Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarence Clemons of the E Street Band has had a stroke

Options
  • 13-06-2011 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

As the title says, apparently he's quite seriously ill. Thoughts are with the Big Man.

Link
    Clarence Clemons, saxophonist with Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, has suffered a stroke.

The 69 year-old musician, who has played with Springsteen for nearly four decades, was taken ill at his home in Florida over the weekend (June 11-12), according to reports. The severity of his condition is not yet clear, though Showbiz411.com claims that he is "seriously ill".

Known as the 'Big Man', Clemons has been a key part in defining the sound of the E Street Band, contributing the iconic sax parts on hits like 'Born To Run' and 'Thunder Road. Most recently, he turned up on Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' album, playing on tracks 'The Edge Of Glory' and 'Hair'. He performed as part of her band on the recent American Idol series finale.

Last year Clemons underwent two knee replacements and back surgery, and as a result described his last tour as "pure hell" due to the pain. His last performance with the E Street Band was December. He was scheduled to perform the US National Anthem at the NBA Finals Game 2 last week, but had to pull out to due to a hand injury.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,872 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope he will be ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

:(

Best wishes to the Big Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Just gutted...........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

and scared. Prognosis not too good

members of the E Street Band "were advised to get down to Florida as soon as possible."

www.nj.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Read his book Big Man earlier this year and found myself grinning a lot. It was clear from the book that a lot of the E Street guys were really struggling physically to keep the show on the road at their age.

Just hope he's not suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Everyone needs to just go home and play Jungleland and Bobby Jean. Very loudly.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

From Backstreets today:

The latest out of Florida has Clarence Clemons in better condition
    than anyone expected, a close friend tells Backstreets: "Yesterday, it
    did not look good at all. Today... miracles are happening. His vital
    signs are improving. He's responsive. His eyes are welling up when
    we're talking to him. He was paralyzed on his left side, but now he's
    squeezing with his left hand. This is the best news we've heard since
    [the stroke] happened — it's nothing short of miraculous. The next
    five days will still be critical. But he's a fighter."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just wouldn't be the E Street band without Clarence

hope he gets well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

We wish we could be like him but we can't.

Get well soon Big Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Just been watching Live in New York and Tenth Avenue Freeze Out just blows me away! When he's introducing the band, the cheers for Clarence are just incredible! "Do I have to say his name? Do I have to say his name?! Say who?" CLAAAAREEEENCE!! :)

Get well soon Big Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BaltimoreJack

It seems he's making some form of recovery....but still very touch-and-go. Thoughts and prayers are with you Big Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Not sure what to say or think. Bit surreal. Praying to God you pull through Big Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

"When the change was made uptown
    And the big man joined the band
    From the coastline to the city
    All the little pretties raise their hands"

Thoughts with the Big Man

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Unfortunately, Clarence has had his share of health problems. He suffered a heart attack a few years ago. And on the last couple of tours, he had major problems with his mobility .

But he is the 'King of the World and the Master of the Universe' and won't be knocked down easily. Get well soon, Big Man

One of history's three most important people

Few Bruce quotes on the news:
    Springsteen confirms Clemons stroke.

Rock star Bruce Springsteen has confirmed that saxophonist Clarence Clemons of his E Street Band has suffered a stroke, saying "initial signs are encouraging" but he faces a long recovery.

Clemons, 69, who lives in Florida, fell ill over the weekend, according to sources on gossip and fan websites and Rolling Stone magazine.
    But representatives for the horn player known as Big Man had declined to disclose any information about his condition.

Springsteen, in a statement on his website, said, "By now, many of you have heard that our beloved comrade and sax player Clarence Clemons has suffered a serious stroke.

"While all initial signs are encouraging, Clarence will need much care and support to achieve his potential once again.

"He has his wonderfully supportive wife, Victoria, excellent doctors and health care professionals, and is surrounded by friends and family.
    "I thank you all for your prayers and positive energy and concern. This is a time for us all to share in a hopeful spirit that can ultimately inspire Clarence to greater heights."

Clemons underwent double knee-replacement surgery in 2008 and walked for the first time in three months when Springsteen and the E Street Band played the Super Bowl in 2009.

Springsteen's statement said fans could send email messages to Clemons at:
    notestoclarence@clarenceclemons.com

Clemons started playing with Springsteen's E Street Band in 1971.
    His gritty, haunting solos power such hits as Born to Run, Jungleland, Prove It All Night, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out and Badlands.

Away from the E Street Band, Clemons enjoyed a hit single in 1985 with You're a Friend of Mine, a duet with Jackson Browne.

He has dabbled in acting and worked with other artists including Ringo Starr, Aretha Franklin and Lady Gaga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

mars bar wrote: »
    A friend of mine in Boston is friends with curt ramm who played horns with Bruce and band has confirmed the death of the big man. His website is jammed at the moment.
    RIP Clarence.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Awfully sad news if true.

Makes me want to listen to his sax solo and great vocals on If I Should Fall Behind.

The king of the universe is dead?

RIP

Nothing on Curt Ramm's website or on Backstreets.com. I think you've just started a nasty rumour.

I didn't start it and never would start such a rumour but it seems no matter who you're contacts are, you can still get it wrong.

I apologise profusely guys and am actually glad it's only a rumour. I feel terrible, I'm gonna go into a corner and beat myself up now!

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    I didn't start it and never would start such a rumour but it seems no matter who you're contacts are, you can still get it wrong.

I apologise profusely guys and am actually glad it's only a rumour. I feel terrible, I'm gonna go into a corner and beat myself up now!

Don't worry about it - we all get things wrong from time to time, including me.

Apologies to KnifeWrench - clicked the wrong QUOTE button.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Think it might be best to delete the post.

I don't mind deleting it but it has been quoted...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Brokenhearted.

Didn't think for a second in 2009 that would be the last time I'd see Clarence playing live.

Rest In Peace, what you've given will always remain.

--

clarence-clemons-2jpg-ee9817671630fb02.jpg

B1WlUk9z3ES._SL600_.jpg

large_bruce1.jpg

bosskiss.JPG

maxweinberg567.jpg

clarence-clemons.jpg

Obviously this song was written for Terry, but can't help thinking that the lyrics are befitting of the loss of the Big Man also:

Well they built the Titanic to be one of a kind, but many ships have ruled the seas
    They built the Eiffel Tower to stand alone, but they could build another if they please
    Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt, are unique I suppose
    But when they built you, brother, they broke the mold

Now the world is filled with many wonders under the passing sun

And sometimes something comes along and you know it's for sure the only one
    The Mona Lisa, the David, the Sistine Chapel, Jesus, Mary, and Joe
    And when they built you, brother, they broke the mold

When they built you, brother, they turned dust into gold

When they built you, brother, they broke the mold
    They say you can't take it with you, but I think that they're wrong
    'Cause all I know is I woke up this morning, and something big was gone
    Gone into that dark ether where you're still young and hard and cold
    Just like when they built you, brother, they broke the mold

[harmonica bridge]

Now your death is upon us and we'll return your ashes to the earth

And I know you'll take comfort in knowing you've been roundly blessed and cursed
    But love is a power greater than death, just like the songs and stories told
    And when she built you, brother, she broke the mold

That attitude's a power stronger than death, alive and burning her stone cold

When they built you, brother
    Clarence and his nephew Jake on sax from the RDS 2009:

R.I.P. Clarence.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

First time i saw him in person, went on to shake his hand after that.

dsc00562ob.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

RIP Clarence.

The word legend gets bandied about a lot, but The Big Man was a true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

RIP Clarence. The E Street band will not be the same without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

RIP Clarence....The Big Man has left the building.....

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I'm shocked. I was sure he'd pull through this. :'(

RIP Big Man, Gone But Never Forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

RIP Big Man - your legacy will live forever. Gone but never forgotten.

Advertisement