Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€70,000 spent annually on public toilets

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Those out of touch morons in the UDC can spend money like Christmas, as they have no accountability

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Would be interesting to know what the €69,407 breaks down to per 'go' ... probably the most expensive 'spend a penny' this side of the Urals.

Why would the UDC give a Sh1te ... it's not their money is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I am claustrophobic so I for one will never use them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Goes to show how far they'll go to make sure no one gets anything for free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

For €100 a day, I have two toilets in my gaff and I'll open them to the public! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

CptSternn wrote: »
    That works out to about €100 a day per toilet.
    They would want 10,000 people spending a penny a day just to break even on that figure. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There was a thread about starting your own business in Clare ....... maybe some enterprising individual will find a means of providing toilet facilities as a business :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I am claustrophobic so I for one will never use them.

I'm not claustrophobic but I still wouldn't use them ... they're down right scary
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

At that price, you could nearly have a good set of toilets with an attendant keeping an eye on them like arthurs quay in limerick

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/superloo-costs-euro30-each-time-penny-is-spent-2329077.html

I found that on the web. Looks like €70,000 is for some reason the magic number associated with 'superloos'.

That being said, the article states most of the cost is for renting the land used. Does the council not own those car parks? If so, then why is it the superloos in Ennis are costing the same as ones paying rent? Somethings wrong with those figures sure.

• Advertisement

Another article on Ennis -

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/superloos-cost-town-council-70000-157335.html

It says the council pays a private company to handle the public toilets.

The council is paying advertising company JCDecaux Ireland Ltd. for those two public toilets. It also points out they are under contract until 2017, so there will be no changes or price reductions until then.

This still raises the question, is the council renting the space to the company and then the company is charging the council for the space it rents from them? Talk about convoluted business contracts.

If the council didn't charge them rent, then they couldn't ask for it back, and that could immediately drop the costs by over 50%.

Who came up with that contract?

Advertisement