Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Higher level Maths = The Aftermath *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

∈of C....(complex)........................D
    Way better than the other one. I wouldn't call it 'easy' tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

Paper 2 is my worse of the two papers but i did put a good bit of work into it and generally i'm very happy with it ( Besides Q3 ). Its after making me more optimistic that i didn't fail the whole thing anyway :) All questions were accessible and didn't make me cringe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

∈ of N...(positive).........................B
    Easiest paper 2 i've ever seen tbh

I concur..! :D

I think I have done a near perfect paper.

I am almost certain that Paper 1 and Paper 2 will give me an A2, or at least a B1! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

< 0........(negative).......................C
    Happy out with questions 6 and 7! Loved them. Glad I wasn't relying on question 4, I have never seen that circle yoke before in my life. (Though I vaguely remember it being called a concentric circle...? Maybe?) Didn't touch it.

Question 5 was okay, got the proof out. Couldn't get the next part out. Got the c part all out.

Question 1. Good god. Screwed it up so badly that I'd be surprised if I got more than 15 marks (got part a out...)

Vectors was lovely, except for part a. Have a feeling that was some formula or triangle I was meant to know and didn't. My own fault.

Group theory. WHAT the heck was that?! D: Goddamn tetrahedron made no sense to me. The A part was like... heaven. But the b part 1 and 2 just no. Also made up part 5. Can't wait to see the solutions for that anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

Ive done like 1 a+b, 2a+b, 3 a+ b1, 4 a(att) + b, 5 a+b+c (att) + 8 a+b and I passed away 1hour before the end! FAIL

• Advertisement

polka dot wrote: »
    Vectors was lovely, except for part a. Have a feeling that was some formula or triangle I was meant to know and didn't. My own fault.

Nope, multiply it out and let the i parts equal each other and the same for the js. You'll have a simultaneous equation then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Wow.. I thought it was a nice paper, pretty straightforward, but most girls in my class were complaining majorly about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Wow.. I thought it was a nice paper, pretty straightforward, but most girls in my class were complaining majorly about it!
    As I could never understand vectors, here I done them in 10mins so it was pretty easy. They ballanced 2 papers, so I hope just to pass it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

ChloeElla wrote: »

Ara sure, you'll always have that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

well it was a relieft when I opened the paper and read it. At least it was "normal"

It wasn't too difficult. It was more familiar and common. I did Q 1,2,3,4,5,8

Q1. Part was A was great. B perfect. Part C I couldn't remember, attempt at most.
    Q2. Part A was fine, as was B (I hope) C i was easy. though C ii wasn't
    Q3. A was fine, I hope it was + instead of - the B part was a nightmare! bar i
    Q4. A fine. B I think I got it. C another nightmare!
    Q5. Well, I was getting tried at this stage. A was fine. B was impossible. and C was a real project maths question. I couldn't get it in surd form. kinda weird.
    Q8. Part A was lovely. B little harder. and C was good.

Overall, paper 1 and 2 combined. I'd LOVE a B, although C looks likely. phew least it's all over, btw I get really tried at the end, my concentration drops off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

To prove it I did the thing with the proof slopes of a line but switched it so it was opposite.. :L

Couldn't get 7Cii out.. I used 3 pages and all..! :P

7 cii in 5 lines!. . .Standard Deviation = 1, as the SD from part i cancels out with the upper line

. . .Loved the probability, especially the Pascals Triangle problem. . .

. . .Anyone else get a decimal BD on 5 c ii , and 300root3 for 5c part 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I predicted right again :D I said last night the tan^-1 pi approximation would be great to come up :)

Oh my, what a LOVELY paper. I might be on track to get my B again :D Eeeep

Catacomb wrote: »
    I turned Tan(A+B) into Tan(A-(-B)) used the "Tan(A-B)" formula for it and then turned all the resulting Tan(-B)'s into -Tan(B)?

:rolleyes: I wonder if that will get marks, it just seemed to easy for my liking?

Unfortunately, probably just the attempt. . .but I could be wrong. . .

you've to let tan(a+b)=sin(a+b)/cos(a+b), expand, and divide up and below by cosacosb. . .at least thats the book proof. . .

7 cii in 5 lines!. . .Standard Deviation = 1, as the SD from part i cancels out with the upper line

. . .Loved the probability, especially the Pascals Triangle problem. . .

. . .Anyone else get a decimal BD on 5 c ii , and 300root3 for 5c part 1?

Haha.. It took all of 2 seconds..! :P

And yes I got a decimal... 992.32m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nightdream

That's only the part a of the question, that's meant to be the easy bit!!!
    From what I remember it went on to a part h/j.
    Project maths is an absolute joke!!! Wish I could've done the normal course:mad:

True, the hard part is the last few questions!!!! These one here are meant to be easy:/
    Paper 2 was alright today, although the roof top question took me a long time. And still couldn't get it out:/

Youre probably right

I think I was about 1536.05, ar something in that range. . .probably not right, but anyway. . .

