Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention People Of Clare - Meteor Goodie Bag

• 13-06-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to share a bit of info.

I dunno how many other Meteor users are out there, but they offer a new 'goodie bag' promotion which means if you are a customer who tops up by €20 a month they will give you vouchers.

I got two cinema tickets for topping up €20 a month for four months. Turns out they are only good in cinemas in Dublin, Cork, and the North.

They don't even put that in the fine print, you find out when you get the vouchers that they aren't accepted in tonnes of places.

Just a heads up.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Weird because i used a cinema voucher the other night in Storm Cinema in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Melion wrote: »
    Weird because i used a cinema voucher the other night in Storm Cinema in Limerick

Thats still quite a hike from Ennis. It defeats the whole purpose of using a free cinema ticket if you have to find a lift to Limerick to use it sure.

They should at least list that on the website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

But you said they were only accepted in Dublin, Cork and the North. Clearly not true.

Stop being pedantic. They are also accepted in a few other areas, I didn't list every single one specifically, but it doesn't change the fact you can't use them in this county and must drive a significant distance to find a place that does accept them.

Any money you would save by using a free ticket would be instantly wiped out by the cost of transportation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So Meteor are having a promotion by giving free products belonging to a company, bit like them saying Free Pizza, but only from Pizza Hut. Storm Cinemas are in Oranmore as well aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

CptSternn wrote: »
    Stop being pedantic. They are also accepted in a few other areas, I didn't list every single one specifically, but it doesn't change the fact you can't use them in this county and must drive a significant distance to find a place that does accept them.

Any money you would save by using a free ticket would be instantly wiped out by the cost of transportation.
    Have you raised the issue with Meteor?

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Have you raised the issue with Meteor?

I emailed the Goodie Bag group directly from their website and asked if I could return the tickets and get something else that would be relevant to my location. I'll post back when they reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I emailed the Goodie Bag group directly from their website and asked if I could return the tickets and get something else that would be relevant to my location. I'll post back when they reply.
    I'm not a Meteor customer so I'm not familiar with their products or promotions. However, I feel that they should at least be giving you enough information to allow you to make an informed decision before you commit to topping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A couple of chains own most of the cinemas in Ireland so I'm assuming that's the reason.

Thank god Empire Movieplex is ran by people who actually care. It's clean and they hire projectionists who aren't ****ing idiots. The odd time I go to the Omnixplex in Limerick or Galway the speakers are broken, there's selotape on the screen to fix tears and the pictures not set up properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

A couple of chains own most of the cinemas in Ireland so I'm assuming that's the reason.

Thank god Empire Movieplex is ran by people who actually care. It's clean and they hire projectionists who aren't ****ing idiots. The odd time I go to the Omnixplex in Limerick or Galway the speakers are broken, there's selotape on the screen to fix tears and the pictures not set up properly.
    What are you on about? They are money hungry and don't care about their clientele, they don't have to either since they are the only cinema in Ennis.

They shoved as many seats as possible into each screen, forgetting about those who are on the tall side and have no where to put there legs when sitting down. Sitting down for a movie in Ennis that breaches the 2 hour mark is not something alot of people I know would do and make the trek to Limerick for a bit of comfort.

The prices are outrageous, as is the student reduction that can only be gotten from Mon - Thurs.

They also only get movies in that sell, they avoid horrors as much as possible because apparently it "attracts the wrong crowd" (travelling community).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A tickets 8.50? Think it's 6 before 6pm? Seems much the same as most other places. The sweets are a lot cheaper than elsewhere, and you aren't forced to buy massive bags.

I'm 6ft tall and have fairly long legs but hadn't really noticed the leg room issue. My main concern is the seats aren't filthy. I go to Limerick the odd time because they have more stuff on but the state of the place nearly puts me off. Went to see Win Win a few weeks ago there was a broken speaker buzzing next to my right ear. And selotape in the middle of the screen. One of the other screens has a big brown stain down the middle where someone threw a coke at it, been like that for 5 years. Everything in the place is just sticky.

My favorite cinema would probably be the Eye in Galway but even though they've twice as many screens there's often nothing on. The arthouse screen is massively under utilised in there.

I don't care for horrors (bar the odd really good one) so I wouldn't have noticed. All I know is the Gate in Cork seem to show nothing BUT horror, romantic comedy and kids movies most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I just wanted to share a bit of info.

I dunno how many other Meteor users are out there, but they offer a new 'goodie bag' promotion which means if you are a customer who tops up by €20 a month they will give you vouchers.

I got two cinema tickets for topping up €20 a month for four months. Turns out they are only good in cinemas in Dublin, Cork, and the North.

They don't even put that in the fine print, you find out when you get the vouchers that they aren't accepted in tonnes of places.

Just a heads up.

In other words, they are carrying out a "phoney" promotion:eek:

Battleflag wrote: »
    They shoved as many seats as possible into each screen, forgetting about those who are on the tall side and have no where to put there legs when sitting down. Sitting down for a movie in Ennis that breaches the 2 hour mark is not something alot of people I know would do and make the trek to Limerick for a bit of comfort.

The prices are outrageous, as is the student reduction that can only be gotten from Mon - Thurs.

They also only get movies in that sell, they avoid horrors as much as possible because apparently it "attracts the wrong crowd" (travelling community).

I like the cinema in town, but you are right about the prices, horror films, and of course the seats. Oh the feckin seats!

I'm 6'2" and it kills me in the seats there. Even when I sit down with my back straight my knees are digging into the wooden seats in front of me. I have to sit next to the aisle and stick my legs out when going to movies there.

And it does piss me off that the whole Saw movie franchise along with countless other horror films I wanted to see at the cinema were not shown.

But sure, I'm not traveling all the way to Limerick either just to watch a film. Tis why I only go about once a year. I much rather watch it at home these days where am comfortable and it doesn't cost me upwards of €50 to see a film (tickets for me and the wife + popcorn + candy + drinks = €50)

I was willing to go twice in one year with the free tickets I was supposed to get, but alas, even those turned out to be a sham as well.

And they wonder why people download films these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've been to the cinema in Ennis twice in the past month or so, before that it was well over a year since I was there, used to make the treck to Limerick, they have new seats in Ennis now and it makes it far more comfortable.

Back to Meteor, there's a freebie alert in the BA section here of free hotspot access, might be useful for some.

Clareman wrote: »
    Back to Meteor, there's a freebie alert in the BA section here of free hotspot access, might be useful for some.

Eircom has the same deal. All Eircom customers get those hotspots free until next January. If you are a 24 meg NGB customer you get a free account for the wifi forever.

Advertisement