Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom connection

Options
  • 13-06-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,

I use my eircom connection for xbox live. It has been particularly bad quality lately.
    I have noticed my download speed seems to have increased. Even though my max set on router is 4.5 mb, I get more than this.

Download speeds are not really an issue for me. Someone has told me that Eircom can set my interleaving to low and this helps a lot.
    Can you do this for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

blehhhh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I use my eircom connection for xbox live. It has been particularly bad quality lately.
    I have noticed my download speed seems to have increased. Even though my max set on router is 4.5 mb, I get more than this.

Download speeds are not really an issue for me. Someone has told me that Eircom can set my interleaving to low and this helps a lot.
    Can you do this for me?

Thanks.
    Hi blehhh
    yes we can arrange this, can you PM me your tel no and account no and will look into it for you.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 blehhhh

Thanks,

Pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Hi all,

Can you do this for me?

Thanks.

My friend has this changed and his ping went from 80 to like 32. Way better for gaming. Also I know it sounds trivial , but turning off your router for 2 mins and then on again can solve a lot of problems. And try to be hard wired rather than wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 martinbrendan@e

Hi,

I have NGB 8mb uncongested broadband and the downlaod speed has dropped alarmingly over the last week, I got Sky put in with two phone line connections, can this have anything to do with the drop in speed ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi,

I have NGB 8mb uncongested broadband and the downlaod speed has dropped alarmingly over the last week, I got Sky put in with two phone line connections, can this have anything to do with the drop in speed ?

Thanks

Hi martinbrendan@e

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.

To answer your query, yes third party equipment like Sky box(s) can interfere with your broadband conection.

To test if this is the case, temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test your connection again.

If this resolves the issue, then this will help you define where the interference and connection problem lies.

You are then within your rights to insist that the third party equipment (e.g: Sky box(s) are correctly insullated /installed on eircom's phoneline system).

The following Support website on the eircom Forum may be helpful -

Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/cTw6pU

If you are still experiencing intermittent connections after this, then you will need to call into Broadband Support -

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, in case you need to follow up on this. Alternatively, let us know and we can chase this as well.

Kind regards,

Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 martinbrendan@e

Hi Ant,

The sky boxes were the problem, I was advised to put a filter on the line into each box and it solved the problem.

Thanks for your advice

Regards

Brendan Martin

Hi Tony,

I spoke to someone yesterday and they did something to my router. Connection now seems worse on xbox. If I do a test on pingtest.net, both pings and jitter have increased.

I notice max speed on router is increased to Speed 5728/512 (kbps). Is it possible for you to decrease this, this caused problems in the past and lowering speed to around 4000 fixed. Also is it possible for you to set interleaving to low. Asked the guy yesterday but he couldnt.

Hi Ant,

The sky boxes were the problem, I was advised to put a filter on the line into each box and it solved the problem.

Thanks for your advice

Regards

Brendan Martin

Great to hear you've resolved the problem.

Handy to know that this works - for other posters here too.

Kind regards
    Ant

Hi Tony,

I spoke to someone yesterday and they did something to my router. Connection now seems worse on xbox. If I do a test on pingtest.net, both pings and jitter have increased.

I notice max speed on router is increased to Speed 5728/512 (kbps). Is it possible for you to decrease this, this caused problems in the past and lowering speed to around 4000 fixed. Also is it possible for you to set interleaving to low. Asked the guy yesterday but he couldnt.

Can someone please fix this?

Its now even much worse then before. Could someone at least put back to the way it was?????

Can someone please fix this?

Its now even much worse then before. Could someone at least put back to the way it was?????

Hi blehhh
    this was changed on your own request, we were unable to change from here so I pre-sume you asked broadband tech support ( 1890260260) to do this for you.
    I can see that the change requested may cause drops in connection and would advise you give them a call and let them know you are having this problem. They will be happy to re-set for you.
    Let me know if any problem with this, if you were provided a case ref. number PM this to me and can chase for you.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi blehhh
    this was changed on your own request, we were unable to change from here so I pre-sume you asked broadband tech support ( 1890260260) to do this for you.
    I can see that the change requested may cause drops in connection and would advise you give them a call and let them know you are having this problem. They will be happy to re-set for you.
    Let me know if any problem with this, if you were provided a case ref. number PM this to me and can chase for you.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

What was changed on my request?. I created this thread requesting to have interleaving set to low to improve online gaming performance.
    You asked me to call eircom support, I did and I got some guy trying to get rid of me as quickly as possible. I asked him to turn off interleaving and he just kept ignoring me. I never asked him to increase my dl/ul limit. I even told him that my line gave problems in the past when speed was increased and he ignored me.

Hi Tony,

What was changed on my request?. I created this thread requesting to have interleaving set to low to improve online gaming performance.
    You asked me to call eircom support, I did and I got some guy trying to get rid of me as quickly as possible. I asked him to turn off interleaving and he just kept ignoring me. I never asked him to increase my dl/ul limit. I even told him that my line gave problems in the past when speed was increased and he ignored me.

Hi blehhh
    I weas referring to your request to us to have interleaving set to low and your own post 'Could someone at least put back to the way it was????'
    which inferred that you have had changes made.
    I will chase this with broadband support to see what they have done here.
    Tony

Hi blehhh
    I weas referring to your request to us to have interleaving set to low and your own post 'Could someone at least put back to the way it was????'
    which inferred that you have had changes made.
    I will chase this with broadband support to see what they have done here.
    Tony

Oh sorry.

No, I tried to call and get interleaving put to low. But the guy didnt seem to want to listen.
    He said issues were due to firewall settings, and I gave up.

I told him I had issues when my line speed was increased.....and for some reason hes gone and increased my speed??, performance is worse now then before.

Oh sorry.

No, I tried to call and get interleaving put to low. But the guy didnt seem to want to listen.
    He said issues were due to firewall settings, and I gave up.

I told him I had issues when my line speed was increased.....and for some reason hes gone and increased my speed??, performance is worse now then before.

Well I will chase with them and clarify situation. It is possible firewall affecting this, will let you know what I find.
    Tony

Well I will chase with them and clarify situation. It is possible firewall affecting this, will let you know what I find.
    Tony

Would appreciate it if you got them to just put the dl/ul speed back to what it was and asked them to set interleaving to low.

Would appreciate it if you got them to just put the dl/ul speed back to what it was and asked them to set interleaving to low.

Hi blehhhh,

Thanks again for post.

I will contact eircom Technical Support and advise them as requested above.

If you wish to call Broadband Support directly please call them on :

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) ; hrs - 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun)

Kind regards

Ant

Hi blehhhh,

Thanks again for post.

I will contact eircom Technical Support and advise them as requested above.

If you wish to call Broadband Support directly please call them on :

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) ; hrs - 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun)

Kind regards

Ant

A technician came out unannounced and changed something. Ill test it out.

Line speeds seem to have increased.........at least thats what it says on my modem settings. Now at 6144/512 (kbps).

Im still getting inconsistent ping speeds and jitter.

Line speeds seem to have increased.........at least thats what it says on my modem settings. Now at 6144/512 (kbps).

Im still getting inconsistent ping speeds and jitter.

Hi blehhhh,

Thanks again. I have contacted Technical Support and they have advised that they have a case currently logged and open on your broadband fault.

If you PM me I will furnish you with this case reference.

Alternatively, please call into Broadband Support directly :

eircom Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00) Mon - Sun.

Regards,
    Ant

Advertisement