Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 3

Options
  • 13-06-2011 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish_whiskey

So another E3 has come and gone and the scenes they showed for MW3 look amazing. Plus the fact the controller disconnected during the demo was pretty funny.

But looking at what EA are bringing in with Battlefield Bad Company 3, I think COD are going to have a battle on their hands. Sure, they have the gripping storyline of Soap and Price but BFBC 3 looked awesome.

Thoughts? Im a mad COD fan, never played BFBC series at all but it looks like a serious investment for October

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Can't say I'm too interested in MW 3. I liked the orginally MW but the second one lost the plot in terms of story.

Asides from the COD series has failed to do much new for the last few times in terms of gameplay and I can't imagine them changing the formula much. Unless a few of my mates say its worth a play I'll think I'll pass.

By the way the new Battlefield game is Battlefield 3 which is seperate from the Bad Company series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MW3 will sell better, regardless. I won't buy it myself, as i've not enjoyed the last 2 games at all. It is increadibly popular though. BF3 is s definite buy from what i've seen so far though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish_whiskey

Well there is something I didnt know, well it was late when I was watching it ;) I really liked the storyline though, I thought it was amazing. A bit OTT but amazing. I loved the older ones and the way a Price is in all of them. Although, most of the FPS do tend to go mad on the old storyline too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Spuddy91

Had the last Battlefield and really loved the online play. It is better than MW2 for online mainliy because of how destructive you can be and the different vehicles available, but MW2 has a better story IMO and it's better to play with your mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Spuddy91 wrote: »
    Had the last Battlefield and really loved the online play. It is better than MW2 for online mainliy because of how destructive you can be and the different vehicles available, but MW2 has a better story IMO and it's better to play with your mates.

Yeah, but the last Battlefield wasn't really Battlefield, it was Bad Company, a consolised form of Battlefield, it was dumbed down with less players. Battlefield never had single player until Bad Company. I'm looking forward to them moving their focus back to PC for BF3
    http://www.g4tv.com/videos/44638/The-History-of-the-Battlefield-Franchise/

As for MW3 I lost interest in that series long ago with all the re-skins and removal of features

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I almost fell asleep when they announced mw3.

As much as BC2 is not battlefield as BF2,BF 1942,BFV players know it , its still vastly superior to the tripe that is now the cod series.
    Horrible series with a horrible community on all formats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

I will stick my neck out . . . . . I cant wait for MW3. I really enjoyed MW2, I mean all of it, I thought the story was great! Multiplayer, although flawed in many ways, is the most polished and fluid multiplayer experience out there!
    On a sidenote, I hate Robert Bowling and his nasally, whiny voice. Makes it hard to watch any videos about it! Sorry about that rant! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Dcully wrote: »
    Horrible series with a horrible community on all formats.

In fairness I found a great community in COD2 and COD4, though i left the PC scene from there with the lack of dedicated servers, plus it turned to utter tripe anyway.

I'll more than likely buy MW3, play the single player then trade it in for some silly price.

In fairness I found a great community in COD2 and COD4, though i left the PC scene from there with the lack of dedicated servers, plus it turned to utter tripe anyway.

Yep agreed, i was referring to every game since COD4, i should have made that clear.
    Theres still plenty of great servers and communities for COD1,2 and 4 on PC thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Dcully wrote: »
    Yep agreed, i was referring to every game since COD4, i should have made that clear.
    Theres still plenty of great servers and communities for COD1,2 and 4 on PC thankfully.

Didn't think anyone still played CoD1 or 2, might have to give them a reinstall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

From what I have heard the only footage of battlefield 3 is the pc version so don't expect it to b looking like that when is comes to ps3 and xbox360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

boiledeggs wrote: »
    From what I have heard the only footage of battlefield 3 is the pc version so don't expect it to b looking like that when is comes to ps3 and xbox360

yep Battlefield 3 was developed with the PC being the primary target, like all true BF games

hopefully it will be a true successor to the Battlefield franchise unlike that POS bastardized version Bad Company 2 & fingers crossed it will be nothing like COD as well

Burgo wrote: »
    Didn't think anyone still played CoD1 or 2, might have to give them a reinstall!

Well worth a reinstall mate.

COD servers
    http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=cod

COD United Ofensive servers
    http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=coduo&vars=

COD 2 servers
    http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=cod2&vars=

I misplaced my COD1 and 2 discs a while back unfortunately but still quite a few people i used to play those games with still operating fine servers and communities.
    I might buy them again if i can find them cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The only reason i would get this is cause i know most of my friends will end up getting it. Didnt really like the BC games, but BF3 looks amazing. Im tempted to build a PC for it as i played BF:V and BF2 to death. If its halfway decent i might just end up buying it on a console, i just dont have the cash to be building new PC's :mad:

I think i had my fill with Black Ops, dont wanna play it again with new skins on everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I am not going to buy another shovelware game from Activision.

