Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont BOI or AIB do a visa debit card

Options
  • 13-06-2011 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Laser cards are so archaic, I mean Ulster bank and PTSB have one , why not the 2 biggest banks in the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

iirc, boi have it in the pipeline

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dod78

i think AIB are bring out a mastercard one soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Uh it has been a pain for me too. Laser is fairly useless outside Ireland and I hate credit cards. The sooner AIB release a VISA debit card the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Laser cards are so archaic, I mean Ulster bank and PTSB have one , why not the 2 biggest banks in the country?
    dod78 wrote: »
    i think AIB are bring out a mastercard one soon
    Visa Debit definitely. Rollout in 2012 likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I know BoI are doing Visa debit this year.

With AIB, is the above speculation or does anyone have hard information that they will ditch Laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

You have to love Ireland, only a quarter of a century behind our neighbours across the pond on this one. Although i believe those you mentioned have a vested interest in the laser card.

Vote with your feet, i left PTSB to go to Halifax for the card and then went to Ulster for it. (although ive had a DC since i was 18)

Having a laser is like having this nice cream nokia from '85.

Kyle-Bean-Russian-doll-style-evolution-of-cell-phones-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Fungus wrote: »
    I know BoI are doing Visa debit this year.

With AIB, is the above speculation or does anyone have hard information that they will ditch Laser?
    AIB moving to Visa Debit is definite, not speculation. The 2012 schedule is informed speculation. Ultimately, they won't make an official announcement until they have the schedule confirmed.
    daithijjj wrote: »
    You have to love Ireland, only a quarter of a century behind our neighbours across the pond on this one. Although i believe those you mentioned have a vested interest in the laser card.

Vote with your feet, i left PTSB to go to Halifax for the card and then went to Ulster for it. (although ive had a DC since i was 18)

Having a laser is like having this nice cream nokia from '85.

I can't understand this. How is laser "a quarter of a century behind our neighbours" or "archaic" as the OP put it. It is a perfectly modern debit card which works in the same way as Laser. The only difference is that while Visa Debit achieved global dominance (due to it coming from a company that is one half of a global duopoly - something which is a recipe for disaster), Laser/Maestro only achieved Irish (and European, to a degree) acceptance. They're both the same thing (ie an electronic debit card), and are inferior to credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

dotsman wrote: »
    AIB moving to Visa Debit is definite, not speculation. The 2012 schedule is informed speculation. Ultimately, they won't make an official announcement until they have the schedule confirmed.

I can't understand this. How is laser "a quarter of a century behind our neighbours" or "archaic" as the OP put it. It is a perfectly modern debit card which works in the same way as Laser. The only difference is that while Visa Debit achieved global dominance (due to it coming from a company that is one half of a global duopoly - something which is a recipe for disaster), Laser/Maestro only achieved Irish (and European, to a degree) acceptance. They're both the same thing (ie an electronic debit card), and are inferior to credit cards.

All i can say about that is from my experience, granted i travel alot and so does my family. We all live in Ireland at the moment and we all moved to visa debit as soon as the option was there.

Its pretty simple, and due to laser's lack of international and online usage and general 'pain in the arse' syndrome when trying to pay for stuff that gets turned down. The reasons for which im not interested in really, all i know is that i have never had one problem with visa debit/visa delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because they have laser.

I was at a meeting with AIB recently and they said although it is planned to have it replace laser it will not happen short term, and will be a year or two. I can't remember the exact reason but they were still working out details with Visa on the merchant side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

I remember having a visa debit card when I lived in france, 15 years ago, then came home and we were only beginning to introduce laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Any one know if the BoI Rollout has started to happen yet? Due in 2nd half 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

dotsman wrote: »

I can't understand this. How is laser "a quarter of a century behind our neighbours" or "archaic" as the OP put it.

Because you cant use it online or outside of Ireland. I know some will argue you can use it abroad, but in my own personal experience it didn't work in various POS tried in 6 different countries in Europe. The vast majority of retailers dont take it abroad.

I remember getting my first visa debit card when I opened my first bank account at the age of 16 with Halifax in Northern Ireland. That was almost 9 years ago. Ireland took an awful long time to catch up.

