Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarence Clemons of the E Street Band has had a stroke

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BaltimoreJack

Over 30 years of wonderful memories. Personal favourite of mine is Jungleland. Rest in Peace Big Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e4-20tqC4A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Gutted. Can't believe it. :(

RIP Big Man
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

RIP, Clarence.

Thanks, Big Man, for the great music and the great memories.

They'll be rocking in heaven tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

RIP Big Man

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RIP Big Man.

I think I'll wear by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band T - Shirt today in memory of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

OutlawPete wrote: »

Clarence and his son Jake on sax from the RDS 2009:

Nephew.

Still in shock. Cant imagine what the band are going through. So, so gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

rip big man.

anyone who hasn't read his book go treat yourself.

too many legends passing on lately.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

anyone who hasn't read his book go treat yourself.

Kept meaning too and will this week to mark his passing.

I would also really like to see his recent film: Who Do I Think I Am?

His first ever Tweet :p

clarclemonstwitter.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

RIP Clarence.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Today another piece of my rock n' roll soul has gone.

Clarence was one of the good guys. A true romantic - ask any of his many wives.

His life with Bruce began with a door blowing open, now a door in all our lives has blown shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

What can you say about the man that hasn't been said already?
    Very sad news I was optimistic he would pull through having read during the week that he was showing signs of improving.
    First time I saw him and Bruce was a few years ago with my father and it's one of my fondest memories. They played "Jungleland" that night and it was magnificent.

R.I.P Clarence "Big Man" Clemons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Sad news indeed. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Nice tribute from U2 last night- check out intro and then ending around the 6.35 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS5HzSYgq2Y

Nice tribute from U2 last night- check out intro and then ending around the 6.35 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS5HzSYgq2Y

**** U2, half the songs in their set were dedicated to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I suppose it would be too much to expect that they might actually know the words of a Springsteen song, or be able to play it. Is that a stand-in drummer or has Larry changed his look?

**** U2, half the songs in their set were dedicated to somebody.

Not sure what point you are trying to make but sounds cynical. I'm not a big U2 fan but know Bono and Bruce are good friends for a long time. As I said, nice tribute, was not just a brief mention, took time to obtain and read lyrics from Jungleland a song that Clarence had a significant part to play in.

I suppose it would be too much to expect that they might actually know the words of a Springsteen song, or be able to play it. Is that a stand-in drummer or has Larry changed his look?

Bono has sang Promised Land with Bruce on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Bono has sang Promised Land with Bruce on a number of occasions.

They played 'She's the One' (or He's the One) in Giant's Stadium the Night of the Boss's 60th Birthday.

Also remember a nice rendition of My Hometown in Croke Park., 85/86 I think.
    Slight lyric change within the song to suit Dublin as well, dropped the "black and whites" reference and changed to "whats wrong and whats right" .

Not sure what point you are trying to make but sounds cynical. I'm not a big U2 fan but know Bono and Bruce are good friends for a long time. As I said, nice tribute, was not just a brief mention, took time to obtain and read lyrics from Jungleland a song that Clarence had a significant part to play in.

My point is there were songs dedicated to all and sundry at Annaheim, as is the habit of U2. Never miss an opportunity.

• Advertisement

Lets bring this thread back:

...from a quote from Backstreets '[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As long as we tell the stories, as long as we play the songs, as long as we remember, the Big Man will always be with us' [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'm listening to Meeting Across The River. Class.

My point is there were songs dedicated to all and sundry at Annaheim, as is the habit of U2. Never miss an opportunity.

Who else? Did they they take the same time reading lyrics from one of their songs .
    In the 80's they paid tribute to people like MLK, Nelson Mandela and many more.
    Did these tributes mean nothing also ? What opportunity did that provide U2 . What opportunity did last nights tribute to Clarance provide U2 ?

Did Bruce's tribute to Johnny Cash or John Lennon on the nights they died provide him an oppprtunity ? Do you look at everything in life like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jaysus, get over yourself :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

U2 also did a big tribute to Michael Jackson, which I thought was typical of Bono and his faux-sentimentality.

I fail to see any connection between U2 and Michael Jackson over the course of their entire careers. He would never have done any tribute to Jackson while Jackson was alive, because Jackson was toxic, and celebrities like Bono wouldn't want to be 'tainted'. Jackson wasn't cool for 20 years until he died, and Bono has spent all that time trying too hard to be cool.

Bono, to some people, just seems to thrive on sentimentality.

Having said that, I don't think he was being disingenuous with the tribute to Clarence. I'm sure they have known each other personally.

A tribute from U2 to Clarence Clemons was entirely appropriate, and I would have been shocked if there hadn't been one.

RIP Clarence Clemons.

As an aside, I'll never forget seeing the band perform Long Walk Home. Clarence's powerful sax. And the emotion when Bruce sang the verse beginning with "My father said 'son, we're lucky in this town, it's a beautiful place to be born...'", and Clarence pumping his fist in the air, shouting encouragement into Bruce's ear, and Bruce kept singing, eyes closed, right foot stomping.

Wonder will Bruce bring the East Street Band on the road again? Not sure how you can replace the irreplaceable.

Wonder will Bruce bring the East Street Band on the road again? Not sure how you can replace the irreplaceable.

I think he will without question. Look how they incorporated so much of Danny's passing into the last tour. Be great if Jake was up for it, I'm sure he has the talent.

Here's some footage I shot of Bruce paying tribute to Danny in 2008:

Private Clarence Clemons memorial features Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, other E Streeters’ tributes:
    A memorial service for Clarence Clemons, saxophonist for Bruce Springsteen’s E Street band, has just concluded at the Royal Poinciana Chapel. Mr. Clemons, a resident of Singer Island, died Saturday from complications of a stroke he suffered a week earlier. He was 69.

The private, by-invitation service for 200 family members and close friends was scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.

Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, and current and former members of the E Street Band attended. Springsteen gave the eulogy for Mr. Clemons, his friend of nearly 40 years.

“Clarence lived a wonderful life,” Springsteen wrote in a statement on his website. “He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage, His loss is immeasurable.”

Springsteen, Browne and the band members performed the musical parts of the service.

A private reception is to follow the service.

Clemons, nicknamed 'The Big Man’ because of his 6-foot-6 frame, was born Jan. 11, 1942, in Norfolk, Va., the grandson of a minister.

In addition to the E Street Band, Mr. Clemons performed with the Grateful Dead, the Jerry Garcia Band, Ringo Starr’s All Star Band, Aretha Franklin, Roy Orbison and Jackson Browne.

He also had his own band called the Temple of Soul.

He is survived by four sons and his fifth wife, Victoria, who also spoke during the service.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I think he will without question. Look how they incorporated so much of Danny's passing into the last tour. Be great if Jake was up for it, I'm sure he has the talent.

Here's some footage I shot of Bruce paying tribute to Danny in 2008:

Excellent footage...hope you're right but i wonder whether Max and Roy would be up for a tour. Max certainly is struggling after having heart surgery last year and Roy I think has arthritis in his hands. Somehow the Sunday night in 2009 felt like the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Excellent footage...hope you're right but i wonder whether Max and Roy would be up for a tour. Max certainly is struggling after having heart surgery last year and Roy I think has arthritis in his hands. Somehow the Sunday night in 2009 felt like the end.

I also felt like that Sunday night was the end of the road, but now I am thinking they will do one last tour in memory of the big man. He really was amazing man. he will be so missed.

I can only think how his family and the members of the E Street band must feel.

Rock on big man.

xxx

Advertisement