Loved Q4 with the 2 circles. . .pix^2 for part i anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pretty good Paper compared to Paper 1.

Q1: I got some extremely strange answers for nearly every section of this question but nothing I couldn't get out.
    Q2: Only had enough time to get to 2bii (Not counting it anyway)
    Q3: Part a was quite alright. Part B was a bit strange, I got some very strange answers near the end.
    Q4: Loved this question. L'Hopital's rule in part A, trig equation and a lovely question concentric circles.
    Q5: My favourite question on the paper. The simple trig equation was fine. The tan(A+B) identity proof was fine and getting part bii out was surprisingly pleasant. The 3D trig question went perfectly fine as well.
    Q6: Lovely question from start to finish.
    Q7: Lovely question apart from Cii which I managed to answer but i'm not quite sure if I went about it the right way.
    Q8: Int by parts was fine. The max/man question was also quite nice except I may have made a blunder somewhere throughout. Part C was quite nice too.

All in all, far better than Paper I anyway. I just hope the Marking scheme isn't too harsh on this paper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

for anyone who wants a solution to the tan question..

5 B i)

Tan (A + B) = tanA + tanB
    ....................1- tanAtanB

tan (A + B) = sin(A + B)
    ..................cos(A + B)

=sinAcosB +cosAsinB
    ...cosAcosB + sinAsinB

divide above and below by cosB

= sinAcosB/cosB + cosAsinB/cosB
    ....... cosAcosB/cosB + sinAsinB/cosB

=sinA + cosAtanB
    ...cosA + sinAtanB

divide above and below by cosA

= sinA/cosA +cosAtanB/cosA
    ...cosA/cosA + sinAtanB/cosA

= tanA + tanB
    ...1 +tanAtanB

ii) A + B= 90'

tan2A = -1
    tan2B

tan2A
    tan2(90-A)

= tan2A
    ...tan(180-2A)

=tan2A
    (tan180-tan2A)/1 +tan180tan2A .......................tan180 = 0

= tan2A
    ....-tan2A

= -1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

In the question on the Line, (b) (iv) (the last part), wasn't the angle AOB = 90 degrees and the angle A'OB' = 90 degrees?

Hence both angles were equal?

A very nice paper. So sickened I got the (c) (iii) of Q8 wrong. I bet that'll be the difference between a grade, and it was so simple! I realised that it was only a sub-in question as I was sealing the paper. :mad:

Probability and stats Q7 (b) was strange, but quite manageable (required thought though - was a bit deceptive).

Nope, multiply it out and let the i parts equal each other and the same for the js. You'll have a simultaneous equation then! :)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well I was on the right track (...baby I was born this way :rolleyes:) Yeah. I multiplied it out, put i = i and j=j ...

And that's where the similarities end I'm afraid. Half marks maybe! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Now that that's over I hope to never ever have to talk about Maths again. I'm unfollowing this thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Youre probably right

I think I was about 1536.05, ar something in that range. . .probably not right, but anyway. . .

Loved Q4 with the 2 circles. . .pix^2 for part i anyone?

Those numbers look familiar... I'll assume that I got them too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I did too, but I got 1601.something metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

∉ of Q....(craaaaazy)....................Fail
    How many marks will I get for doing this?

5(b)(i)

Tan(A+B) =tanA + tanB
    ...................1- tanAtanB

tan(A+B) =sin(A+B)
    ................cos(A+B)

=sinAcosB +cosAsinB
    ....cosAcosB + sinAsinB

= tanA + tanB
    ...1 +tanAtanB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Why is there so much difficulty with the Tan(A+B)? :confused: I had that down as a normal proof.

I also got a decimal for Q5 (c) (ii), it was something in the late 900's, can't remember exactly what.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Why is there so much difficulty with the Tan(A+B)? :confused: I had that down as a normal proof.

I also got a decimal for Q5 (c) (ii), it was something in the late 900's, can't remember exactly what.

myself and three of the girls got 9999.86 ... :pac: I'm hoping we all didn't make the same mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

∈of C....(complex)........................D
    Easier than Paper II but still reckon i made a balls of it.. So sickened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

hahaha reading some ppls comments on this i feel genuinely depressed im so **** at maths just hope i passed the bloody thing. Q3 was HORRIBLE altho the a part was fine, that b was disgusting bar b(i). And as far as trig goes i never want to see a triangle ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

∉ of Q....(craaaaazy)....................Fail
    Shanee. wrote: »
    Easier than Paper II but still reckon i made a balls of it.. So sickened
    Think you passed?

I think I just passed overall, and on Q6Ci-iv, I had it all right, then decided "You know what, It'd be much better if I f**k with it and make it all wrong!".

WHY DIDN'T I JUST LEAVE IT!!!!!!

EDIT: You mean Paper one was harder than paper two yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

polka dot wrote: »
    myself and three of the girls got 9999.86 ... :pac: I'm hoping we all didn't make the same mistake

I got 1000m.. I think I'm the only one without decimals! :P

Advertisement