Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gilera DNA 180 electical problem

• 13-06-2011 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

helo there, i have a problem with my gilera dna 180cc 2002 model. The bike starts fine but after a while it shuts off by its self and wont start again for a period of time. i have changed the coil but this doesnt seem to solve the problem. When its shuts off spark isn receiving electricity. i was suspecting either regulator/rectifier or the CDI. these are expencive to replace so i would be very apriciete if someone have expirience or knowlage to share with me.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

gildna wrote: »
    helo there, i have a problem with my gilera dna 180cc 2002 model. The bike starts fine but after a while it shuts off by its self and wont start again for a period of time. i have changed the coil but this doesnt seem to solve the problem. When its shuts off spark isn receiving electricity. i was suspecting either regulator/rectifier or the CDI. these are expencive to replace so i would be very apriciete if someone have expirience or knowlage to share with me.
    Thank you

By "spark not receiving electricity" I take it you mean that your not getting a spark when it shuts off? That at least points to the ignition system

The regulator/rectifier shouldn't be an issue - the CDI would run without battery/reg/rectifier. In my experience, CDI's tend to go completely rather than dropping out in the fashion you're experiencing.

Have you tried changing the spark plug (which is certainly subject to failure on heating up). And changing/running without.. the HT cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

By "spark not receiving electricity" I take it you mean that your not getting a spark when it shuts off? That at least points to the ignition system

The regulator/rectifier shouldn't be an issue - the CDI would run without battery/reg/rectifier. In my experience, CDI's tend to go completely rather than dropping out in the fashion you're experiencing.

Have you tried changing the spark plug (which is certainly subject to failure on heating up). And changing/running without.. the HT cap?
    I don't know about Gileras specifically but I recently replaced a CDI which made the bike run intermittently. It wasn't a case of just stopping but running badly/hard starting then not being able to restart.
    Replaced the CDI and the bike has been perfect since, starts very easily.
    OP you chould be able to get a workshop manual for your bike that will list the things you shoud check.
    It will have resistance figures for the coil, etc that you can check and work the problem out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gildna

Thank you for informations. Yes i have removed coil cover and does not produce pulse after shuting off. I dont think spark matters because coil isnt sparkling anw. Does the hanyes manual provide that kind of techincal support ? The bike works fine until a few minutes it shuts off and unable to start for about 20 minutes.

I apriciate you help and time !

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

dont know much about the bike but is it overheating? is there a temp guage? is there a radiator fan thats not kicking in?

Yes it has a radiator fan and it used to work but latetly i havent seen it working. Water temperature in gauge seams ok bike isnt overheating. In case it overheats is there a safety parameter that shuts off the bike ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

my cbr600f has a fault that makes the temp needle go into the red

if i turn on anything elecrtical lights, indo's, radiator fan the needle spikes up as you can imagine it's annoying when stuck going through town in start stop traffic bikes heating up to 100 the fan kicks in and the needle jumps to 115 then you turn on your indicator and BAM it cuts out,
    everytime the needle hits the red the bike does cut out and is very sugglish to start so if the bike was over heating i assume if it's actually over heating it's possible for it to delay starting until cooled enough to manage.

Does the needle raise at all on your bike after a few minutes? if you start you bike were it cant get any wind on the radiator it should Warm up in a few minutes and the needle should raise the fan should kick in at about 100. if the needle isn't raising at all then i could be over heating, it's still a long shot though.

well it does heat up a little bit but not over heat. lets say gilera has 10 bars of temperature indicate and normal is at 5 bars, it could go 6 bars and very rarely 7 bars. Fan isnt working now i guess but it used to cut power also @ 100km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I googled a place that sells e-manuals for the Gilera DNA,
    No idea what the manual contains but there should be values for all the electrics on board.
    Edit: they have very bad reviews so I am removing the link.
    Look for a haynes manual that should have everything you need.

After all was the wiring of the alternator, i took the part and made the wiring again and now the problem is fixed. This hapents usually when conecting car batery to motorcycle battery to start it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dna180

gildna wrote: »
    After all was the wiring of the alternator, i took the part and made the wiring again and now the problem is fixed. This hapents usually when conecting car batery to motorcycle battery to start it.
    I think I have the same problem. So do you change the wire or just wiring it all over again? Thanks

Prob: I have this feeling that I'm not having a full power from the bike. It kept declining...1st the light goes off...n then the horn. Now the heat display is getting an error reading (ups n down). Overall performance: Slow responds, I barely made it to 100 km/hour.
    Help?

• Advertisement

am not sure these arent the same sumtoms as mine, my gilera dna also has a top speed of 110 kmh but i believe it the rear spring inside the clutch fault, it a white spring malossi. is your bike maintened regulary and is in good condition ? These sumptomes can be caused by many mechanical reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dna180

yes it well maintain by professional help, but I still don't have the time to make it to the mechanic stop. I always have this burning smell while riding. So thats the start to all of this. 1st I thought it was the relay or some fuse. But every thing seems to be okey. So I move to suspecting the alternator? When this 1st started, I used an xcs stabilizer, result: the light comes back on and the horn sound like it used to. But it didn't last long. Fiuh....

Advertisement