Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Higher level Maths = The Aftermath *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

∈ of N...(positive).........................B
    ChloeElla wrote: »
    I got 1000m.. I think I'm the only one without decimals! :P

I did too :pac::D
    The only trouble for me was the concentric circles.. c part 2 :/ the rest was parfait ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

ChloeElla wrote: »
    I got 1000m.. I think I'm the only one without decimals! :P
    Friend of mine got that too...

I wonder how such a simple question is being so divisive. :P

Maybe it depended on the calculator used? I have a Casio fx83-ES

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

∉ of Q....(craaaaazy)....................Fail
    Shanee. wrote: »
    Easier than Paper II but still reckon i made a balls of it.. So sickened

Yeah, I'm the same. Paper one was always easier for me (until last friday), and today it didn't go really well for me too. I know I will be repeating next year at this stage... But what's done is done - now easier exams start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

for anyone who wants a solution to the tan question..

5 B i)

Tan (A + B) = tanA + tanB
    ....................1- tanAtanB

tan (A + B) = sin(A + B)
    ..................cos(A + B)

=sinAcosB +cosAsinB
    ...cosAcosB + sinAsinB

divide above and below by cosB

= sinAcosB/cosB + cosAsinB/cosB
    ....... cosAcosB/cosB + sinAsinB/cosB

=sinA + cosAtanB
    ...cosA + sinAtanB

divide above and below by cosA

= sinA/cosA +cosAtanB/cosA
    ...cosA/cosA + sinAtanB/cosA

= tanA + tanB
    ...1 +tanAtanB

Please someone tell me this will work too:

Tan(A-B) = [Tan(A) - Tan(B)]/[1+Tan(A)Tan(B)]

Then:

Tan(A-(-B)) = [Tan(A) - Tan(-B)]/[(1+Tan(A)Tan(-B)]

Because Tan(-B) = -Tan(B):

Tan(A+B) = [Tan(A)+Tan(B)]/[1-Tan(A)Tan(B)] ...Proven

And the one after that:

(ii)
    Tan(2A)/Tan(2B) = 1

where: A + B = 90*

A = 90* - B

Tan(2(90* - B) = -Tan(2B)

Tan(180*-2B) = Tan(-2B)
    Therefore: (I didn't know what to do so I just decided I'd make it equal to each other, hoping the examiner will just think I'm a genius :D)

Tan(-2B) = Tan(-2B)

Sorry for starting a new question everyone...but was there not a mistake in (b) (iv) of the HL maths paper 2? :confused:

The angle A'OB' = 90 degrees (as it's 90 degrees, the transformed line formed a right-angle triangle with the x and y-axis), where A' and B' were where the line intersected the x and y-axis.

But AOB = 90 degrees too, for the same reason - the line formed a triangle with the x and y-axis and A and B was where it intersected the x and y axis. :confused:

Anyone have any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

∈of C....(complex)........................D
    . . .Anyone else get a decimal BD on 5 c ii , and 300root3 for 5c part 1?

I've got a decimal but I know that my calculator went crazy and it didn't give me a Surd form so there was a slight accuracy. However I've got 999.9999... so I just rounded if off to 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

< 0........(negative).......................C
    any one do the groups question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I think I just passed overall, and on Q6Ci-iv, I had it all right, then decided "You know what, It'd be much better if I f**k with it and make it all wrong!".

As long as you didn't scribble it out. If it's on the answer paper and not scribbled it's markable! :)

wat if you just cross it out with like 2-3 lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

jamesr1775 wrote: »
    any one do the groups question?

Me. Made a balls of that tetrahedron. Never studied it properly. Part a was clearly a joke of some kind... "What is the identity element?" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Easier but tricky circle Q's.

Scared I didn't pass.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

if it can be read, you'll be grand.

But the examiner isn't going to sit there and try really hard to decipher it.

i was sort of angry the way they didnt ask any proofs. I got up at 6 today to learn them. glad i didnt waste too much time on them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

jamesr1775 wrote: »
    wat if you just cross it out with like 2-3 lines?

I doubt they would mark it.

Did your teacher never tell you to NEVER cross out in maths.

If you attempt a question twice, for example, they will give you the marks on the better answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

If you attempt a question twice, for example, they will give you the marks on the better answer!

If they can see it, and it's right, they have to give you marks for it. If it's half rubbed out and faded then no they can't!

And obviously if you scribbled over it and it's indecipherable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Yeah, I'm the same. Paper one was always easier for me (until last friday), and today it didn't go really well for me too. I know I will be repeating next year at this stage... But what's done is done - now easier exams start :)

Hope i passed, ah well whats done is done now as you say.

They have to mark whatever you have on the page, even if it's crossed out, as long as it's legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

jumpguy wrote: »
    Friend of mine got that too...

