Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm hand

• 13-06-2011 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I could do with a bit of help on the farm for a few Saturdays to get some improvements in before winter. There is a lad down the road who is not working so I was thinking of asking him.

Whats the going rate per hour or day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what sort of wotk is he doing ,ask him what does he expect to get, how many hours would you have him for, i assume it will be cash in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

whelan1 wrote: »
    what sort of wotk is he doing ,ask him what does he expect to get, how many hours would you have him for, i assume it will be cash in hand?

Fencing, a small bit of concrete to put in, some other small bits and pieces of tidying. I don't want to ask him without having a rough idea what the going rates are. It will be cash in hand alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Fencing, a small bit of concrete to put in, some other small bits and pieces of tidying. I don't want to ask him without having a rough idea what the going rates are. It will be cash in hand alright.

€80 a day for good man, not afraid to strain a muscle or two, and generally handy. Throw in a plate of spuds and mate;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Yeah between 70 to 90 would be the going rate for a good man cash in hand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

hi robin,

as its kinda a one-off and as its a Saturday id be inclined to go balls out and get a good days work out of him and throw him the tonne 100 euro even into his hand going out the door in the evening and early start again next week:D:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

If by any cance your in Kilkenny I could do it

Thanks for the advice lads. I will ask him what he expects to be paid but I will aim for the 70-80 euro mark. Have to dose the calves as well and this is not a one man job anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

on the odd occasion that i get a hand in for the day its 100euro from 9 in the morning till 6 that night... and they'll be worked hard all day. always prefer to give a little more so they are always happy to come back when i'am stuck in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Thanks for the advice lads. I will ask him what he expects to be paid but I will aim for the 70-80 euro mark. Have to dose the calves as well and this is not a one man job anymore.

Assuming you can get the cattle in and out of the yard, on your own or with what ever family help you have to stand in the aould gaps, it would be far cheaper to get the vets to do the job, and any other vetinary tail ends that need doing, than pay a fella €80 cash:confused:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Assuming you can get the cattle in and out of the yard, on your own or with what ever family help you have to stand in the aould gaps, it would be far cheaper to get the vets to do the job, and any other vetinary tail ends that need doing, than pay a fella €80 cash:confused:

Read my initial posts. Dosing the calves was work that could be done on top of the work I already mentioned. I could get the vet to vaccinate the calves against pneumonia when I am doing the herd test maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

8 to 6 i get the even tonne with the dinner thrown in. Don't spend much time sitting on my ass for that. Don't mind throwing on an extra half hour or hour for that though if something needs to be finished off. If treat your labour well then they will nearly always treat you well in return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Martin 83

If the man youre going to get is collecting the dole and you employ him this way I am fairly sure that You ,as the employer, can be fined a lot of money.
    I know the odds of it happening are pretty slim but still...

Advertisement