Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do points based grants still exist?

• 13-06-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

This is really something I meant to look into months back but never did.
    Wondering if colleges still give out grants for high points applicants? I couldn't find what I was looking for on UCD's website. In fact just about the only thing I did find was this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1858563

Just wondering if this is still practiced or if it's gone with the faeries since all the money everywhere evaporated. Any links to information pages for UCD or trinity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

I can only give a little help in regards Trinity. Here is everything you need to know http://www.tcd.ie/assets/documents/calendar/part1_prizes_and_other_awards.pdf

Most of them are not big, it is more the honour of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

TCD - 500 points gets an Entrance Exhibition of about €500

UCD - 600 pts gets an Ad Astra Scholarship. . .basically a small grant, guaranteed accomodation, and access to advanced classes, ect.

UCC - 60 scholarships of €2000 each, 5 only for Medicine

NUIG - 560 pts gets a monetary scholarship, and top 10 only for medicine also get a scholarship

UL - No general pts-based one, as far as I know, but lots of bitty scholarships

. . .hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

TCD - 500 points gets an Entrance Exhibition of about €500

Not true, I got 535 and got nothing, it's 545 or above and you don't get cash you get book tokens.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

Not true, I got 535 and got nothing, it's 545 or above and you don't get cash you get book tokens.

You get 1000 Euro if you get over 500 points in DCU. I know because I got a letter from them saying that but I'm not sure about UCD or TCD...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I've never heard of this before!! Does anyone know anything about DIT??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dongl

Thanks for all the info guys, particularly curly. I'll have a proper look at that behemoth of a PDF once the LC wraps up for me on Wednesday.
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Not meaning to hijack but how does the JP McManus All Ireland Scholarship work?

Does anyone know the highest and lowest points that people last year got it?

I know I qualify but are we looking at 600 points or 500,400 or what?

Thanks if anyone can aswer, they have the winners but not the points they got on their website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

560 these days

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Not meaning to hijack but how does the JP McManus All Ireland Scholarship work?

Does anyone know the highest and lowest points that people last year got it?

I know I qualify but are we looking at 600 points or 500,400 or what?

Thanks if anyone can aswer, they have the winners but not the points they got on their website!

i know a few people who got this last year and they got around 555/565

i know a few people who got this last year and they got around 555/565

Shizzz.. I guess thats the average then?

Anyone know what the lowest generally is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Shizzz.. I guess thats the avertage then yeah?

yea i'd say you'd need at least 550 to get it! i could be wrong though, but the four people i know had 555 minimum.

yea i'd say you'd need at least 550 to get it! i could be wrong though, but the four people i know had 555 minimum.

I'm just after looking at the winners from last year and I know one of te people who got it in my county! I didn't know he got it until now but he definitely got 510 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

In UCD the people in each course with the highest points or who reach a certain points threshold get a scholarship, I was looking at it last year and in certain Arts courses you might only need >500points, but in courses like law, medicine, the threshold was a good bit higher, around >580. So with my points I could have gotten a scholarship in certain courses, but as it happens in mine you need 580 so yeah, didn't happen :P
    You also get a High Achievers Award in UCD if you get 540 or above, you don't get anything for it but it's noted on your final degree so it's the prestige of it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

you get €1000 of maynooth if you get over 500 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

You get a grand in cash for over 500 points in maynooth and DCU, but my top choices are in Trinity... book tokens my arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It depends on the year in Trinity but this year due to grade inflation the points you need to get an 'Entrance Exhibition' was raised from 545 to 560.

If you get over 560 you get €300 book tokens (for Hodges Figgis) which is spread over first and second year, ie. you get €150 in first year and €150 in second year. Actually really handy for buying course books, and if you don't need any books for your course (which is usual) you can just buy books you want or presents for people!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    You get a grand in cash for over 500 points in maynooth and DCU, but my top choices are in Trinity... book tokens my arse

Its because a lot of people who get over 500 go to Trinity, and not very many go to Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

UCC - 60 scholarships of €2000 each, 5 only for Medicine

How does this work ????
    Let's say I get 570-600 , they just give me ?2'000 cash, no means testing or any that stuff?
    Would you also have to include certain subjects, like im doing 10, so can Maths & Irish...etc be excluded or are they a must for grants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Would you also have to include certain subjects, like im doing 10, so can Maths & Irish...etc be excluded or are they a must for grants?

WTF:confused:

• Advertisement

NotExactly wrote: »
    WTF:confused:

Yeah , it only started off as 8 ,but then I finished the course my extra subject economics in 5th year ,so I took up business 6th year,lived in Spain 3months, so I done Spanish outside school aswell. So I have. English, Irish, Maths, Accounting , Business, Economics, Geography, Music, French , Spanish.
    I still don't do any actual hard subjects though.
    So anyone know how the grants work??? Do I need to include the 3 core subjects or just top 6 choice subjects for grant?

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Yeah , it only started off as 8 ,but then I finished the course my extra subject economics in 5th year ,so I took up business 6th year,lived in Spain 3months, so I done Spanish outside school aswell. So I have. English, Irish, Maths, Accounting , Business, Economics, Geography, Music, French , Spanish.
    I still don't do any actual hard subjects though.
    So anyone know how the grants work??? Do I need to include the 3 core subjects or just top 6 choice subjects for grant?

Christ that's a lot of subjects!

No sure you only ever count your top 6 for points, as long as you pass the matriculation subjects like English and Maths for most colleges!

Just wondering but are you hoping for 600?

Christ that's a lot of subjects!

No sure you only ever count your top 6 for points, as long as you pass the matriculation subjects like English and Maths for most colleges!

Just wondering but are you hoping for 600?

Im not really that bothered to be honest, There's a chance I will get 600, but it doesn't mean that much to me .I'd prefer to get 10B's ,than 6 A's & 4 D's. Sayiing that though i'd be fairly annoyed if I missed out on a grant, trying to achieve a balance in my subjects.

Advertisement