Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove unwanted WiFi connections

Options
  • 13-06-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭

Just moved house last week, and ever since there is an issue with my WiFi.

I had UPC here twice, they told me today, that something from the outside interferes with my signal.

What I am trying now is to remove all WiFi connections bar mine.

I am going into the Network and Sharing Centre/Connect to a network. There is this small window coming up with all available connections.

Is there any chance, I can remove unwanted connections from there? Right click on 'Properties' does not exist.

Logging into the modem (Cisco EPC 2425) does not work either :mad:

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That doesn't really make any sense. You can't "block" wireless broadcasts, you just don't connect to them.

Can any devices connect to your network? Or is it just your laptop that can't?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

28064212 wrote: »
    That doesn't really make any sense. You can't "block" wireless broadcasts, you just don't connect to them.

Can any devices connect to your network? Or is it just your laptop that can't?

I know, I can't block them as such. The problem is, that one of those other wireless broadcasts seems to stop my own one from working...so said the technician who came out today.

Anyway, the telly and the housephone are fine, just my laptop, which does not connect to the internet.

Don't have other devices to connect though

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I know, I can't block them as such. The problem is, that one of those other wireless broadcasts seems to stop my own one from working...so said the technician who came out today.
    That's a possibility, but you can't do anything about their broadcasts, apart from asking them to turn them off.

It might be that your router is using a channel which is very crowded. Go to your router page (192.168.1.1), then Setup => Wireless => Basic, then change the "New Channel" drop-down to something which isn't the same as the number below it. Then reboot your laptop and see if you can connect to it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

you cant block the other networks and as far as I know if there is a lot of users on the same network in your area you will all compete for signal, try using a pre pay or contract dongle it may be a better option for you

I'm not able to go to the router's page, tried with different browsers. Even two technicians failed to do so ;)

• Advertisement

I'm not able to go to the router's page, tried with different browsers. Even two technicians failed to do so ;)
    Does your network show up as an option to connect to? What happens when you try to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

What i would do if i was there would be to use wireless analyser. as was mentioned previously if yourself and your neighbour both are using channel 3 lets say, channels 1-5 will bascially be used. so should pick channel 8 lets say.

i had a nice free app on my android phone that would scan all the wireles devices available and show on a graph that channel they are on showing you where in the spectrum would be a good place to change yours too (which reminds me i need to update mine)...

but if you are having a problem with your router i would look at that first.
    Im surprised two technicians came out to your and were not able to fix it.
    If worst comes to worst you would need to reset the box and change the IPs... if the router is not working then i would go back to them and get them to replace it !

Does your network show up as an option to connect to? What happens when you try to connect?

It shows up, but when I try to connect, no joy. 'Adapter not detected'

It shows up, but when I try to connect, no joy. 'Adapter not detected'
    Can you connect to other networks? Or attempt to, if they have security enabled?

Can you connect to other networks? Or attempt to, if they have security enabled?

My O2 stick works perfectly. Apart from that only connections who require security keys

• Advertisement

My O2 stick works perfectly. Apart from that only connections who require security keys
    If you try to connect to one of the secured ones, does it ask you for a password?

Do you have a LAN cable that you could use to connect your laptop directly to your router?

If you try to connect to one of the secured ones, does it ask you for a password?

Do you have a LAN cable that you could use to connect your laptop directly to your router?

I'm always asked for passwords, and yes, it works with the cable without problems.

Just managed to log into the modem's page, it says something about 'MAC Address Filtering'. Tried to filter any unwanted signals and networks, no joy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

WiFi Channels 5 overlap channels 8. you want channels tha dont Over Lap One other,, Must WiFi boxes come working with Channel 11 and on a 2.5 Ghz Range.

the New UPC boxes can now run up to 5Ghz of a Range, I would Change my Ghz output, if your Computer Wireless Card cant pick up that Range i would use Channel 6 Which does not over lap with Channel 11.

if your Card can use 5Ghz i would leave channel 11 alone and just use it on a 5Ghz Range. Please Note that with 5 Ghz it will be Stronger but Wave Lenght of it will become Shorter even if you are running a N+ or N box which are the New UPC Modems this will stop all the trouble.

