Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Modem why do Eircom use such a bad piece of Kit?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just a question...

Had my line upgraded to the so call 24mb NGB (so called because its a speed of "up to" 24mb) in real life scenarios never achievable by Eircom

but.... I got a new Zyxel modem, what a disaster, myself and meny other Eircom subscribers ( I am sure Eircom have lost many subscribers to UPC due to Zyxel's) kept dropping broadband connections on a random basis. there are many threads, internet posts and word of mouth about how bad the Zyxels have been for unstable broadband connections with intermittant droppages.

The original Netopia modem was fine....The Zxyel for 24mb I originally receivied was replaced after numerous support calls with a.... Zyxel, every bit as bad, the same issues of dropped intermittant connections...

I borrowed my friends Netgear DG220 and it worked fine for both wired and wi/fi

I ended up buying a Ntegear DG220 and I have had zero dropped conections and the wi-fi also works fine.

A simple question why do Eircom want to wste time, lose customers, incur costs by using Zyxel's? They only get them to work by lowering the subscribers conection speeds.

Anyone like to answer the question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

neutron wrote: »
    Just a question...

Had my line upgraded to the so call 24mb NGB (so called because its a speed of "up to" 24mb) in real life scenarios never achievable by Eircom

but.... I got a new Zyxel modem, what a disaster, myself and meny other Eircom subscribers ( I am sure Eircom have lost many subscribers to UPC due to Zyxel's) kept dropping broadband connections on a random basis. there are many threads, internet posts and word of mouth about how bad the Zyxels have been for unstable broadband connections with intermittant droppages.

The original Netopia modem was fine....The Zxyel for 24mb I originally receivied was replaced after numerous support calls with a.... Zyxel, every bit as bad, the same issues of dropped intermittant connections...

I borrowed my friends Netgear DG220 and it worked fine for both wired and wi/fi

I ended up buying a Ntegear DG220 and I have had zero dropped conections and the wi-fi also works fine.

A simple question why do Eircom want to wste time, lose customers, incur costs by using Zyxel's? They only get them to work by lowering the subscribers conection speeds.

Anyone like to answer the question?

Hi neutron,

Thanks for your query.

Can I first agree with alot of what you say regarding routers, and you're welcome to use your own broadband router.

Routers are often problematic, with complicated firewalls, port forwarding, interfaces, etc. In fact the more complicated the more expensive. A cheap router is often better over wireless, while a more expensive router tends to do gaming better.

I've heard good and bad reports about every router.

In fact, I was using my friend's fast broadband (3Mb) in residential Amsterdam recently. Yes, I said 3Mb and phoneline connection. They happened to be using the same Zyxel router and it was setup on an ethernet connection in a studio appartment. They were were getting 2Mb download speed - (with a lot of spyware thrown in). Like yourself they provided their own router, as their ISP didn't supply one. After checking the connection, I assured them it wasn't the modem, but their computer. It took 10 mins to open their browser!!

This is why it suits some people to use their own modems or even customise them with wifi extenders (pringle packets) to improve internal wireless, etc. If your new modem is working well for you then I would advise continue to use this.

eircom Technical Support will replace your current Zyxel router if this is found to be causing your connection problem. Try to test the modem directly on the master phone socket (mdp) first so that the techs can see where the fault is. If they discover it's the modem, they will replace this for you.

Broadband Checklist : http://bit.ly/cTw6pU
    (If you have any problem opening the above website, please copy & paste the URL into your Internet browser address bar.)

If you need further assistance on this or any other technical matter, please call into Technical Support (below):

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭neutron

Hi Ant,

Pardon my wry smile at the same suggestions I already tried with Eircom tech support! I posted here out of sheer frustration.

Thanks for the considered reply, I spent far too much of my valuable time to waste any more time with Eircom tech support failing to resolve the issues I had with the Zyxel router.

