Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some test shots with the fuji x100

• 13-06-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I was lucky enough to pick up a fuji x100 last week. Lovely old style look with a fixed 23mm (35 mm equivalent) f2 lens. I am a nikon dslr user normally but have been on the look out for a go anywhere compact camera and since I first read about this camera i have been lusting after it:)

Anyhow here a a couple of test shots from last thursday and Friday - hope you like them!

5818635153_31a96b3a01_b.jpg
    x100 street test by ugog, on Flickr

5818629923_975aec3016_b.jpg
    x100 test colour by ugog, on Flickr

5818631665_ee424c69a2_b.jpg
    x 100 test b&w by ugog, on Flickr

and a macro/bokeh test
    5821022894_cc3c0654e9_b.jpg
    DSCF0271 by ugog, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Nice shots. I've been reading a lot of good things about this camera recently. There has been one sitting in my local camera shop window now for the past couple of weeks and every time I walk by i am tempted. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Seriously jealous of your lovely camera. I would love to get my hands on one of these

Thanks for sharing your photos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

oo lucky you, i like the clouds in the b+w, really nice,, if i had someone elses bank account id snap one up just for its good looks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

i am really liking this camera - Street shots is one of my main reasons for getting this camera - I have never felt comfortable taking street shots with a a big dslr and lens with the fuji it just feels natural!

here is one from today (i'm in the middle ;p)
    5833879871_f1c6671b46_b.jpg
    DSCF0362-Edit-2 - Copy by ugog, on Flickr

5834433124_58806f0484_b.jpg
    DSCF0363-Edit - Copy by ugog, on Flickr

It is also pretty good at high iso's -

St. Annes Church on Dawson street - f2 iso 3200 (no flash) OOC jpeg

5834431618_527ea09dd4_b.jpg
    DSCF0365 by ugog, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I'm so jealous, would love one of these. Lovely clear and crisp shots. Were the black & whites taken like this or were the converted in Photoshop. The clouds have come up very strong and I was wondering does the camera have different B&W options such as in the Nikon D300 which allows you change preferences for colour filter effects. Looks great, I hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

without knowing much about the performance of the camera, it's classic look makes me want one straight away...until I saw the price tag:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I've been so impressed with mine these last few weeks that my 5D and assortment of lenses has been left unused in its bag. I'm now wondering if I would be happy to give up the flexibility of the SLR and settle on something simple like the X100? Image quality has not left me wanting.

Here's a couple from last week on the South Bull Wall.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people, please stop posting photos to this thread.

the last thing i need is to want another camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

You know you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

You know you want it.

Unfortunately, and too often, 'Want' and 'Afford' are two vastly different things.

It really is a fun camera - since i have bought it the x100 has barely left my sight - I bring it everywhere!!

Obviously a fixed lens camera has its limitations - not much good for shooting portraits, active kids or sports but what it does do it does REALLY well.

My nikon d700 hasn't come out of the bag since i got the fuji. Ill be at the world street performance thing tomorrow so ill obviously have the d700 and zoom with me but the x100 will be around my neck too!

@thedarkroom - the x100 has about half dozen B&W settings. The B&W shots I have taken so far were processed in silver efex pro (15 day demo trial I downloaded at weekend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

here is one from yesterday -

5843317459_4839b14c39_b.jpg
    DSCF0457-Edit by ugog, on Flickr

5844571055_590774457d_b.jpg
    DSCF0453-Edit by ugog, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

O.k were do you suggest i go to buy this? I'm buying it for my girlfriend and i do not know a whole pile about cameras. Thanks

Just saw price tag! ahhh! O.k so i'm buying half of it for her. Advice needed, she wants a good camera for her birthday, had a decent (well it was in it's day) digital camera for 4 years now and it died recently. This camera takes lovely photos and will do us a long time, it will be 'point and shoot' all the time, should I spend this much or would something cheaper do, it's about the photographer not the camera that takes the good pics? I was initially capping spending at 500 but the quality of them photos is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

daithi09 wrote: »
    O.k were do you suggest i go to buy this? I'm buying it for my girlfriend and i do not know a whole pile about cameras. Thanks

Just saw price tag! ahhh! O.k so i'm buying half of it for her. Advice needed, she wants a good camera for her birthday, had a decent (well it was in it's day) digital camera for 4 years now and it died recently. This camera takes lovely photos and will do us a long time, it will be 'point and shoot' all the time, should I spend this much or would something cheaper do, it's about the photographer not the camera that takes the good pics? I was initially capping spending at 500 but the quality of them photos is amazing!

This is an amazing camera and on my wish list for sure (as well as many other wish lists on here). Great for low light and street photography. But it does have it's limitations as it's a fixed lens camera so there is no zooming in and there is no getting wide angle shots. So you need to know if this is something your girlfriend would be happy with. Also you say a point and shoot in your post, if your looking for something to leave on auto all the time this may not be your best bet as it's so much more capable (although i'm sure the auto will still give you great shots). If your girlfriend has an interest in photography and willing to read the manual she won't be disappointed. If she'd like a zoom then maybe the Lumix LX5 might be an option although it's not near as stunning looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Thanks alfalad! She is not really into photography yet but her job is about to become way less hectic and I think it's something she might get into (or me)! I was looking at this camera http://www.currys.ie/Product/CANON-PowerShot-SX230-HS-Compact-Digital-Camera-Black/305517/174 or maybe something similar without the GPS as I will not be needing that.
    I'm sorry for all the noob questions, there are just so many cameras out there and so many different reviews. She likes canon tho so i might stick with that make at least. If i'm being completely stupid let me know!
    Sorry I'm sort of wrecking this thread, I won't post here again. thanks.

So either the link above or this, I'l be buying today or tomorrow? http://www.currys.ie/Product/FUJIFILM-FinePix-S3400-Digital-Camera-Black/305798/174#product-information

Advertisement