Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 3

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

krudler wrote: »
    yeah but Battlefield is a sequel to a game that came out 6 years ago, MW2 isnt 2 years old yet. Does Arkham City look that different to Asylum? nope, same engine. Gears 3 doesnt look all that different to Gears 1, and thats 5 years old now, just more polished looking but same engine again. Same with Assassins Creed, Uncharted 3, and a half dozen other sequels coming out this year. the IW engine works and I dont mind having the three Modern Warfare games all looking similar as they're direct sequels. if this ends the Makarov storyline then and it begins a new franchise or they go in a different direction for the next one then yeah a new engine would be cool.

Thing about MW though, its still one of the slickest looking MP games on console, hell it probably is the slickest looking, because it runs at 60fps instead of 30fps and it makes a massive difference, its why its so fast paced. MW games are arcadey, fast paced and not to be taken seriously, its not the same type of fps as Battlefield, I'll be buying and hopefully loving both of them.

A storyline they could probably have wrapped in MW2 if it had any sort of decent length. All of the above mentioned games will likely have a substantial single player campaign, on top of whatever multiplayer / co-op modes they will also include (except the single player only Batman). A much better comparison would be Left 4 Dead 2 which got fierce critisim from its own fanbase for being a glorified expansion pack, despite having new maps, modes and a gameplay / engine tweaks.

I wouldn't call myself a COD hater by any means, but I remember how shortchanged I felt by MW2 and I won't be making the same mistake again. I am not so bashing the franchise just outlining the reason why I personally won't be investing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Slow down there now Rambo. I was just pointing out something.

The Gears of War multiplayer requires the player to have lot more gaming skills to be successful.

An obvious example of this and there is many like this_ but how is easy it to get a kill with the Sniper playing Call of Duty?

From what I see you just aim and shoot player dead) With Gears you have to steady your shoot and get a head shot to kill the gears character. Body shots can injure and will bring the character to the ground.

If you want realistic sniping Gears has it buddy.

sniper in GoW? now thats silly, all i can remember from GoW games - barrel roll shotgun to the face. yup, third one is same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Whats happening man

sniper in GoW? now thats silly, all i can remember from GoW games - barrel roll shotgun to the face. yup, third one is same.

Have you tried using the sniper and be realistic friend. I use it and its lot of fun to use, but it damn hard to get a kill from it requires some ability. Well there is only three guns that can be used in Gears 2, so shotgun, is of course going to be used alot by people/ i believe 2 extra weapons has been added to Gears 3- so that a good improvement/ but how good are the Shotguns of Call of Duty compared to shotguns of Gears 3?

Well my opinion is the shotgun has too much of a range in CALL of Duty. Gears you have to get pretty close to your opponent to kill him. more realistic considering what weapon your using.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well i ordered the hardened edition. don't really see the point in argueing about the difference in power in shotguns in 2 video games .

i have played 28 days on mw2 , 672 hours , so if i spent €85 or so euros on the game and map packs works out at €0.12 an hour or so.
    its all about opinions. i enjoy playing cod since i started on cod4. i get better value out of it more than any other game so i have no problem paying €100 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Slow down there now Rambo. I was just pointing out something.

The Gears of War multiplayer requires the player to have lot more gaming skills to be successful.

An obvious example of this and there is many like this_ but how is easy it to get a kill with the Sniper playing Call of Duty?

From what I see you just aim and shoot player dead) With Gears you have to steady your shoot and get a head shot to kill the gears character. Body shots can injure and will bring the character to the ground.

What the hell are you talking about ! I never mentioned any other game besides CoD or said anything about how difficult it is and you reply to me trolling about how gears of war requires more skill ? I don't even play on xbox ! Why would i care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

marco_polo wrote: »
    A storyline they could probably have wrapped in MW2 if it had any sort of decent length. All of the above mentioned games will likely have a substantial single player campaign, on top of whatever multiplayer / co-op modes they will also include (except the single player only Batman). A much better comparison would be Left 4 Dead 2 which got fierce critisim from its own fanbase for being a glorified expansion pack, despite having new maps, modes and a gameplay / engine tweaks.

I wouldn't call myself a COD hater by any means, but I remember how shortchanged I felt by MW2 and I won't be making the same mistake again. I am not so bashing the franchise just outlining the reason why I personally won't be investing in it.

and this is how you construct a decent argument with valid points without resorting to bashing.

If people are that pissed about COD as a franchise, dont buy it, and dont care, jesus, I could rant on about how FIFA and Pro Evo are basically the same games with tweaks every year for the past decade but I dont care, because they're a franchise I have no interest in. Let people buy what they enjoy, and buy the games you enjoy and hope they're good, world keeps turning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Whats happening man

Magill wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about ! I never mentioned any other game besides CoD or said anything about how difficult it is and you reply to me trolling about how gears of war requires more skill ? I don't even play on xbox ! Why would i care.

