Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Counselling

Options
  • 13-06-2011 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

can anyone recommend any child counselling services for children (age 7) in the dublin area

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Depends on what the issues are, The rainbows program is good for kids who have lost a family member, but different issues need a different type of counselling. I suggest you try your family dr for a referral even if it's to the local child and family clinic who can then make a better referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yup...different therapists for different types of issues.

A good GP should be able to refer you, but if you want feedback/suggestions of 'who the best is' from this forum, then you'd have to provide more info. That may/may not be a good idea depending on the reason for needing the therapist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

my son seems to be very withdrawn and over-sensitive - he gets very stressed out over the smallest things and breaks down in tears very easily. He also has problems at school concentrating. His mother and myself have seperated last year......the marriage was dead for a long time. I had/have alcohol and addiction problems (which I am receiving counselling, etc for myself) and several times a year disappeared for days on end. There was a lot of screaming and shouting in the early years of our marriage and this only stopped when i realised i didn't love his mother anymore and couldn't be arsed argueing. His mother has broken english and doesn't really communicate with him properly. She lets him run loose in the house and doesn't really have any fixed routine with him, doesn't discipline him, doesn't do anything really with him except drag him around etc. I don't believe she puts enough into his upbringing. I'd try and do a lot myself (football, sports, etc - I supposed thinking i can sort him out myself) and 80% of the time put the effort in, but with my own issues wasn't consistent enough.
    So to sum up
    Seperated parents
    Father with alcohol and substance abuse issues
    (In my opinion) neglectful mother

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd start with a GP appointment if I were you and ask for a referral. It can be easy to assume that the feelings he is having are one thing or another, but sounds like he may need an assesment to figure out what exactly he needs a bit of help with.

Kids are deep, and this This little lad sounds like he is having trouble having his voice heard. Children who cannot control or manage what is going on around them over become tearful and sensitive. He has seen and heard a lot and I sense he would do very well for himself by seeing someone independent.

Rather than going to an organisation, I would go to the GP as the issues seem much more holistic and broader than separated parents

Also; you'll help him by keeping any future conflict away from him and be careful not to involve him in any discussions you and his Mum may have about each other

Advertisement