Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Higher level Maths = The Aftermath *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 arboroia

I got 45 degrees for AOB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

< 0........(negative).......................C
    Did no one else think that 8 (c) was really really long?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

hahaha reading some ppls comments on this i feel genuinely depressed im so **** at maths just hope i passed the bloody thing. Q3 was HORRIBLE altho the a part was fine, that b was disgusting bar b(i). And as far as trig goes i never want to see a triangle ever again.

Don't be worrying yourself. Ignore the people who say: "Yep, pretty confident I got an A!". That's just bravado with a lot of people and it's quite irritating when people brag like that. A class of mine were just like that last year .. anmd a lot of the braggers came out with Bs and Cs, while the less confident students got top marks! Chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Thought it was a good paper, not great. Q.2, 5 & 6 were gorgeous. Q.1 was good, Q.8 was ok, but Q.3 was bad. The worst thing was I decided to learn the general terms for cosx, sinx, e^x and log(1+x) instead of learning how to find them lastnight, so I was rightfully screwed and gutted when tan-1 x came up!

I counted up that I probably got 232/300 in that one, and 234/300 in paper one, so hopefully the Irish bonus will get me a B1. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

∈ of N...(positive).........................B
    teacher30 wrote: »
    Don't be worrying yourself. Ignore the people who say: "Yep, pretty confident I got an A!". That's just bravado with a lot of people and it's quite irritating when people brag like that. A class of mine were just like that last year .. anmd a lot of the braggers came out with Bs and Cs, while the less confident students got top marks! Chin up

There's nothing wrong with being confident in your ability!

Nobody would look twice of somebody said it was ok, think it got me my C. Why should those who say it was brilliant, I think I got my A be judged?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Did no one else think that 8 (c) was really really long?!
    Didn't think it was too bad meself. There were some ridiculously large numbers involved, but i got it out in about half a page and it gave an accurate enough value for pi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Valin

brian93 wrote: »

I counted up that I probably got 232/300 in that one, and 234/300 in paper one, so hopefully the Irish bonus will get me a B1. :)

I'm sorry, but is it actually possible to get the Irish bonus for maths? That sounds to me to be highly unfair considering the nature of the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Btw what did anyone get for those card selecting questions in Q6(c)? Not sure if i got them right, tried it two different ways and got different answers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    Didn't think it was too bad meself. There were some ridiculously large numbers involved, but i got it out in about half a page and it gave an accurate enough value for pi.
    I started to sub the fractions into the term, fraction by fraction. And then when I got to 1/239^7 over seven, I started getting mad answers.
    I just wrote down "The calculator doesn't like these numbers, let's try that again."
    Did it again as one big sum, and got like, 4.131 something.
    then wrote "There we go, that's a nicer number."

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

There's nothing wrong with being confident in your ability!

Nobody would look twice of somebody said it was ok, think it got me my C. Why should those who say it was brilliant, I think I got my A be judged?

Completely agree. Why should people who are confident in their ability and good judges of their own performance pretend they did worse to make other people feel better? That's just as dishonest as somebody pretending they did better than they really did.

Give your honest opinion. If somebody thinks that you're bragging then they need to get over their own inferiority complex.

For what it's worth, I think I got an A2 on this paper. I think that I got a high B2 on the first paper but I'm unsure about how it will be marked. Either way, I'm happy with how I answered everything. I probably made mistakes in places, that's inevitable, but I didn't forget to do 6 questions or mess up my time management.

Not going to look through this thread and compare answers, what's done is done at this stage. No amount of agonising over mistakes will help us now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

first one i got 13 choose 5 over 52 choose 5
    then corrected to decimal place

NSNO wrote: »
    Completely agree. Why should people who are confident in their ability and good judges of their own performance pretend they did worse to make other people feel better? That's just as dishonest as somebody pretending they did better than they really did.

Give your honest opinion. If somebody thinks that you're bragging then they need to get over their own inferiority complex.

For what it's worth, I think I got an A2 on this paper. I think that I got a high B2 on the first paper but I'm unsure about how it will be marked. Either way, I'm happy with how I answered everything. I probably made mistakes in places, that's inevitable, but I didn't forget to do 6 questions or mess up my time management.