At the suggestions of Eircom tech support I (we) did everything you mention...... master sockets etc etc

I am not knocking the support guys in any way and they did replace the rubbish Zyxel with another rubbish Zyxel. I feel sorry for them having to support... not fit for its purpose equipment

The result with the "new" Zyxel was intermittant frequent drops in the connection, running on reduced speeds

Changed the router and no problem since and as I said when I swapped back the original router I had the exact same issues

Eircom would lose less customers to UPC, spend less time on tech support and give their customers a better service by scrapping the Zyxels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Can anyone tell me are Eircom doing works on my line today or what. The amount of times the router has cut out today is a joke. and incredibly slow id try to do a speed test but im sure half way through it the router will cut out. Not even funny at this stage. today is the worst ever. having it a year and there its gone again and im still typing this. ha ha. back now. ugh. im sick of this cant do anything. Gone AGAIN. twice in a minute. better post this before i have nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Can anyone tell me are Eircom doing works on my line today or what. The amount of times the router has cut out today is a joke. and incredibly slow id try to do a speed test but im sure half way through it the router will cut out. Not even funny at this stage. today is the worst ever. having it a year and there its gone again and im still typing this. ha ha. back now. ugh. im sick of this cant do anything. Gone AGAIN. twice in a minute. better post this before i have nothing

Hi shannon_tek,

Thanks for posting.

If you PM your home phone number or eircom account number, I can take a look at your broadband connection and advise you.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

My connection is also dropping off every now and then.

What is the difference between the Zyxel and the Netopia 3347 NWG?
    Is it that the Zyxel supports ADSL2 and the Netopia doesn't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Gerb68 wrote: »
    My connection is also dropping off every now and then.

What is the difference between the Zyxel and the Netopia 3347 NWG?
    Is it that the Zyxel supports ADSL2 and the Netopia doesn't?

Hi Gerb68
    both support ADSL2, the Netopia is just an older model.
    If you PM me your tel. no can test connection, may be able to help on dis-connects.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The Zyxel modems suck, end of. I'm with perlico, and I went through 3 zyxel modems, all kept dropping.

The modems suck, I replaced my one with one I bought myself and my connection has been flawless. Zyxel modems are just rubbish, you won't get the reps saying/admitting that the gear they supply sucks, but well it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Hi Ant/Tony,

I am in the same position as the Op but i was upgraded as i was a "loyal customer" and i have had frequent calls with your support team to be told that there is a known wireless connection problem with the Zyxel, so bad in fact that you are looking at to replace it as the model you give out, by when pushed you did not have an answer to when these would roll out. I agree that the ethernet is ok with this but i want to use the wireless feature.

So my reward for being a loyal Eircom customer is worse service then before with a router thats knowingly not up to the job. Its led me to look at other isp's and debate whether or not to cancel my account altogether (not very loyal i know)!!!

Gary

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Hi Ant/Tony,

I am in the same position as the Op but i was upgraded as i was a "loyal customer" and i have had frequent calls with your support team to be told that there is a known wireless connection problem with the Zyxel, so bad in fact that you are looking at to replace it as the model you give out, by when pushed you did not have an answer to when these would roll out. I agree that the ethernet is ok with this but i want to use the wireless feature.

So my reward for being a loyal Eircom customer is worse service then before with a router thats knowingly not up to the job. Its led me to look at other isp's and debate whether or not to cancel my account altogether (not very loyal i know)!!!

Gary

Hi mcgrailg
    an upgrade should absolutely not make service worse. I am not aware of any plan to replace the Zyxel as our standard router at this time. Can you PM me your tel. no and I will have your case escalated ( will be able to access your provious calls and our actions) and hope to be able to help here.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help on this, PM sent

Gary

• Advertisement

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help on this, PM sent

Gary

Hi mcgrailg
    yes, have received and should have info a bit later today.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

I have been a customer of Eircom for over 12 years but intend to cancel my subscription. This Zytel modem is an absolute disaster - keeps losing the connection. I've had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi dhoun

I may be able to help with this issue, would you like to DM me your account/landline number with a brief description of the issue and I will look into this for you?

Regards

Al

Advertisement