BF3 >>>> MW3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Auvers wrote: »
    yep Battlefield 3 was developed with the PC being the primary target, like all true BF games

hopefully it will be a true successor to the Battlefield franchise unlike that POS bastardized version Bad Company 2 & fingers crossed it will be nothing like COD as well

nothing wrong with bad company 2 :rolleyes:

if they called it battlefield 3, then yes, you could nitpick, but its bad company franchise.

i love bc2. It beats cod any day in gameplay quality. damn even console versions got dedicated servers!

i just have a feeling that i will need to get new pc... witcher allready proved to me, that my litte warrior after 3.5 years is starting to show its age! :(

nothing wrong with bad company 2 :rolleyes:

well after playing all battlefield games since 1942, IMO BC2 was a console version and didn't play like any BF game before it, so no need for the rolleyes because you don't agree with me, for me it was terrible and I just hope they don't fcuk BF3 up by trying to make it a BC2\COD clone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Why does it have to be COD or BF? I'll definitely be getting both!
    You can guarantee that the amount of gameplay each of them will give you will make them worth it. Even if you prefer one over the other.
    I prefer COD, but hard to beat sniping on BF!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Auvers wrote: »
    well after playing all battlefield games since 1942, IMO BC2 was a console version and didn't play like any BF game before it, so no need for the rolleyes because you don't agree with me, for me it was terrible and I just hope they don't fcuk BF3 up by trying to make it a BC2\COD clone

Thats why it got the BC name, it's a stand alone series within the BF franchise. You are comparing apples to oranges comparing BC1 and 2 to BF2 and 3. BC is the Kelly's Heros of modern war games, great fun and nothing wrong with them at all unless you were expecting BF3 and 4 from them. BF2 and 3 are the true BF games. Sure 1942 and 1943 play more like COD with vehicles as it is.

Thats why it got the BC name, it's a stand alone series within the BF franchise. You are comparing apples to oranges comparing BC1 and 2 to BF2 and 3. BC is the Kelly's Heros of modern war games, great fun and nothing wrong with them at all unless you were expecting BF3 and 4 from them. BF2 and 3 are the true BF games. Sure 1942 and 1943 play more like COD with vehicles as it is.

I am quite aware of the development of BC2 for the PS3, I just hope that its more BF2 than BC2, it already has worrying signs like regen health and no commo rose & commander

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

what pisses me off about mw3 is the fact the last 5 games have had the same engine, same exploding bins, same debries etc...

the last 5 games could of been exspansions or slight mods.

whats new in multiplayer this time? 2 SIGHTS PER GUN omfg -_-

also they probly have the map pack they will release after 4 months for €15 already made...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nailed it m8. thats what i had in my mind!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mousey- wrote: »
    what pisses me off about mw3 is the fact the last 5 games have had the same engine, same exploding bins, same debries etc...

The last 5 games? It's really obvious that they are still using a modified Quake 3 Arena engine, the same one they've been using since MOH: Allied Assault. Even the seperate .exe files for multiplayer and single player has a bang of Quake 3 Arena off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Why does it have to be COD or BF? I'll definitely be getting both!
    You can guarantee that the amount of gameplay each of them will give you will make them worth it. Even if you prefer one over the other.
    I prefer COD, but hard to beat sniping on BF!

this, fanboy wars make me chuckle so, buy both if you want. I will be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The last 5 games? It's really obvious that they are still using a modified Quake 3 Arena engine, the same one they've been using since MOH: Allied Assault. Even the seperate .exe files for multiplayer and single player has a bang of Quake 3 Arena off it.

Probably why its the smoothest shooter for the consoles.

I dont get the hate that people give CoD. Obviously a lot of people love it or else it wouldn't be so popular. Instead of giving CoD **** you should be directing it towards the other shooters out there... its the other studios job to come up with something better... and so far none has (For consoles obviously)

People always come out with the same old ****.... "OH ITS SUCH AN EASY GAME!" and that it requires no skill. Yet, they're probably the same guys that get 10 kills in a game of dom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I dunno, I did the whole midnight launch thing for MW2 and Blops but for some reason the new one just leaves me cold.
    I would usually be lapping up all the little morsels of information between now and release but releasing two versions a year is kinda taking the mick.
    I only played Blops on the Xbox and one thing that struck me from chatting to other players is the amount of people that only play COD games.

I guess some folk are easily entertained.

weiland79 wrote: »
    I dunno, I did the whole midnight launch thing for MW2 and Blops but for some reason the new one just leaves me cold.
    I would usually be lapping up all the little morsels of information between now and release but releasing two versions a year is kinda taking the mick.
    I only played Blops on the Xbox and one thing that struck me from chatting to other players is the amount of people that only play COD games.

I guess some folk are easily entertained.

I notice the odd person with 35 days gameplay :eek:

I notice the odd person with 35 days gameplay :eek:

I've got over 30 days on MW2

krudler wrote: »
    I've got over 30 days on MW2

Fúcking hell! I go in and out of phases of it. Addicted to it for 3 or 4 days, they won't touch it for 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Fúcking hell! I go in and out of phases of it. Addicted to it for 3 or 4 days, they won't touch it for 2-3 weeks.

I was off work sick for a few months so thats where the majority of that was racked up, I still play a lot of other stuff though

Advertisement