I never came across a Case as yours as most Cheap Wireless Modems Waves would just hit back off the House Walls. they most have them near a Window if this is your Case./

I'm always asked for passwords, and yes, it works with the cable without problems.

Just managed to log into the modem's page, it says something about 'MAC Address Filtering'. Tried to filter any unwanted signals and networks, no joy :mad:
    MAC address filtering allows a router to restrict access to just your device, it doesn't do anything to external networks or signals, so turn it off. Try what I suggested in an earlier post, change the channel on your router

MAC address filtering allows a router to restrict access to just your device, it doesn't do anything to external networks or signals, so turn it off. Try what I suggested in an earlier post, change the channel on your router

When he is changing the Channels he will want to make sure that the Channels dont over lap.

he is running a channel 11 so is most of the routers. so i would change it to channel 6 which does not over lap with Channel 11.

Channel 8 OverLaps with 6 7 9 10 & 11

your best bet is Either use 1 or 6

I have 3 Routers running on the Same Doamin at home, the Inter Router running Channel 6, and the two Reapeaters running on 2 and 10 as they have less of a OverLap that wouldnt do much damage to a Wireless Signal.

As Stated in my last post what his happening with Over Lapping Signals, is 2 or More Waves are overLapping, which will cause Packets to drop.

Just like a RC Car or plane if 2 people in the same park had put running on 10 one would crash and the other one would keep on Working. or 1 person would be flying/Driving the 2 unaware of this, So what it came down to, he is getting no Problem but if their is 3 of you with WiFi i bet you and another person in the same area have the same problem with one guy unarware at the problem.. Or could just be your House,, Metal Blocking the Signal getting to your laptop ? or even the Wireless Card is broken.

Thanks, it's changed to Channel 6 and it works :)

Hope, it stays like that.

Thanks, it's changed to Channel 6 and it works :)

Hope, it stays like that.

Yes it will Stay Working once some one else does not Change their Channel inside their Router. Most people dont have a Clue on What Channels are Etc.Etc so you are Safe.

Cork24 wrote: »
    Yes it will Stay Working once some one else does not Change their Channel inside their Router. Most people dont have a Clue on What Channels are Etc.Etc so you are Safe.

I won't touch it, that's for sure ;)

And thanks very much for all your advice :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

For anyone with similar problems inSSIDer 2.0 is a very handy tool for showing what wifi networks are around you and what channels they are using.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

dub45 wrote: »
    For anyone with similar problems inSSIDer 2.0 is a very handy tool for showing what wifi networks are around you and what channels they are using.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Cool.thanks. That's a handy one indeed :cool:

And there I have something called 'Ballagh' coming up, whatever that is :confused:

• Advertisement

Right so, after one week, the modem automatically changed back to Channel 1.

Is there a chance, that UPC found out, that I was messing with the modem?

Anyway, I switched back to Channel 6, and it's fine again ;)

No, what you do with the Channel Settings is up to you..

you most have reset it or something..

No, what you do with the Channel Settings is up to you..

you most have reset it or something..

No, I actually didn't do anything. The connection just went down today :(

your Connection Time Out. your IP Renewed it self,

your ip is change by UPC every few days, unless you pay more money for a Static one,

this is only if you run WebServer or FTP Server,

this is done Auto by Your ISP, your Router will Restart itself to allow it to get the new IP Address, your Router must have falling back on Channel 11, if this happens again just do what you did the first time set it back on Channel 6,

or ring UPC and ask them why is my Router keep Setting its self back to channel 11, they would more likly give you the same answer as i just did

your Connection Time Out. your IP Renewed it self,

your ip is change by UPC every few days, unless you pay more money for a Static one,

this is only if you run WebServer or FTP Server,

this is done Auto by Your ISP, your Router will Restart itself to allow it to get the new IP Address, your Router must have falling back on Channel 11, if this happens again just do what you did the first time set it back on Channel 6,

or ring UPC and ask them why is my Router keep Setting its self back to channel 11, they would more likly give you the same answer as i just did

They are supposed to be here tomorrow anyhow, some kind of service quality review, maybe their technicians came here too often in the last two weeks :D

I could mention the story with the router and the IP though, thanks for reminding me :)

Advertisement