Oh the joy when I got my PTSB Visa Debit in the post :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Last update I was given is that it will be Autumn this year, so I'd say we should start to see it maybe in September, fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm disappointed by the delay AIB, I had an AIB Debit Visa issued by their offshore bank in the 90s. Wonder if the hold up is Irish officialdom red tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

How would it be? The other banks (PTSB, Ulster and the late Halifax) have/had them. If AIB wanted to, they could have switched to Visa Debit years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is the main reason I'm now switching to Ulster Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just switched to Ulster Bank today for it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

So whats the difference between Visa Debt and Maestro? Maestro's a multi national debit card from Mastercard thats been on my ATM card along with laser for the last decade. Can someone give me a reason why I'd want to go the hassle of changing banks for Visa debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Well, my main attraction is for ordering online, nearly every site accepts VISA, but only a small few take Laser, which can be very annoying! And I'd rather a debit card, than a credit card :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

maximoose wrote: »
    Because you cant use it online or outside of Ireland. I know some will argue you can use it abroad, but in my own personal experience it didn't work in various POS tried in 6 different countries in Europe. The vast majority of retailers dont take it abroad.

Never hard a problem in France with my Laser.
    LoGiE wrote: »
    So whats the difference between Visa Debt and Maestro? Maestro's a multi national debit card from Mastercard thats been on my ATM card along with laser for the last decade. Can someone give me a reason why I'd want to go the hassle of changing banks for Visa debit?

People really need to get this right. Maestro, although owned by Mastercard is not the Mastercard-equivalent of Visa Debit, and I really wish people would stop acting like Mastercard pretend it is (probably why you don't see the difference).

The Mastercard equivalent of Visa Debit, is Mastercard Debit, and (like a Visa Debit) functions like a credit card for nearly all purposes. Some British banks issue them instead of Visa Debit. My bank in France also issues Mastercard Debit.

Mastercard/Visa Debit are just different types of "cards" to their "credit" counterparts.

Maestro is a whole different system to Mastercard, and a system has to be explicitly designed to accept it. This isn't the case for MC/Visa Debit - if will accept the credit cards, it will accept the debit cards.

Like others have said online is a big disadvantage of Maestro. It's better for POS-usage, even internationally, but I'd be more confident of acceptance with a Mastercard/Visa Debit.

I also wonder why it is Mastercard is prepared to lose the business of virtually every Irish bank for debit cards. They will all ultimately abandon Laser/Maestro, yet they all seem to be switching to Visa. You would think Mastercard would try to switch them to MC Debit...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stato x

I use my laser in a few countries on my travels and never found a place that wont take it in the last couple of years.
    I dont understand the fuss here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Debit
    Laser
    Credit Cards.

Wat da bloody kettle is da difference :pac:

I have one of each. and dont know the difference. my credit card is a pre pay so its the same as my Laser card which is now revoked and i got a new one which is a Debit card . Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

My laser only works in ATMs in the US and Wal-Mart of all the stores/restaurants I've tried using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Debit
    Laser
    Credit Cards.

Wat da bloody kettle is da difference :pac:

I have one of each. and dont know the difference. my credit card is a pre pay so its the same as my Laser card which is now revoked and i got a new one which is a Debit card . Huh?

Debit - is a card that takes money from your bank account
    Laser - a form of Debit card
    Credit Cards - accepted more universally than Laser internationally, money isn't taken directly from your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Toots* wrote: »
    Last update I was given is that it will be Autumn this year, so I'd say we should start to see it maybe in September, fingers crossed.

Is this for AIB or BOI? I would love to be rid of my laser card, it's a right pain in the arse for online shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Most online stores I try to buy from wont accept my AIB Laser card. So I switched to Ulster Bank, just for the Visa.

Sometimes I feel like Ireland are using HDDVD players, while the rest of the world are using their BluRays and laughing at us.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like Ireland are using HDDVD players, while the rest of the world are using their BluRays and laughing at us.

I know exactly what you mean haha, seriously back arse country! play.com just accepted my laser card for the first time just there and I've been trying for the last 14 months so I'm quite happy with that. It would be great if they could roll out Visa Debit a bit faster as loads of sites seem to be accepting that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

LoGiE wrote: »

Maestro isn't accepted in the States outside of some ATMs and even then, not all support it. The way it is portrayed on it's site is that it is the debit card form of the Mastercard but it's not (which I found out to my horror when on holidays earlier this year). I tried it for a load of resterants/shops/motels but no go. Useless.

• Advertisement

Maestro isn't accepted in the States outside of some ATMs and even then, not all support it. The way it is portrayed on it's site is that it is the debit card form of the Mastercard but it's not (which I found out to my horror when on holidays earlier this year). I tried it for a load of resterants/shops/motels but no go. Useless.

Had the same problems while living in Hungary this summer... Big red head up on me when my card was rejected at the till while trying to pay for groceries!

Advertisement