed at an event in West Cork and the following happened during my live ambient set where normally the audience are chin stroking folks sitting around listening and enjoying jazz tobacco or a glass of red :

1) 5 mins in and a group of pilled up scumbags started a kung fu fighting display complete with flying kicks in the middle of the room which frightened many of the audience away
    2) one scumbag started throwing me dirty looks during above display presumably because my music did not sound like the soundtrack to a 70s martial arts movie
    3) a clown appeared and accidentally unplugged my equipment mid set forcing me to reboot and pick up where I'd left off
    4) a bimbo appeared towards the end of my performance and started hassling me to unplug my keyboard so she could charge her mp3 player on my laptop. The suggestion that she bugger off eventually worked though I had to become ever so slightly truculent (though stopped short using using the 'I know where you live' ace card) :p

I now realise that my mission to bring ambient into the wider world will have to tangent when it comes to similar events.

Was that at the Earthstar party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Was that at the Earthstar party?

yep

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was DJing a house party when some drunken yoke was all over me trying to skratch the record as it was playing. I stopped her as I was mixing at the time. Well anyway she was persistent so I told her she can mess skratch on the slipmat while I get another record.
    Well what a ****ing mistake that was! She'd only gone and put the needle on the slipmat while I was digging for the next track. The needle was bent sideways and I didn't have a spare with me. I managed to bend it back into a position that at least played the track but all skratching was out the window from then on.
    Then she has the cheek to be pissed off because I snapped at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NEVER let ANYONE touch your kit. Let one and everyone will want a go. No end of hassle.

Advertisement