Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please

Options
  • 13-06-2011 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I'm really interested in this estate-this house came up for sale in April and went sale agreed quickly (seemingly)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=586791

I didn't bother to look at it as it has a north facing back garden and I'm only interested in the houses in that style with the south facing back gardens.

I was surprised it sold so quickly-thought it was €30/€40 overpriced for the area and similar properties (might be wishful thinking on my behalf as, at the price listed, it's out of my budget)

Rang the estate agent who told me that it sold for MORE than listed-Mmm truth-I'm sceptical.
    One odd thing-while property had a 'for sale' sign-its never had a 'sale agreed' sign up-sign disappeared within a few days of appearing to go 'sale agreed'

Anyway, just wondering what a realistic price would be for a similar house in this estate in the current market.
    (Not that there are any suitable houses actually for sale-we're continuing to rent til we see either a house in this estate or a nearby one)

My budget is a MAX of €300k preferably closer to €250k

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Estate agent is full of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

In my experience you cannot believe a word that many EAs say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Westbury is quite sought after though isnt it.... Im quite sad in that I LOVE looking at houses and often check daft and I honestly have only seen 2 or 3 houses in the estate go up for sale in the last 4 years I have been living in Lucan, they never last for long on daft either. For people specifically looking to be in the catchment area for the schools beside it is the nicest estate there is. I do think it may be overpriced a bit and if I had the money I would not be paying that, I would be more than happy to look into Cannonbrook across the way, houses come up ofte enough in there and last a fair bit longer, ok the estate isnt as private with school parents parking there but the houses are lovely and it is nice enough. Even going up as far is the Finnstown estates would mean, as far as I know, the kids would be looking at going to Adamstown schools, secondary at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

We are looking at buying at the moment, having sold just in time last year..

Every time we ring the EA about a property, we get this guff about how he's just meeting the seller who is probably gonna reduce the price by 20 or 30K.... Or trying to push the properties which have been on his books for longer.....

Without doubt, every EA i've met is misleading you in one way or another..

Whether they are selling to you or for you, they are constantly creating an impression that you are in danger of missing out..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They are without doubt dispicable to deal with, a bitter after taste leftover from the Boom..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Have to say that the EA that we used to sell our house was good-very happy with him and would recommend him if I knew of anyone selling in Lucan.
    Love the Westbury estate-fits all my criteria (walking distance to shops/schools, not too far from village etc) Am looking for our forever house but may be waiting a while to find the right house in Westbury.
    Never considered Cannonbrook-didn't think it was as 'nice' (I don;t like the look of some of the houses down the St Finians end). I'll take a walk around it one of the days and see what its like
    Saying that we've been renting in Hillcrest for the last 6 months and love it. Nice feel about the place and nice neighbours-now if I could wave a magic wand and make the house we're in have 4 bedrooms, play room and a sunny back garden-I'd be sorted ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Totally off topic, but could I suggest an east-west facing house as being very viable?!

You get sun all day in some part of the house - if you like being out in the garden in the evenings, then try and get one with the back facing west, as you'll get the full effect of the sun from early afternoon (bout 2ish) until it's dark. With a north/south facing house, one part of the house will almost always be slightly cooler - often a lot colder - also often damp, and will rarely get sunshine or as much light.

Sorry, I know it's totally off topic, but just thought I'd say it in case you're ruling out east-west facing houses in your search through that estate. I would absolutely, definitely buy an E-W house before I'd buy one that has any face pointing north. I grew up in one that faced east, and I'm now living in one that faces west. There's sun somewhere in the house all day, and it's lovely!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

dan_d wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but could I suggest an east-west facing house as being very viable?!

You get sun all day in some part of the house - if you like being out in the garden in the evenings, then try and get one with the back facing west, as you'll get the full effect of the sun from early afternoon (bout 2ish) until it's dark. With a north/south facing house, one part of the house will almost always be slightly cooler - often a lot colder - also often damp, and will rarely get sunshine or as much light.

Sorry, I know it's totally off topic, but just thought I'd say it in case you're ruling out east-west facing houses in your search through that estate. I would absolutely, definitely buy an E-W house before I'd buy one that has any face pointing north. I grew up in one that faced east, and I'm now living in one that faces west. There's sun somewhere in the house all day, and it's lovely!!:D

Yes an east or west facing one is definitely a runner. Had a west facing garden in my last house and loved it. In a house with a north east facing garden and its cold. Want a garden thats warm enough to put 2 kids out to play in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Have to say that the EA that we used to sell our house was good-very happy with him and would recommend him if I knew of anyone selling in Lucan.
    Love the Westbury estate-fits all my criteria (walking distance to shops/schools, not too far from village etc) Am looking for our forever house but may be waiting a while to find the right house in Westbury.
    Never considered Cannonbrook-didn't think it was as 'nice' (I don;t like the look of some of the houses down the St Finians end). I'll take a walk around it one of the days and see what its like
    Saying that we've been renting in Hillcrest for the last 6 months and love it. Nice feel about the place and nice neighbours-now if I could wave a magic wand and make the house we're in have 4 bedrooms, play room and a sunny back garden-I'd be sorted ;)

I have to say I would love Cannonbrook or westbury myself, I do like Hillcrest too, some lovely houses at the back, some need work whereas others are stunning. We are renting and actually got a house in agp where the other half is from and I love it, really love it, we have an extension with a playroom and garage, right beside field and kids can walk to school and back. Finians doesnt seem that bad either. I would definitely give Cannonbroo a look but if you are not in a rush wait around, there are some houses in Cannonbrook that have been for sale a while though so you might get a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

Is Finians really a fine place? I was driving around to see what's the area like as I'm interested a few houses in that area and some kids throw stones at my car, was just my bad luck or this area always like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Until there is a national price database for property sales (like the rest of the world?) EAs will lie.

You know an EA is lying .. when their mouth is moving.

Least honest profession there is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement