Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Planet X

Options
  • 13-06-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

Having considered all the options I'm leaning toward the Planet X SL...Rival and got in touch with the reseller in Athlone. They were very helpful but the simple fact of the matter is that the have very little in stock (at this time of the year) and pretty much the same waiting time as ordering directly from the UK. Of course being able to try the bike first is a big advantage and I was told that if I called ahead they'd try to have a suitable bike available.

I didn't anticipate a three week wait and really would like a bike asap. Can anyone tell me roughly how long it is taking from the UK at the moment? The same three weeks I assume?

I was also drooling over the Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0. I assume ordering from them is no quicker (and probably slower)?

Then there's the Boardman Team Carbon with 105 at about 1650 which seems like poorer value than the other two? Is it?

I've also been scanning Adverts.ie but a lot of people don't seem to grasp that riding your bike in dry weather only doesn't make it good as new (adverts speak = mint) and isn't particularly credible anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Try five weeks and counting, from the same lads in Athlone, after an initial 2-3 week wait estimate. It's not their fault (they're dependent on the state of play in PX UK) but I've had to chase them for updates. Victims of their own success. Hey, I should take this to www.whitewhine.com ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Bugger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Wiggle deliver a bike in about a week. There was a thread the other day about their carbon bikes, called best value carbon bike, try a search.
    Also crc have the cube gtc pro for 1500 atm if that's any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

humbert wrote: »
    I was also drooling over the Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0. I assume ordering from them is no quicker (and probably slower)?
    This link will show you what they currently have in stock. If you navigate your way to the Ultimate CF 8.0 page you should see a 'CHECK AVAILABLITY' link which will indicate when they expect to have a bike in across all sizes. I've only ever ordered what they currently had in stock and on each occasion delivery was 4/5 working days thereafter. It might also be worth your while to see what they have in the outlet section

Lemag wrote: »
    This link will show you what they currently have in stock. If you navigate your way to the Ultimate CF 8.0 page you should see a 'CHECK AVAILABLITY' link which will indicate when they expect to have a bike in across all sizes. I've only ever ordered what they currently had in stock and on each occasion delivery was 4/5 working days thereafter. It might also be worth your while to see what they have in the outlet section

Thanks a lot. Frankly Canyon are more expensive than I was looking at but lack of availability of alternatives is a good excuse and they are very pretty.

At the risk of appearing to be a moron, what is "Current CW"? It's currently 28/29 so unless it's hours or date of the month it doesn't look promising :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Karagesh

CW = Calendar Week. Germans love the project management stuff.

Karagesh wrote: »
    CW = Calendar Week. Germans love the project management stuff.

Once again, bugger. That translates to a 4/5 week wait again.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

oflahero wrote: »
    Try five weeks and counting, from the same lads in Athlone, after an initial 2-3 week wait estimate. It's not their fault (they're dependent on the state of play in PX UK) but I've had to chase them for updates. Victims of their own success. Hey, I should take this to www.whitewhine.com ...

I'm on week 6 for a SL Pro Carbon (xl) from the guys in athlone. It would be great to get delivery this week but I doubt it

I'm starting to look at the Boardman Team Carbon. In the UK with a 10% web discount it's about 1350 Euros which is pretty close to the PX but it's heavier and I believe 105 is inferior to Rival. It seems that it was cheaper with Rival last year :(

Any opinions?

Thanks a lot. Frankly Canyon are more expensive than I was looking at but lack of availability of alternatives is a good excuse and they are very pretty.
    Sexy more so than pretty IMO ;)
    Once again, bugger. That translates to a 4/5 week wait again.
    Did you have a look in the outlet section for something suitable? All of the bikes there are fully built and ready to ship.

• Advertisement

Sexy more so than pretty IMO ;)
    Indeed :)
    Did you have a look in the outlet section for something suitable? All of the bikes there are fully built and ready to ship.

I did but according to their sizing chart I'd take a 56cm frame (~182cm with about 82cm inseam) and the selection there wasn't great. At 58cm there's a wider selection but the most appealing options are Campagnolo Athena which is very Euro but restrictive and from what I've read takes quite a lot of maintenance.

