Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Coffee-Gresham Hotel etc...

Options
  • 13-06-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

A bug bear of mine (since i drink a lot of coffee) is the price of a cup of coffee in coffee shops/pubs/restaurants/hotels. IMO there is no justification for charging more than €2.50 for a cup of coffee. Most coffee shops are in and around that price...Even the Merrion hotel only charges €3.00 (ok it is a 5 star hotel)
    So I nearly fell off my chair to be charged €4.00 for a cup of coffee in the Gresham hotel (it wasnt even nice) Total rip off imo!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

As far as my memory serves me, I think it is also €4 in Glasnevin cemetry coffee shop. I think €1.50 is more than enough for tea,of any kind. Possibly €2 for plain regular coffee. Chain coffee oulets, with indifferent staff, in an industrial area selling €3.50 coffee is terrible. So there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I suppose it depends on what you get for it. Many people use the Grasham for meetings, sit in their chairs for a couple of hours and buy one coffee - so €4 is great value.

If you just want a 5 minute coffee fix, its not good value, but there are plenty of choices around.

The choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I like taking coffee in the Gresham. You get a more space than in most places, comfortable seats, service with a bit of a flourish, the coffee coming in a cafetiere. And the price is about right: not enough to put me off, but just about sufficient to deter the hoi-polloi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP, places charge as much as people will pay
    you paid the €4, as will lots of other people

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

a cup of coffee in starbucks in the US is $1.50 or so

to put it in context

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

to put it in context

yeah, but a market of 300 million gives them better economies of scale, and people work for pittens over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

to put it in context
    no its not - more like $3-$4 unless on special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I know this is about the gresham but mcdonalds do the best coffee,and answer to ur question here....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100205101535AADPsW2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

with an old flask of boiled water and a cup in the car if one is that desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

to put it in context

Link :confused:

Maybe a cup of filter coffee...or drip as they call it in the states

Which you can buy in starbucks here if you so wish!!

Their speciality drinks are more than "$1.50 or so" in the states....and here...and everywhere....

• Advertisement

maxer68 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what you get for it. Many people use the Grasham for meetings, sit in their chairs for a couple of hours and buy one coffee - so €4 is great value.

If you just want a 5 minute coffee fix, its not good value, but there are plenty of choices around.

The choice is yours.

Agreed. Sometimes you are also paying for the experience not just a coffee.

You could go and sit in a mcdonalds and have a euro coffee (nice coffee btw!) or you could go relax and enjoy whiling an hour away over a €4 coffee in the Gresham.

The choice is yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

4euro for a pot of tea in the gresham also

4euro for a pot of tea in the gresham also

Yes.

And again:
    amdublin wrote: »
    Sometimes you are also paying for the experience not just a coffeetea.

You could go and sit in a mcdonalds and have a euro coffee tea or you could go relax and enjoy whiling an hour away over a €4 Coffee tea in the Gresham.

The choice is yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

I think you really pay for the atmosphere and the surroundings... And for the fact that you're not with the common people ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The Italian cafe on the Rathmines bridge has bloody lovely coffee for 1.50.

I am not sure if it costs more to have in the cafe (it might do), I got it to go and it was the nicest coffee I've had in a while.

No idea what the name of it is though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As far as my memory serves me, I think it is also €4 in Glasnevin cemetry coffee shop.

Was charged €5 for 2 small bottles of coke there on Sunday. Then the have the next to ask for donations when your leaving.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

I was at Glasnevin Cemetery 3 weeks ago... I didn't know you had to pay for the exhibit and the receptionist let me in for free... They're not all bad ;D

KoolKid wrote: »
    Was charged €5 for 2 small bottles of coke there on Sunday. Then the have the next to ask for donations when your leaving.:eek::eek:

Just be thankful that you were in a fit state to leave: many people never get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I know this is about the gresham but mcdonalds do the best coffee,and answer to ur question here....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100205101535AADPsW2

I hate to admit it, but yes. They really do!! McDonalds Coffee is Delicious!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

maxer68 wrote: »

The choice is yours.

Merrion hotel charges €3 for a cup of coffee, can sit all night if I want, service 2nd to none and dont feel im being ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

I like taking coffee in the Gresham. You get a more space than in most places, comfortable seats, service with a bit of a flourish, the coffee coming in a cafetiere. And the price is about right: not enough to put me off, but just about sufficient to deter the hoi-polloi.

Im talking about a cup of coffee (not a cafetiere) for €4.00..that is taking the piss..PS if you want service go to the Merrion.

John32c wrote: »
    Im talking about a cup of coffee (not a cafetiere) for €4.00..that is taking the piss..PS if you want service go to the Merrion.

So if I'm somewhere in the area of Upper O'Connell Street, and I want a coffee, I should head off to the Merrion Hotel? I'd probably need a hot drink to keep me going until I get there.

Advertisement