Ok far enough, but do me a favor, go to the chemist a buy a packet of chill pills. You seem a little stressed out.

Ok far enough, but do me a favor, go to the chemist a buy a packet of chill pills. You seem a little stressed out.

He plays COD, we're all a bit wound up :pac:

He plays COD, we're all a bit wound up :pac:

Dem trolls be trolling ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah, so you're basically saying that, in real life, if you get shot by a Barrett .50cal in the leg, you'll be grand? Whereas in real life the Barrett would blow your leg clean off and leave you dead, or soon to be. That's what CoD are basing the killing on, in Hardcore anyway. In non-hardcore games, you sometimes need 2 shots to kill with the sniper rifles, which is unrealistic really. (Don't believe me? Check out the video on YouTube which shows a mountain goat been shot with a Barrett...)

If you want a proper sniper game, get Sniper Elite which uses trajectory and conditions, etc. If you want fun, get CoD. If you're a CoD hater, get BF3. Simples.

• Advertisement

• More of the same? Sorry to say this but yes it is. This looks like DLC rather than a new game.

Ah, so you're basically saying that, in real life, if you get shot by a Barrett .50cal in the leg, you'll be grand? Whereas in real life the Barrett would blow your leg clean off and leave you dead, or soon to be. That's what CoD are basing the killing on, in Hardcore anyway. In non-hardcore games, you sometimes need 2 shots to kill with the sniper rifles, which is unrealistic really. (Don't believe me? Check out the video on YouTube which shows a mountain goat been shot with a Barrett...)

If you want a proper sniper game, get Sniper Elite which uses trajectory and conditions, etc. If you want fun, get CoD. If you're a CoD hater, get BF3. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

M!Ck^ wrote: »

More of the same? Sorry to say this but yes it is. This looks like DLC rather than a new game.

It does look pretty much the same yes, which is why I won't buy it.
    It's basically MW2 v1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i think it looks like more of a new game than a dlc.

there are plenty of new things in that video, new streak, weapons and plenty of new maps. not sure all this could be changed through a download for mw2.

i'm looking forward to this more than i thought i would, and have even pre ordered it, something i never really do. with the likes of commando , OMA and danger close gone hopefully it will make it a much better game.

i loved mw2 and mw. but mw2 could really get me angry , especially playing demolition (friends i play with like this game mode) against teams using OMA and danger close. many a rage quit from me. these days i mainly like to play snd.

no doubt after a few days there will be some glaring advantages exposed, be it through a set of perks and/or weapons. lets be honest, there will be people with nothing better to do than try expose these. then the bitching will begin. i only hope that how they listened to the community about taking out commando/lightweight/OMA/dangerclose, that they have coded it in such a way where these perks and weapons can be easily modified through an update.

i am not sure on the whole sniper issue with the new game if anyone has any details on it. i rarely use the sniper rifle , not very good with it to be honest, and trying to get good just resulted in rage quits :D . has the quick scoping been made more difficult ? this does not bother me too much, but would like to see a sniper having to at least aim properly at his target, rather thana quick tap of L1 in the targets general direction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

M!Ck^ wrote: »

More of the same? Sorry to say this but yes it is. This looks like DLC rather than a new game.
    "Looks like" because it's the same engine and plays the same? Yes siree, but as has been pointed out already, there's a slew of new content thrown in there too, not forgetting the new SP campaign, all of which combine to make it more than just a DLC expansion.

In a similar way, if BF3 didn't have a new engine just how different would it be from BF2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'd happily pay for Mw2.5 without all the OMA/DC/Commando bullsh*t.

I don't see why people have their knickers in a twist, as Krudler said if you don't like it don't stress over why people do like it.

Saw a good video this morning, although I don't know the uploader. Basically he said that numerically 2 precedes 1, and 3 precedes 2. Modern Warfare is a series, of course there's going to be lots of similarities, why change stuff if it's not broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I'd happily pay for Mw2.5 without all the OMA/DC/Commando bullsh*t.

I don't see why people have their knickers in a twist, as Krudler said if you don't like it don't stress over why people do like it.

