Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nore Valley Walk

Options
  • 13-06-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if its possible to cycle these walks.

Ive a trail.mountain bike and im particulary interested in kk to bennetsbridge

Is there any other mountain bike trails around kilkenny

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've cycled it but there's a lot of getting on and off to get over gates. I haven't tried it yet but I've been told that Leighlinbridge to St. Mullins is pretty uninterupted. Generally though I put the bike on the car and head to Ballyhoura you're more than welcome to join me.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

thanks for that, ill give the kk to bennetsbridge bit a go, did you try thomastown to inistigue?

Do you know how far the trail goes on the other side of the river starting on the canal walk. There is a open gate at the end with a trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I used to walk along the Barrow (St Mullins-Leighlinbridge -or farther- or anywhere in between) and it's definitely suitable for cycling. A very lovely area too- highly recommend it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just wanted to check something lads,

The Bennetsbridge walk from Kilkenny City, this begins at the end of the canal walk at the side of the castle yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

No, it's actually on the other side. There's a link here: http://www.everytrail.com/guide/trail-kilkenny-ireland-kilkenny-to-bennetsbridge that shows a map of the whole route.
    A lot of people do also walk on the castle side of the river, but it doesn't go the whole way to Bennettsbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wisco wrote: »
    No, it's actually on the other side. There's a link here: http://www.everytrail.com/guide/trail-kilkenny-ireland-kilkenny-to-bennetsbridge that shows a map of the whole route.
    A lot of people do also walk on the castle side of the river, but it doesn't go the whole way to Bennettsbridge.

Thank feck I checked it or that could have been annoying,

Ran about 2km past the canal walk yesterday evening and was debating doing a run to Bennetsbridge and back for something different as a long run at the weekend (roads get boring).

Thanks for the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thank feck I checked it or that could have been annoying,

Ran about 2km past the canal walk yesterday evening and was debating doing a run to Bennetsbridge and back for something different as a long run at the weekend (roads get boring).

Thanks for the link :)

its great to see this trail finally getting some attention! I started running this a few years back just before they did the improvement works. From the Lacken steps on the Dublin Rd to the bridge in Bennetsbridge is exactly 6m miles(GPS watch) I have done this a couple of times and love it - it is a super run - especially love where the trail goes under the new motorway bridge - its a cool structure, also the scenery is gorgeous and the trail is well maintained. Enjoy the run if you get to it.

Rantan wrote: »
    its great to see this trail finally getting some attention! I started running this a few years back just before they did the improvement works. From the Lacken steps on the Dublin Rd to the bridge in Bennetsbridge is exactly 6m miles(GPS watch) I have done this a couple of times and love it - it is a super run - especially love where the trail goes under the new motorway bridge - its a cool structure, also the scenery is gorgeous and the trail is well maintained. Enjoy the run if you get to it.

Great at least I know the trail must be decent enough if others are running it, ll getting sick and tired of the same old routes for long slow runs the last while so thought a handy enough 12mile run (Bennetsbridge & back) might be nice when I start into training again shortly.

It'll also be nice not to have to dodge motorists for awhile :)

Hope to get the chance to do it either this Sunday or next weekend at some stage, though if its pouring like today I'd say it'll be muddy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Cabaal wrote: »
    Great at least I know the trail must be decent enough if others are running it, ll getting sick and tired of the same old routes for long slow runs the last while so thought a handy enough 12mile run (Bennetsbridge & back) might be nice when I start into training again shortly.

It'll also be nice not to have to dodge motorists for awhile :)

Hope to get the chance to do it either this Sunday or next weekend at some stage, though if its pouring like today I'd say it'll be muddy as hell.

I was just going to say that if it stays dry today it should be fine for tomorrow but as I speak the f&&in' rain has started pouring again! I was hoping to try it tomorrow too - i got a pair of Adidas Canadias(€50 in a sale!) specially for running this track a few weeks back and they make a big difference..patience needed though when its not fully dry - there is also a strech of about a half mile on thr Sion road that takes you off the track.

Advertisement