Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasal aspirator?

• 13-06-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So our (13 month old) daughter has really, really badly stuffed up nose at the moment and we're finding that olbas oil in a bowl under her cot and Vicks Vapo-rub on her chest and back aren't enough to keep her nose clear. We also have saline drops too.

I've been thinking of buying a nasal aspirator but can anyone recommend a good one? Has anyone else used one, if so, what one and was it any good?

No point in recommending a visit to a Doctor, been there, done that :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My daughter was badly congested last week with teething.

What we found helped
    - Putting a rolled up towel underneath the top of the mattress to raise it a small bit (easier to breathe than lying flat)
    -Snuffle babe rub on her chest with top of her sleepsuit left open at the top
    -Karvol capsules in a bowl of boiling hot water in the room, the steam helps to loosen her chest
    -Sterimar nasal spray to clear out nose (I find this better than the drops)
    -I don't our aspirator as she doesn't like it, but it is good to use in conjunction with the nasal spray to clear out her nose ask your pharmacist to recommend one for babies.

Also Calpol/Neurofen if she is in pain/uncomfortable/has tempreture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

I'd heartily recommed the http://nosefrida.com/

I ordered it off amazon after giving up on the bulb type ones, they're useless whereas with the nosefrida you can actually suck the beggers out! Gross but kinda satisfying :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ah crap! I was hoping nobody would recommend this :( I saw it in Boots and my first thought was 'Gross'! :(

Ah well, it does seem like the only option, loads of online reviews say the bulb-types are useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lola92 wrote: »
    My daughter was badly congested last week with teething.

What we found helped
    - Putting a rolled up towel underneath the top of the mattress to raise it a small bit (easier to breathe than lying flat)
    Already doing this :)
    -Snuffle babe rub on her chest with top of her sleepsuit left open at the top
    Vick's does the same thing, doing this :)
    -Karvol capsules in a bowl of boiling hot water in the room, the steam helps to loosen her chest
    Olbas oil in hot water - doing this :)
    -Sterimar nasal spray to clear out nose (I find this better than the drops)
    Sorry, I said saline drops, I meant spray - she hates it but we have done it.
    -I don't our aspirator as she doesn't like it, but it is good to use in conjunction with the nasal spray to clear out her nose ask your pharmacist to recommend one for babies.
    Also Calpol/Neurofen if she is in pain/uncomfortable/has tempreture.
    Yup, we're Neurofen fans, mostly because the syringe is easier to use :)

Thanks for the advice, looks like we're doing all we can...now to get the nasal aspirator :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Already doing this :)

Vick's does the same thing, doing this :)

Olbas oil in hot water - doing this :)

Sorry, I said saline drops, I meant spray - she hates it but we have done it.

Yup, we're Neurofen fans, mostly because the syringe is easier to use :)

Thanks for the advice, looks like we're doing all we can...now to get the nasal aspirator :D

I use the syringe for every type of medicine, they were giving them out free in the pharmacy near me the last time and she gave me one with the Calpol, syringe rules...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ah crap! I was hoping nobody would recommend this :( I saw it in Boots and my first thought was 'Gross'! :(

Ah well, it does seem like the only option, loads of online reviews say the bulb-types are useless.

Sorry!!! It's gross but effective, just don't forget to rinse it out in hot water while the snots are still liquidy- mush easier than trying to clean dried snots. Bleeeuurrrggghhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Be careful with the vicks.. its strong on baby skin and not really recommended for under 2's .. is it teething or hayfever? my lad is 17 months but about 2 months ago he was really bunged up .. i assumed it was teeth but after week put 2 and 2 together and figured it was hayfever, i talked to the pharmacist who recommended a trip to the gp to get a prescription for a reduced amount of zirteck. he hasn't looked back since and we get some sleep aswell ;)

Advertisement