Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I justified in leaving and not working a notice?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ive been working for a supermarket for a year now. And have only ever been given one regular shift, that is 4 hours. Id get called in for extra if I was lucky.

I am, frankly, sick of this treatment as I worked previously in another supermarket when I was 17, have experience and got paid about 130-150euro a week.
    I only get paid 40.00. And I'm 20.

At the time I was hiered, 2 other new members were taken on in the same position, first job for one of them and they both get 2-3 shifts regularly every week.

To add insult to injury, they've taken on 4 new people recently and yet, can only give me one shift, and I am there a year?!

I do my job well. Yes, I have made a few rookie mistakes, like fellow members of staff, at the start but that was a few months ago.

The supervisor who allocates hours is unprofessional, for example, embarsses me when I ask a reasonable question, e.g, about hours. I feel she has her favourites.

I have done her favours by covering shifts last minute, dropping everything. But yet, still cannot get recognition. I approached her in early april about summer hours and getting more ( the one shift did suit with exams but I need to work for college this summer) but she said Id have only one regular shift like "everyone else" unless they call me in for someone who is sick. I stressed I have college fees to be saving for, yet, she repeated the same thing.
    She basically insulted me to my face telling me I have one shift like everyone else. I have been watching the rota for the last year since Ive started and I am the only one with one shift, bar the last two months where the newbies have one shift.

I am completely insulted. And, I never hear any positive feedback about my work. Yet, anything slightly wrong is always picked up on. I'm fed up. I was also once given the wrong times and dates to a meeting before by a supervisor.

I want to leave with my diggnity as I am clearly been made a fool of. Other staff are noticing too which makes it more embarssing. And it doesnt help one collegue who I started with, slags me.

I also was never given a contract, which makes no sense cause I have been there a year and I do not want to work a notice for only working one crumby shift a week for a year. I just want to leave.

Anyone have an opinion on what to do with this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Please, anyone have a take on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Unless you've signed up to a longer notice period, and it sounds like you haven't, then you only need to give one week's notice by law.

If you're dead set on leaving, and you won't actually have to work too many hours there until you leave, then personally I'd just go by the book and give the week's notice and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Agree there with Eoin, sounds like an unprofessional supervisor but don't burn bridges where they don't have to be burned. Your next job will obviously be looking to enquire what you have been doing for the last year and may contact you employer. You'd just be giving them ammo to say "He walked out" making you look unprofessional, not them.

Stick it out for that extra week if you're leaving. Don't suppose the place is big enough to transfer to another area under a different supervisor or a HR/Personnel Section you could check with for extra shifts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MercuryLake

Well, were you hired to be full time or part time? If you were hired as full time, I'm not positive but I think you're entitled to 8 hours per week minimum.

Because you don't have a contract stating exact hours, and you've only ever gotten one 4 hour shift guaranteed, there's honestly nothing you can do. I'd do the notice period though, because if you want a reference you should really give the standard notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Don't burn your bridges,even if they are being pricks.Serve out the notice and move on.Do it by the book and don't give her the satisfaction by storming out.

• Advertisement

But I was not given a contract?:confused: So, by law, how do I have to ?

Burn bridges...Eh....with the crap Ive put up with? And, Im not going to start, throwing a tantrum or something haha I just dont want to go back.

But I was not given a contract? So, by law, how do I have to ?

Yes, there's assumed to be a contract even if there isn't one in writing.

Resign now, and see if they're bothered about you working out your notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TinyT

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Burn bridges...Eh....with the crap Ive put up with? And, Im not going to start, throwing a tantrum or something haha I just dont want to go back.

It's not about whether you want to go back to this place (which, clearly you don't!), but as another poster has mentioned, it's about your next employer checking out your references. You don't want to give your current employer any ammunition they could use against you when they are giving a reference to you next employer.

Remember that notice periods can be waived if both parties both agree to it.

As I said, resign immediately and ask them if you are required to do any more shifts. They might well just agree to call it a day then and there.

Contrary to popular belief, you can be given a bad reference by an ex-employer. They just have to be able to back it up if required - and it would be factual for them to say that you just walked out on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭titanium feather

Why not just nicely tell them that you're leaving, and ask if they want you to work the following week's shift or not. It's only four hours of your life - surely it's worth that, rather than throwing away the possibility of getting a decent reference for your next job? :confused: It's a big gap on your CV if you leave out the year's work (and it'll look worse if you leave it on your CV but are unable to provide a reference if asked for one.)

Have you another job lined up? If not, surely four hours a week is better than zero hours a week (and, by the way, €40 for four hours is actually above the going rate for supermarket work, so I wouldn't be complaining about that if I were you!) Besides which, you'll find it very tough to find a new job for the next couple of months if they know you're starting college in September - at least, with this job, if you keep working the four hours it'll hopefully still suit you when you go to college.

So, yeah, no one's going to make you give your employer any notice. But you're not screwing them over by not giving the notice - by the sounds of it, they have plenty of others who would be willing to work your shift. The only person you would be screwing over here is yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭beachhead

Sounds like you are very unhappy there.Your supervisor could have something up her nose about your future college qualifications.Can you figure out anything definite for her attitude?You should have received a written contract within a month of starting.Regardless you should give written notice-reasons not necessary to include.Try to line up another job first.Tell new employer why you're going-need extra money for college.Money is good alright-pity it hasnt worked out.

beachhead wrote: »
    Sounds like you are very unhappy there.Your supervisor could have something up her nose about your future college qualifications.Can you figure out anything definite for her attitude?You should have received a written contract within a month of starting.Regardless you should give written notice-reasons not necessary to include.Try to line up another job first.Tell new employer why you're going-need extra money for college.Money is good alright-pity it hasnt worked out.

Hey
    Recently, one of my parents has gotten a full time job so now I will not be able to work, as I have younger siblings to mind for her now...so... and shes paying me a bitta dosh.

The money is awful no offence :P but thats IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Older bosses with poor quals can be jealous of younger employees working to get higher quals than they will ever see. Keep unnecessary life details to yourself in future jobs to avoid jealous boss-types screwing up your life.

Done and dusted.

I handed in my notice. I was given a rehearsed speech of how everyone is the same. Theyre not.

Anyway, everytime I brought up reasons and the treatment I recieved etc the HR kept repeating a general rehearsed answer. Like a bouncer..

Some joke of a shop.

Big relief, might be unemployed but at least I wont be treated like a fool:)

Advertisement