I came out of Paper 1 quite happy, felt (almost certain) that I got a B2, marking scheme changes could out that up to a B1 (it could put it down but that's unlikely due to the questions I got fully out etc.) yet in school I had to say it was ok because I didn't want to seem cocky when everyone was upset.

Again today, sure I got a A1. Lots of people in my school weren't overly happy so that had to be described as 'good'.

I couldn't sing from the rooftops about my performance but those who did bad could talk about it till the cows come home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 zuluin

for question 8, i got general term to be (-1)^n+1 (x)^2n-1 all over 2n-1 and then got Un+1 to be (-1)^2n+1 (x)^2n+1 all over 2n+1 . when i divided Un+1 by Un i got x^2 instead of x. deducted the two powers of x. i dont know what i did wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dongl

Anyone know how far we were meant to go with Q7 part C?

I got the mean of (a^2+b^2+c^2)^1/2 but looking back it says to find and justify it. Were we supposed to have some manner of epiphany and get actual numbers? :>

zuluin wrote: »
    for question 8, i got general term to be (-1)^n+1 (x)^2n-1 all over 2n-1 and then got Un+1 to be (-1)^2n+1 (x)^2n+1 all over 2n+1 . when i divided Un+1 by Un i got x^2 instead of x. deducted the two powers of x. i dont know what i did wrong

For converging it would be
    -1<X^2<1

Square root it all.
    Square root of -1 is impossible so disregard.

You then have

X< + and - 1

X < -1
    X > 1

I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Anybody else here about a conference for teachers on tonight about paper. My teacher is going?! Just wondering really......

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    Btw what did anyone get for those card selecting questions in Q6(c)? Not sure if i got them right, tried it two different ways and got different answers...

All my answers were 0.00
    Which sounds so wrong..

ChloeElla wrote: »
    All my answers were 0.00
    Which sounds so wrong..

That would mean it's impossible!

All my answers were 0.00
    Which sounds so wrong..

Ya I got those type of answers a's well except I went to 0.000021 or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

∉ of Q....(craaaaazy)....................Fail
    All my answers were 0.00
    Which sounds so wrong..
    As in 0.00xxxxxxx or so?

That's what I got, but I stupidly put a line through them. I think that is the correct answer.

Paul (Maybe Memories) said he'd have the solutions up at half 8:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dongl

All my answers were 0.00
    Which sounds so wrong..

All the answers were tiny. I mean look at what they were asking you to calculate.

Thats why the Q says until two significant figures (ie non-zero)

mtb_kng wrote: »

Haha..! Give him a break..! It's only been 15 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

∉ of Q....(craaaaazy)....................Fail
    Haha..! Give him a break..! It's only been 15 minutes!
    16 minutes actually by the time you posted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Dongl wrote: »
    All the answers were tiny. I mean look at what they were asking you to calculate.

Thats why the Q says until two significant figures (ie non-zero)

Well I just went to two decimal places, like I got 0.0000000005389 or whatever. Does that mean I was supposed to write down 0.00000000054? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Just wondering, for 4 C (i). Was the answer like 12X^2?

As in 0.00xxxxxxx or so?

That's what I got, but I stupidly put a line through them. I think that is the correct answer.

In the marking of maths (usually) if you wrote something out and crossed it out it will be corrected. And if you wrote more after crossing it out, which ever is write will be given the marked. However if you write down two methods and don't cross one of them out you get marks for neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

∈of C....(complex)........................D

The whole higher-level maths population is watching and waiting on this thread. haha. I cant study Irish p2 until i sort this out!

16 minutes actually by the time you posted ;)

I was going by when you posted..! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

danoboy254 wrote: »
    The whole higher-level maths population is watching and waiting on this thread. haha. I cant study Irish p2 until i sort this out!
    lmao screw irish paper 2. only worth 18% i think and the poetry is printed on it wich is 9% or somthing like tht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

I only took the approximation of pi for the first two terms instead of three

and ended up with 3.09, will i lose much marks for that ?

Advertisement