Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you compete injury free?.

• 13-06-2011 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, during the year I'd pick up a lot of niggling injuries - nothing too serious mostly.

But it seem's coming up to competitions I'm treading a fine line between staying fit & focused and injury/illness free.

Illness (cold or flu's) knock me out and I won't compete with one, but injuries are something I'll tend to work through, hit the Difene and promise a rest period post competition.

Anyone else in the same boat, or is age finally catching up with me?... :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

Just wondering, during the year I'd pick up a lot of niggling injuries - nothing too serious mostly.

But it seem's coming up to competitions I'm treading a fine line between staying fit & focused and injury/illness free.

Illness (cold or flu's) knock me out and I won't compete with one, but injuries are something I'll tend to work through, hit the Difene and promise a rest period post competition.

Anyone else in the same boat, or is age finally catching up with me?... :o

Thats me to a tee including the DIFENE, im sad to say were getting OLD..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Depends on the injury really. During the judo IVs I had brustitus in my toes - it meant I was constantly effing and blinding between bouts, but no real difference to my performance. Right now though my left collar bone is in 3 pieces, so there's no way I could do anything on the mat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Right now though my left collar bone is in 3 pieces, so there's no way I could do anything on the mat.

Ye olde worlde Judo smashed shoulder syndrome - its a whore of a style for it.

Bloody shoulder floppers :p

Guess I need to work on my ukemi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ye olde worlde Judo smashed shoulder syndrome - its a whore of a style for it.

Bloody shoulder floppers :p

Better or worse than flopping to guard?!

I dunno about MA cos I've not been at it long enough to know, but I know when I was powerlifting I was pretty much always on the verge of being injured because the heaviest and hardest workloads came around competition time.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote:
    Better or worse than flopping to guard?!
    All the difene in the world couldn't numb the pain of being known as a guard puller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

always injured and/or sore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Not just compete, I rarely ever train without an injury! Its always Fingers, Toes, Ankle or Back. I feel like an old man and Im just 18! ha.

Also my arse does be sore from all the butt flopping too! ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I can usually train through most niggling injuries, there is almost always something causing discomfort. This damn torn hamstring though has put the kibosh on everything even with the difene.

It must be either the arrival of thirties or 11/12 years constant training. Not sure which to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Right now though my left collar bone is in 3 pieces, so there's no way I could do anything on the mat.

I was there, was quite epic to see. Injured the tendon in my left arm that day myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I don't think I've ever been injury free since I was about 11.. Whether it be rugby, GAA, BJJ, hurling or soccer.. There's always something wrong :P Especially when I'm not doing great, it's quite a coincidence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

There seems to be a pretty good correlation between winning and having
    no injuries. In particular when your winning well with a good deal of style
    and control.

The other things is, there is usually one guy in the club who is just awkward,
    and training him usually leads to injuries. I'm inclined to take the falls as best
    I can, with this guy and not fight him too much for them. Indeed I would feel
    that, turning randori from sparring into competition is a good recipe for injury.

Advertisement