Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Pet to Aus : Working Hol Visa

Options
  • 13-06-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hullo,

Myself and my partner intend to move to Melbourne on a working holiday visa this time next year. I'm 27 he's 29.
    I'm in the initial stages of researching so just wondering does anyone have any advice re: WHV and bringing pets to Australia? If we had the opportunity to extend this stay we definitely would.
    I've read all the Australian Quarantine & Importation Service sites as well as www.daff.giv.au etc so just looking for more personal stories/experiences from anyone who has embarked on this route?

Thanks in advance!

:]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Firstly I would point out that you don't (or shouldn't) move to Aus on a WHV. You come on a holiday on a WHV. You're taking a big risk if you're coming on a WHV and hoping for sponsorship. Fair enough if you want to take that risk, but do it with your eyes wide open.

Secondly, I think costs to transport a pet are between $2,000 and $3,000 each way. It's a lot for a year or two. But each to their own. I'm leaving Aus in two weeks and the cats are staying with family. If we're still in Ireland in two years then they might follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lush Puppy

Apologies if my syntax wasn't correct, I intend to stay in Aus for up to 2 years maybe 3 if possible but no more than that.
    Cost is not an issue if I means I get to have my dog with me so 'each to their own' most definitely applies to my situation!
    I'm actually looking for more constructive stories with regards the process of people bringing pets to Aus and not criticism of my motives and spending. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Lush Puppy wrote: »
    Apologies if my syntax wasn't correct, I intend to stay in Aus for up to 2 years maybe 3 if possible but no more than that.
    That's nothing you have to apologise for. I just wanted to make sure you weren't making a common mistake.
    Cost is not an issue if I means I get to have my dog with me so 'each to their own' most definitely applies to my situation!
    Absolutely. Just making sure you're aware. We decided it was too much for us. Horses for courses.
    I'm actually looking for more constructive stories with regards the process of people bringing pets to Aus and not criticism of my motives and spending. Thanks.
    That wasn't my intention, but it's a public forum so you get what you get (within reason).;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

pretty detailed thread already posted, no need for a 2nd.

You'll find it difficult with a dog on a WHV, firstly staying in hotels and hostels will be difficult, and also farm work, you might not be allowed to stay with pets (to get your 2nd WHV)

you mentioned cost isn't an issue, but logistics certainly are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement