Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tyre levers?

• 13-06-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

With two bikes, both in need of new rubber, I thought it's about time I did my own tyre changes.
    I have the means of clamping the wheel, and also a supply of air.
    What I am lacking in is tyre levers.
    Anyone know where I can get a set?
    I live close to Gorey town, commute to Bray every day, and have frequent forrays into Dublin itself; so travelling isn't a problem.
    Also, is something like this available in Ireland?.......... http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm
    It's getting rave reviews on various forums, admittedly U.S. based ones; and if it's available here I'd give it a shot.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Any motor factors will have tyre levers. But the hardest part of changing the tyre is breaking the bead and that needs the machine or else careful use of a sledge/lump hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can bead break with the side stand and a bit of rider assistance.
    Or a G-clamp will often break a stubborn bead, same as a big vice.
    If all these methods fail I have had some success with a piece of 2x2 angle iron placed point up and one edge close to the rim and give the point a good bang with a sledge.
    Tyres go on a lot easier if they are warmed in the sun first.
    Make a stand out of some scrap 4x2 so the brake disc doesn't get mashed while you break the bead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Thanks for the replies.
    Breaking the bead is not a problem. I have a length of 4x2 bolted to a wall via a bracket that allows it to pivot up and down. A short distance from the wall is another short, shaped piece of timber attached to the main 4x2 at 90 degrees pointing down, which will push the bead in when pressure is applied to the end of the 4x2. I saw the idea on another forum, and it works well.
    Haven't tracked down any levers locally yet, but I'm still looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Can I also suggest that if you have nice rims that you get some of the plastic rim guards as well?
    Thats a great price for those levers Scotchy, are they any good?

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Can I also suggest that if you have nice rims that you get some of the plastic rim guards as well?
    Thats a great price for those levers Scotchy, are they any good?

Rims are nice enough, but not show quality.
    I have a piece of garden hose that I split lengthways to go over the rim, once I get the tyre into the centre of the wheel.
    Indeed Scotchy, that is a good price. What size tyres/bike are you using those on, and have you bent them yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭scotchy

I bought 3 different sizes from them:o. they were to take on a trip to Morocco as part of toolkit but I didnt need them so havnt used them yet.

I'm a bit a nut when it comes to tools and don't buy rubbish, have to say I was impressed with these for the price.

also, +1 for the rim protectors mentioned above:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

scotchy wrote: »

Many thanks scotchy.
    I followed that link and searched further into his other items. I saw a nice curved type lever... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270691490499&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
    Ordered a pair of those over the weekend. A bit dearer than the straight ones, but the curve should make them easier to use.

Chippy01 wrote: »
    Many thanks scotchy.
    I followed that link and searched further into his other items. I saw a nice curved type lever... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270691490499&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
    Ordered a pair of those over the weekend. A bit dearer than the straight ones, but the curve should make them easier to use.
    Ah Michelin pattern levers?
    I could never get on with them, I prefer the straight ones withe roundy ends on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im deffo gona attempt my next tyre change when the time comes. From reading a guide in a mag and watching youtube vids Its handy enough. Also my size bike is alot handier to fit tyres that a big sports bike. Breaking bead can be troublesome but there are tools available to help that dont break the bank. Im hopefully near 2 years away from changing tires again but ill give it a pop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I use a vice to break the bead..dead easy and doesnt damage the rim.(mine are polished)..also been using those levers above for years.....make sure you use plenty of lube...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I use a vice to break the bead..dead easy and doesnt damage the rim.(mine are polished)..also been using those levers above for years.....make sure you use plenty of lube...:pac:

Could a G clamp do the same job as a vice?

This is cheap and cheerful. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorcycle-TYRE-CHANGER-Workshop-BEAD-Breaker-Stand-/230926055116?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item35c443f6cc

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Kart-Motorcycle-Tyre-Bead-Breaker-Fits-ALL-kart-and-motorcycle-tyres-rims-/251295052099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a825a3143

I would save around 100 euro fitting tyres myself. The initial outlay will be made back after one self fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

How about these? GBP £1.69 for the 300mm lever!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-783175-Tyre-Lever-300mm/dp/B0015NUL3M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410542927&sr=8-3&keywords=silverline+tyre+levers

They have longer ones as well for not much more money. Reviews seem fine.

A big G-clamp would work fine. All you need is a bit of leverage, there's a few videos on youtube with different methods. I was thinking car-jack but I didn't have anywhere handy to wedge it. You also need a valve core remover (Amazon UK GBP£1.62). A special bead-breaker stand seems like total overkill unless you're opening a workshop!

Setting the bead is the other challenge. I saw one method with a ratchet strap around the circumference of the new rubber to push the beads outward so they hold air. Seems you need quite high pressure to pop them on though.
    Or there's the method with fire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Could a G clamp do the same job as a vice?

QUOTE]

Not sure about the G clamp...you need something solid to wedge the tyre against.....i suppose you could put a piece of timber behind the wheel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Just let the air out and ride the bike gently on a flat concrete floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I done my first tyre change last year. I used a shovel to break the tyre off and other DIY tools to remove the tyre and put the new one back on.

I used a mobile air compressor to blow the tyre back onto the rim. I'd never do it again with out a tyre lever and some sort of balancing kit. The front wheel was not balanced afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I done my first tyre change last year. I used a shovel to break the tyre off and other DIY tools to remove the tyre and put the new one back on.

I used a mobile air compressor to blow the tyre back onto the rim. I'd never do it again with out a tyre lever and some sort of balancing kit. The front wheel was not balanced afterwards.

It's fairly easy to make a static wheel balance, plenty of ideas on YouTube, weights can be got from eBay. Dynamic would need a proper machine.

Advertisement