I'm starting to look at the Boardman Team Carbon. In the UK with a 10% web discount it's about 1350
    If you're looking at the boardmans in Halfords you can get a further 15% if you (or someone you know) have an AXA insurance policy.
    is pretty close to the PX but it's heavier and I believe 105 is inferior to Rival. It seems that it was cheaper with Rival last year frown.gif

Any opinions?
    Shimano and sram are different. They both work so it's about personal preferance really. I've had both. I have sram now and really like it.

Do you know if the web discount and AXA discount can be applied together? Seems very optimistic!

Do you know if the web discount and AXA discount can be applied together? Seems very optimistic!
    Don't know but I doubt it. As far as I know, one has to show them a policy when buying in store. If it's you friend's policy then your friend has to "buy" the bike, I think.

Don't know but I doubt it. As far as I know, one has to show them a policy when buying in store. If it's you friend's policy then your friend has to "buy" the bike, I think.

Ah, I see. Thanks again!

Ah, I see. Thanks again!
    No worries. Good luck with the search. The Canyon Outlet Store changes quite often so if you check back regularly you might get lucky. They were also doing great deals last year during the TdF. It might not be a coincidence that a lot of their bikes are expected to be available during it.

I'll check the outlet up until I buy but I'd say that will be within the week as I'm only guaranteed to be in the country for a few months and I want to get out asap!

I'll check the outlet up until I buy but I'd say that will be within the week as I'm only guaranteed to be in the country for a few months and I want to get out asap!
    Yep. No point in waiting around for a bargain if you've got no bike to be out cycling on in the mean time. Good luck with it. You might update this thread regarding what you've gone for when you do eventually pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

The Boardman Team Carbon would probably be your best bet in this case. Supposed to be a great bike with plenty of happy owners on this forum.
    The weight difference to the PX is only around half a kilo which isn't much when you thinks about it.

Dubba wrote: »
    The Boardman Team Carbon would probably be your best bet in this case. Supposed to be a great bike with plenty of happy owners on this forum.
    The weight difference to the PX is only around half a kilo which isn't much when you thinks about it.
    Half a kilo can be very significant. Add that to my bike and it'd be almost race legal :D

• Advertisement

Well just to give this thread closure..I bought the Boardman Team Carbon.

I'm coming from a Specialized Allez (double I think) so a Tiagra/Sora groupset and about 9.5kg.

I didn't notice a huge weight difference when I was in the shop and given the relatively small difference it isn't surprising. Having been out on it (over the hills around Carlingford) a few times my first impressions are:

It feels very very solid/stiff when climbing. The Allez sometimes felt a bit lively which which I didn't mind at all but this is a welcome change.

I'm only getting used to the road bike geometry again and at first I felt a bit stretched but now it feels good. I'm not overly keen on the 105 hoods yet or the handlebars on the Boardman. Loving the Fizik saddle though.

The biggest difference I've noticed is when I'm travelling at speed, especially coming down hill. Even on some pretty awful roads there is much less jitter. The Allez frame used to buzz coming down hills and on rougher roads it would decidedly dance, the Boiardman doesn't.

Don't like (yet):
    Handlebars. there's a greater curve at the top which I don't really like. I've been trying different adjustments so maybe I'll find something comfortable.

The 105 groupset is definitely an upgrade from the Allez and it's just fine but in no way amazing. Shifting is smoother even under some pressure but you have to throw the inner lever(for moving to a smaller sprocket) pretty far and coupled with more sprockets means your pretty busy when you reach the top of a hump.

I thought I wouldn't like the compact but I haven't found myself running out of gears (don't race and terrible roads so no speed descending) and I am availing of the granny gear quiet often.

Conclusion: Love the bike but have major SRAM Rival envy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

They give you an AXA card. Good for hotels, etc.

*In a very fast, barely audible voice "AXA is regulated by the ...."*

Good choice. It looks lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Looks great, good luck with the new rothar!

What was the cost in the heel of the hunt if ya don't mind?

Advertisement