Saw a good video this morning, although I don't know the uploader. Basically he said that numerically 2 precedes 1, and 3 precedes 2. Modern Warfare is a series, of course there's going to be lots of similarities, why change stuff if it's not broken?

but they are changing it in bad ways.
    I've played Call of Duty since it first came out and it's gotten progressively worse with each game.
    4 was a breath of fresh air and the less said about 5 the better.
    MW2 I enjoyed however the actual lack of dedicated servers was a shocking kick to pc users and mod teams.
    Black Ops was a pile of junk, it's definitely the least played COD game ever by me alongside WaW....
    I'm not hoping out any hopes for MW3, same crap again but something to make it even worse than previously...but hey...at least BF2, Fifa, Gears of War 2 are all out soon as well so it's no big loss.,

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    but they are changing it in bad ways.
    I've played Call of Duty since it first came out and it's gotten progressively worse with each game.
    4 was a breath of fresh air and the less said about 5 the better.
    MW2 I enjoyed however the actual lack of dedicated servers was a shocking kick to pc users and mod teams.
    Black Ops was a pile of junk, it's definitely the least played COD game ever by me alongside WaW....
    I'm not hoping out any hopes for MW3, same crap again but something to make it even worse than previously...but hey...at least BF2, Fifa, Gears of War 2 are all out soon as well so it's no big loss.,

They've all been out for years ! :P

If you liked MW2 besides the lack of dedicated servers then MW3 should be a one to get for you ? Im pretty sure dedicated servers + Mod tools are coming out on release, could be wrong tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I play them exclusively for the sp (couldn't care less about MP, it's ruining games these days anyway) so I'll defo be buying it on day one. All previous titles have had fantastic campaigns so once this wraps up the story and keeps the pace then I'll be quite happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Magill wrote: »
    They've all been out for years ! :P

If you liked MW2 besides the lack of dedicated servers then MW3 should be a one to get for you ? Im pretty sure dedicated servers + Mod tools are coming out on release, could be wrong tho.

They are, for PC.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    I play them exclusively for the sp (couldn't care less about MP, it's ruining games these days anyway) so I'll defo be buying it on day one. All previous titles have had fantastic campaigns so once this wraps up the story and keeps the pace then I'll be quite happy with it.

how? without the MP MW1 and 2 would be something you can finish in hours, I've been playing them for years now. I've played both campaigns a few times but its all setpieces and being funnelled down a linear corridor to the next action scene. spec ops is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

20 pieces of DLC released over nine months
    Prized events
    Prized operations
    Prized tactical operations with in-game playlist and modes
    Prized clan operations
    Official leagues
    Level up your clan through clan operations
    Unlock clan level benefits
    Unique in-game gold clan tag
    Exclusive in-game clan player cards and emblems
    Access to all in-game clan title cards
    Access to all in-game clan emblems
    Access hours of pro video guides for every weapon and map
    Professional tactics and help
    Share expert community playbooks and strategies fro every map and mode
    Join premium groups
    Early access to test new Elite features
    Eight times more HD video capacity for video uploads
    Four times more user storage for match replays and two times greater video export length
    Access to Elite TV - episodic video entertainment made by top talent

Those who pre-order Elite premium status or the Hardened Edition of Modern Warfare 3 also get Elite Founder status which nets the following additional perks:

Exclusive founder weapon camo
    Founder clan XP boost
    Exclusive founder in-game player card
    Exclusive founder in-game emblem
    Founder private group
    Exclusive founder Call of Duty Elite profile skin
    Exclusive competitions and prizes

This all exists for free on the internet now bar the DLC? or is quite useless.

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

how? without the MP MW1 and 2 would be something you can finish in hours, I've been playing them for years now. I've played both campaigns a few times but its all setpieces and being funnelled down a linear corridor to the next action scene. spec ops is great though.
    The campaigns just remind me of Michael Bay summer blockbusters, cheesy yet enjoyable but instantly forgettable. What they have done though, and I think it's great, is give an added sense of interaction between the player and the environment. Set pieces like the ice-cliff climbing and rooftop escape scenes in MW2 and the final scene in MW1 for instance were particularly gratifying, especially since they didn't' rely on quicktime events like in other games.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    This all exists for free on the internet now bar the DLC? or is quite useless.

wtf?
    It may have existed but it's never been so centralised nor as integrated into the game. Sure it'd be great if it was free but that kind of stuff isn't particularly cheap to either develop or maintain. There's also the other non-game content they're producing for the service which may be of interest to some people.

The most interesting thing to me is the organised tournament. If they can pull off balanced matches for different skill levels, referee them correctly and have some cool prizes for them at the end then I think that's another major draw for the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

One of my favourite gaming moments is in MW2..... pulling a knife out of my chest and throwing into the eye of the biggest **** ever. Bliss. Cheesy cheap bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm already a midnight purchaser, but i'm a bit worried about the whole leaning towards Clans thing. Was never big into the whole clan thing, i like variety, so am i going to be missing out because i'm the only member in my clan (Yurt)?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

long story short - from noob to veteran in MW3 in less then 5 mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was in CEX in London yesterday and they had broken the release date in there and were selling it for a criminal £65.

Advertisement