Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steaks in the oven?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    ive always done my steaks in a pan, seering them first and then bringing the heat low and leaving them for a while till done... but ive seen some chefs just seer them in the pan and then put them, still in the pan, into a pre-heated oven. Can someone let me know the deatails of this process.... how hot should the oven be, how long the steaks should go in for etc? I usually use striplion steaks and i cook them to medium and well done for my wife... also any tips on seasoning them would also be great.
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

The only reason they are putting steaks into the oven is if the steaks are very thick. There is no need to do this with striploin steaks. Perhaps if you had thick fillet steaks maybe, but definitely not with striploin - they would dry up like an old boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If doing it make sure your pan can be put in the oven, e.g. plastic handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I do this, I sear the steak and put in the over (about 190) for about 7-8 mins (medium) 10-12 (well done). Although I transfer mine to a pre heated baking tray. You can then use the juice left over in the pan to make gravy.

The reason I cook steak like this is because hubby likes his steak well done (cooked through but not charred) and I find the oven cooks the meat well without drying it out or making it tough on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

works very well for thick steaks such as fillets. Sear them first on the pan and then bung them in a moderate temp oven for 7-8 mins and they are perfect medium done.

If you like rare or blue then stick with the pan as all you are doing is searing.

Advertisement