Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News story from this weekend

Options
  • 13-06-2011 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

There was a story in this weekend's Sunday Times regarding our favourite incident of 2010.

The story itself is behind a paywall but courtesy of this story on TJMcintyre.com I can share some of it:
    Gardai from the force's computer crimes unit quickly traced the hacker to Latvia but it is only in recent weeks that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has ordered the suspect to be extradited. The DPP has directed that there is enough evidence to secure a conviction...

Legal sources said it may be possible for the boards.ie suspect to be charged with theft or fraud: some of the passwords obtained in the hack appear to have been used to steal money from people's Paypal accounts... The hacker is suspected of downloading a number of databases to order.

Please note, this is to do with last year's events (January 21, 2010) - for context, please see this Feedback thread or news article.

Because this is an active court case we wont be commenting on anything beyond what's reported already but just thought you should know that it is something we pursued - the data/personal information of our members is *very* important to us - and if there's any questions you have that we can actually answer, please stick them below.

Cheers

Darragh
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

some of the passwords obtained in the hack appear to have been used to steal money from people's Paypal accounts

:eek:

I didn't know that.

Kudos to all involved for getting this as far as it seems to have come.

I wonder will Latvia extradite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Des wrote: »
    +1000

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

That's encouraging news. Well done to all involved (excluding the hacker, of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I didn't know that.

I didn't either, was this ever communicated to users?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Tallon wrote: »
    I didn't either, was this ever communicated to users?

The article may or may not be 100% accurate. Paper doesn't refuse ink and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

RT66 wrote: »
    The article may or may not be 100% accurate. Paper doesn't refuse ink and all that...
    Darragh wrote:
    and if there's any questions you have that we can actually answer, please stick them below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

*sigh* Tallon, *sigh*

I can't comment on it, except to say that what's above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Darragh wrote: »
    *sigh* Tallon, *sigh*

I can't comment on it, except to say that what's above.

You should buy his jacket and burn it. It'll make you feel better :)

http://www.adverts.ie/coats-jackets/tallon-s-jacket/626170

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Onkle wrote: »
    You should buy his jacket and burn it. It'll make you feel better :)

http://www.adverts.ie/coats-jackets/tallon-s-jacket/626170

Offer a euro. Will you throw in the matches or do I buy my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Silverfish wrote: »
    Offer a euro. Will you throw in the matches or do I buy my own.

You could always ask the user who bought Bubbles' CD Burner if they could borrow the lighter for a while. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I didn't know that.

I wonder will Latvia extradite.

Every member was sent a PM iirc to change their paypal passwords and their Boards.ie passwords at the time.

Well done to all involved in catching him and thanks to Darragh for letting us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Feedback Thread.

Two links to TJMcintyre.com in OPs post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Was the hole ever discovered that caused the breech?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Dymo wrote: »
    Was the hole ever discovered that caused the breech?.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Did you seal it with a non-shrink joint compound? I find Pollyfilla to be the most reliable out there.

Advertisement