Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont BOI or AIB do a visa debit card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Had the same problems while living in Hungary this summer... Big red head up on me when my card was rejected at the till while trying to pay for groceries!

Well, at least you weren't caught by the atm having an abnormally low limit of between 140 to 200 dollars a day.:pac: I was buggered coming and going...thank Christ I had my return flight paid for before I landed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Well, at least you weren't caught by the atm having an abnormally low limit of between 140 to 200 dollars a day.:pac: I was buggered coming and going...thank Christ I had my return flight paid for before I landed there.

Was caught at a few atms alright.. Only the bigger chain ones recognised my laser as a maestro/cirrus/ whatever they use abroad... I'll be talking travellers cheques next year! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Seriously? I've been to the US twice and never ever had a problem with my Maestro card on any ATM there. Mind you that this was around 4 years ago so I doubt they changed that. Granted it was a German Maestro card but that shouldn't make a difference.

Also, I left Germany 1 year ago and at that point 99% of German ppl (me included) didn't even know a Visa Debit Card exist. When my partner from Portugal tried to pay with a Visa Debit in one of the biggest electronic stores they wouldn't take it as, I quote, "don't accept credit cards".

So much for being behind HERE....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

My Laser/Maestro was never accepted in a store in the US but have used it in ATMs all over the country there, including in small local backs in Memphis and Santa Fe. But it did have a ridiculously low limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ebola_Gray

Well, first, Irish Maestro cards are unlike other Maestro cards. They don't really work reliably online or outside of ROI.

I went the Neteller route for a debit card I can use anywhere. The main hassle with it is that it takes about 2-5 days to transfer money from your Irish bank account to your Neteller account.

Plus there are large fees for cash ATM withdrawals, but purchases are free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Ebola_Gray wrote: »
    They don't really work reliably online or outside of ROI.

This is deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 HuD

Hi,
    I've been with BoI for years but now I can't get a credit card from them. My last CC was Halifax who stopped trading. I want a Visa Debit card but BoI won't be issuing them till December. Fed up with Laser.
    I'm thinking seriously about jumping ship to Ulster Bank. For any of you who've gone that route, is it all positive or were there any drawbacks?
    All feedback appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

HuD wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been with BoI for years but now I can't get a credit card from them. My last CC was Halifax who stopped trading. I want a Visa Debit card but BoI won't be issuing them till December. Fed up with Laser.
    I'm thinking seriously about jumping ship to Ulster Bank. For any of you who've gone that route, is it all positive or were there any drawbacks?

Opened an account (current plus saver in about 15 mins) in Ulster branch and had debit card in 7-10 working days. Ive had no issues since i opened it. Not one problem with debit card.

Dont bother with bank switch service, do it yourself if you can, thats the only way to guarantee it will be done right and quick in my opinion. My brother did the bank switch service, was at least 6 weeks to 2 months before it was sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 HuD

Hi, Thanks for that. Will probably go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Maybe I missed something, but, has anyone answered the OP's question?

There are replies here explaining when they WILL be coming out. Not why they are not out already. Ulster Bank have debit cards a while now. Handy.

IMO AIB and BOI are a shower of thieves.

I'm with Ulster Bank. Grand, as banks go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Maybe I missed something, but, has anyone answered the OP's question?

There are replies here explaining when they WILL be coming out. Not why they are not out already.
    Why? It's pretty simple. There is very little benefit to them moving to Visa Debit, but a huge cost. Not only to the banks, but ultimately to the customer.

Secondly, the vast majority of their customers don't care as, for most customers, there is no difference between maestro and visa.

Now, maybe you think the irish banks are all fine and dandy with lots of cash to spare over the past few years, but ultimately, moving their debit cards from maestro to visa was not exactly the top priority for them, especially when it offered very little gain and would only have been a very short term implementation.

They are moving now as they are moving to contactless cards, which are far superior to the standard visa debit cards currently available. Will you or the OP be posting on here in a year's time asking why the other banks are so archaic and behind-the-times etc?

IMO AIB and BOI are a shower of thieves.
    Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

HuD wrote: »
    Hi,

Ulster bank are great, had no issues opening the account and neVer had a problem with them, have a u first account so for 14 a month they insure my phone for free, an interest free overdraft.on the a/c plus a load of other benefits, considering I was paying 22 pm for phone insurance with O2 I'm actually saving money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Does anyone know for sure when BOI plan to issue the Visa Debit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

sitstill wrote: »
    Does anyone know for sure when BOI plan to issue the Visa Debit cards?

We have BOI rep coming to work once a month, and i asked ab. that last week, and she told that they are starting issue the cards on november.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I was in a BoI branch a couple of days ago and the guy behind the counter said that they were bringing out a Visa debit card very soon - he didn't give a date though and in fairness, i didn't ask.

Advertisement