I wonder how such a simple question is being so divisive. :P

Maybe it depended on the calculator used? I have a Casio fx83-ES

So do I :P Well that's my 'back-up'.. My calculator is from Aldi :o
    But I think I just used the Cos Rule or something, and it ended up in a perfect square because of the way I had it written in the first place! Sure it's over now :)

polka dot wrote: »
    Me. Made a balls of that tetrahedron. Never studied it properly. Part a was clearly a joke of some kind... "What is the identity element?" :rolleyes:
    lol yea part a was just stupid. Part b was a pain in the ass. very confusing.
    I kept going back to it after a while and then just decided to attempt it.
    Im interested in how it will be marked. It'd be sweet if part A was 20 marks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

Ya i agree. so much better than paper 1 ! but dunno if it was good enough to save my A2.

I've got two questions

1. since this paper wasnt too bad does that mean there wont be a nicer marking scheme for paper 1 like evryone was sayin?

2. for section B question 8 9 (c) (i) when you get the general term is it n or n+1 as a power for the -1. and if i got it wrong and used my answer in part (ii) can i still get full marks for part (ii)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Shayanzadeh

What's ridiculously annoying is, I got ALL the difficult part, but I mixed up 3a) with the external division...FML :( So typical :L

How many marks would I lose? It's silly that you work hard for 10 marks in a c) part i and throw it away on an a... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

danoboy254 wrote: »
    Ya i agree. so much better than paper 1 ! but dunno if it was good enough to save my A2.

I've got two questions

1. since this paper wasnt too bad does that mean there wont be a nicer marking scheme for paper 1 like evryone was sayin?

2. for section B question 8 9 (c) (i) when you get the general term is it n or n+1 as a power for the -1. and if i got it wrong and used my answer in part (ii) can i still get full marks for part (ii)

It'd be (-1)^n+1

The first term is positive, so subbing (1) in for n, would give a +1 (-1^2). It wouldn't if it was just (-1)^n

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shayanzadeh

I've got two questions

It's (-1)^n+1 or (-1)^n-1

What's ridiculously annoying is, I got ALL the difficult part, but I mixed up 3a) with the external division...FML :( So typical :L

How many marks would I lose? It's silly that you work hard for 10 marks in a c) part i and throw it away on an a... :D
    lol thts most annoying thing about maths exam. You can get part Cs out grand but just have a moment of insanity for the As . Made a few stupid mistakes like tht aswell. Its the most annoying thing to realise how easy some parts were

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

jumpguy wrote: »
    Sorry for starting a new question everyone...but was there not a mistake in (b) (iv) of the HL maths paper 2? :confused:

The angle A'OB' = 90 degrees (as it's 90 degrees, the transformed line formed a right-angle triangle with the x and y-axis), where A' and B' were where the line intersected the x and y-axis.

But AOB = 90 degrees too, for the same reason - the line formed a triangle with the x and y-axis and A and B was where it intersected the x and y axis. :confused:

Anyone have any ideas?

I dont have my paper here but was the idea not to go use the images points A' and B' to get the original points A and B and then find their equations with the origin and see what the angle between then was. (tanQ)=+/-.....
    I'm not saying i'm right but thats what i did and it turned out not equal.

hope for my sake i'm right :P
    hope for your sake that you are :pac:

ps. Q is theta

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

If you take u0 as first term, it -1^n
    If you take u1, then it -1^n+1

As far as I know yes, but it depends on the question. More likely, you'll get all the method marks, and they'll deduct 3 or 1 for the wrong answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Meeod

Nice Paper..
    Q1 c(ii) my lines didnt contain the centre :/
    Q2 c(ii) coudnt get them to equal :(
    Q3 b did it totally the wrong way.. thats 40 marks gone.. FML >:(
    Q4 c didnt even attempt it :/
    Q5 b(ii) didnt get it, anyone get AD=900/(sq.root)3 and BD=1010m (think i rounded to the nearest metre)
    Q8 was beautiful :D

Other than those many mistakes it was fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Ditto. :|
    Paper 1 was easier for me too until last friday and today, I messed it up all for myself. I made silly mistakes, didn't get some part (c)s and made a complete disaster of q2 (c) and especially q8. :(:'( I'm so depressed, I wanted to do well in maths, and now I know If I don't do exceptionally well in all my other subjects, I'll have to repeat. :(

One advice:- Get a good night's sleep before the exam or else, you'll end up like me. :(

Same, I did that too. They were such easy marks. :(
    I don't know what was I thinking or looking at? I'm an idiot!

overall, it was easier that paper 1 but I'm still not delighted, defo can't count maths as one of my best 6 now...so depressed now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I've got two questions

Please God, I hope the marking scheme will still be nicer for paper 1, please God please! :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Kedo93

I dont have my paper here but was the idea not to go use the images points A' and B' to get the original points A and B and then find their equations with the origin and see what the angle between then was. (tanQ)=+/-.....
    I'm not saying i'm right but thats what i did and it turned out not equal.

hope for my sake i'm right :P
    hope for your sake that you are :pac:

ps. Q is theta

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what you were supposed to do. As a matter of interest, does anybody remember what they got for |<AOB|? I recall getting 45* Might be wrong though :P

Advertisement