Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to serve with risotto?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm making a butternut squash & wild rice risotto. Sometimes I worry that risotto is too much of the same thing. Kind of like a side dish that should be served with something else. What do people think would go well with that? Maybe some chicken or a salad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

when i make risotto i normally do a wild mushroom one, then serve it topped with a handful of rocket and a sliced chicken breast done on the griddle pan. crispy chicken skin and creamy risotto-nyom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

Any time i cook risotto i always eat it on its on, never serve it with anything. I find it very filling. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Kazbah wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm making a butternut squash & wild rice risotto. Sometimes I worry that risotto is too much of the same thing. Kind of like a side dish that should be served with something else. What do people think would go well with that? Maybe some chicken or a salad?

That sounds like a lovely risotto - any chance I could get the recipe off you pls? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

2 tbspns olive oil
    4 tbspns finely chopped onion
    4 tbspns leek - white part halves and sliced crossways
    8 tbspns grated butternut squash
    200g of carnaroli or arborio rice
    60ml white wine
    100g wild rice
    25g butter
    4 tbspns finely grated parmesan cheese
    sage leaves

Heat oil on high heat. Saute onion. Add squash, leeks & risotto rice. Mix well, After 1 min, reduce heat to medium. Add wine and cook for 30 secs. Continue to add stock slowly until it is fully absorbed. At the end add sage, butter, wild rice & cheese.

They recommend baked crispy parma ham on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I wouldn't like salad with risotto. It's nice on it's own,or with a piece of meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I always serve my risotto with a piece of pan fried hake or cod on top; risotto can be quite filling so a piece of light fish accompanies it quite well I think. I also serve it with a slice of lemon on the side, gives the risotto a nice edge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I usually have garlic bread and a side salad when I make risotto.
    I love it but it can definitely become a bit monotonous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

2 tbspns olive oil
    4 tbspns finely chopped onion
    4 tbspns leek - white part halves and sliced crossways
    8 tbspns grated butternut squash
    200g of carnaroli or arborio rice
    60ml white wine
    100g wild rice
    25g butter
    4 tbspns finely grated parmesan cheese
    sage leaves

Heat oil on high heat. Saute onion. Add squash, leeks & risotto rice. Mix well, After 1 min, reduce heat to medium. Add wine and cook for 30 secs. Continue to add stock slowly until it is fully absorbed. At the end add sage, butter, wild rice & cheese.

They recommend baked crispy parma ham on top.

Sounds lovely, thanks for that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Loopy wrote: »
    I usually have garlic bread and a side salad when I make risotto.
    I love it but it can definitely become a bit monotonous..

I would have garlic bread with risotto, sometimes even some naan bread..

Kazbah, your recipe sounds lovely going to give it a try sometime

I love that risotto. My other fave is beetroot risotto.
    I think I am going to do tiger prawns on top.
    It's very rich/heavy alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Risotto is like a meal in itself, but one addition I have seen in restraunts is a soft poached egg containe within the risotto dish.
    Other than that, small side salad would be all I'd do

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we usually make it with asparagus and beetroot, i love a rocket salad or some herby bread but usually i would just have it by itself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love that risotto. My other fave is beetroot risotto.
    I think I am going to do tiger prawns on top.
    It's very rich/heavy alright!

You must try putting some fresh orange juice in your beetroot risotto and serve with some orange segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

My vote would be a sharp side salad. The dressing could help cut through richness of the risotto.

You must try putting some fresh orange juice in your beetroot risotto and serve with some orange segments.

Thanks, that's a new one for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks, that's a new one for me!

It is such a good combination - particularly good with venison sausages but great on its own too.

BTW there's something wrong with your recipe as typed.

600ml of wine and no stock?
    Also is the wild rice pre cooked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Very thinly sliced ciabatta - baked like cuutons in the oven - with thyme, garlic and drizzled with olive oil - let it cool and you can scoop the risotto up on it. A nice contrast. A side of rocket and a few other mixed leaves is also nice.

Advertisement