Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree subject compliance

Options
  • 13-06-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Today I got an email from the Dean of Arts telling me I cannot graduate with my joint major degree (History&Politics) as I did one more History subject (5 credits) than Politics. I seemed to have lost track of all my different credits so basically I had to have done one more Politics subject instead. **** times.

I can't get a reply until after June 27th it seems...

Anyone know what the procedure for this is or what I will have to do?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Today I got an email from the Dean of Arts telling me I cannot graduate with my joint major degree (History&Politics) as I did one more History subject (5 credits) than Politics. I seemed to have lost track of all my different credits so basically I had to have done one more Politics subject instead. **** times.

Have you spoken to the Programme Office? I presume they'll still let you graduate - just not with the joint major. Maybe the modules you chose fits some major/minor combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

That's mad. Think I may be in similar situation next year, can you let me know what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You might have to do an extra module to redress the imbalance. I say might as only the programme office will be able to tell you for sure.

There really should be more checks and balances to stop people taking the wrong amount of credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Programme Office can't tell me anything more than the email. Whether it's correct or not, dropping me with the bombshell that 'I cannot graduate etc' and then telling me I can't get clarification until the 27th takes the piss. If they can tell me this now, then they could have told me directly when I still had a chance to correct things, rather then the copious emails they send you with general registration info.

The fact is yes, I should have been more alert, but the SIS system let this happen. It safeguards against timetable clashes and restricts you in other different ways, but not this? You could argue that quite a few of my history subjects have been quasi-politics and vice-versa anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Sorry to hear that OP.

Does anyone know where the requirements are listed? Had a look there and can't find it. I'm doing Arts and going in to 3rd year so want to make sure all is ok w/ my registration.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Programme Office can't tell me anything more than the email. Whether it's correct or not, dropping me with the bombshell that 'I cannot graduate etc' and then telling me I can't get clarification until the 27th takes the piss. If they can tell me this now, then they could have told me directly when I still had a chance to correct things, rather then the copious emails they send you with general registration info.

The fact is yes, I should have been more alert, but the SIS system let this happen. It safeguards against timetable clashes and restricts you in other different ways, but not this? You could argue that quite a few of my history subjects have been quasi-politics and vice-versa anyway.

That sounds complete bull****. You were in the joint major program and if you completed all your modules you should be awarded the joint major.

Just wondering OP: did you take any electives in Politics. If so you should be able to say: look! Here's an extra 5 credits in Politics - happy?

This should particularly be the case if you have any elective in politics from stage 2 (i.e. second or third year)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

I'm sorry to hear you're in this situation, OP. It's incredible that UCD can drop a bombshell like that on you, then refuse to talk to you for several weeks.

However, in fairness to SIS web, it's not its role to police the classes you take, and how that choice affects the make-up of your degree - that's your own personal responsiblity. The system's role is to prevent timetable clashes and ensure you've taken enough credits overall - that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

That sounds really REALLY crap and unfair.

So I'm going into second year Arts can I just ask something? I'm doing Irish and English. So I assume that I'd have to do 10 Irish modules, 10 English module, and 4 electives throughout 2nd / 3rd year. But what if one of my elective modules happens to be an English module, meaning I'd technically be doing more English modules than Irish ones. Is this a problem? Would I be in the same situation that the OP is in?

Sorry if this is a stupid question and sorry for temporarily taking over your thread.

That sounds complete bull****. You were in the joint major program and if you completed all your modules you should be awarded the joint major.

Just wondering OP: did you take any electives in Politics. If so you should be able to say: look! Here's an extra 5 credits in Politics - happy?

This should particularly be the case if you have any elective in politics from stage 2 (i.e. second or third year)

But it is not BS. A joint major means you have to do 50 credits in each subject, so the OP did not complete all their modules. It may sound harsh, but people are made aware of this when they start stage 2.

I did say earlier there should be more effort made to prevent this from happening, but it is your degree after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

It sounds fair enough. Do you really deserve a degree anyway if you can't follow simple instructions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭xxzaraxx

I got the same email today... devastated :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

xxzaraxx wrote: »
    I got the same email today... devastated :(

Why?
    What difference does it make except to make one major and another minor? Surely you can still graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Why?
    What difference does it make except to make one major and another minor? Surely you can still graduate?

Because for a major/minor degree you need 60 credits for your major and 40 for the minor. They both have a 55/45 split.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Because for a major/minor degree you need 60 credits for your major and 40 for the minor. They both have a 55/45 split.

So they need to go back and do other stuff to compensate?
    In that case will have a 60-45 split can you graduate with 5 more than you should have done?:confused:

So they need to go back and do other stuff to compensate?
    In that case will have a 60-45 split can you graduate with 5 more than you should have done?:confused:

It's not entirely clear, as parkerkent has already said, only the programme office will know exactly what they have to do.

But it appears like they will have to take an extra module so to make up the shortfall, and will then graduate with an extra module, which is why it will cost more. Extra credits don't affect the GPA of the stage or degree, however.

Why?

Well they obviously wanted a joint major. Plus as is said above, they don't meet the requirements for a major/minor either.

This happens every year.

It's not entirely clear, as parkerkent has already said, only the programme office will know exactly what they have to do.

But it appears like they will have to take an extra module so to make up the shortfall, and will then graduate with an extra module, which is why it will cost more. Extra credits don't affect the GPA of the stage or degree, however.

So its like leaving cert subjects only calculating the top 6 for points, regardless of how many subjects you do.
    I had assumed the SIS would flag any anomalies with this sorta thing when your registering modules, if it does not then it should.
    Better go over my own degree and make sure everything balances out to avoid this next year..

So its like leaving cert subjects only calculating the top 6 for points, regardless of how many subjects you do.

No, the 120 credits earned in Stage 2 are what make up your degree GPA. In this instance they are 5 credits short in one of their joint majors. Therefore what will probably/might happen is that they will return next semester to do one more module (and this is possible in others instances as well), earning the extra 5 credits to have a joint major (50 credits in each subject). It will appear on their transcript and will mean they have earned 50 credits in both majors, however the extra module taken next semester will not count towards their degree GPA.
    I had assumed the SIS would flag any anomalies with this sorta thing when your registering modules, if it does not then it should.
    Better go over my own degree and make sure everything balances out to avoid this next year..

Well that is not the purpose of SIS, and it is made clear to students at the beginning of Stage 2 that it is their responsibility to ensure their degree choices are correct. However in saying that there should be more effort on UCD's part to ensure that this situation does not occur as its a very costly mistake.

No, the 120 credits earned in Stage 2 are what make up your degree GPA. In this instance they are 5 credits short in one of their joint majors. Therefore what will probably/might happen is that they will return next semester to do one more module (and this is possible in others instances as well), earning the extra 5 credits to have a joint major (50 credits in each subject). It will appear on their transcript and will mean they have earned 50 credits in both majors, however the extra module taken next semester will not count towards their degree GPA.

Well that is not the purpose of SIS, and it is made clear to students at the beginning of Stage 2 that it is their responsibility to ensure their degree choices are correct. However in saying that there should be more effort on UCD's part to ensure that this situation does not occur as its a very costly mistake.

Could have fooled us its not the purpose of SIS.
    When your registering for modules it tells you what your requirements etc are you need to do x options x elective x core.

IF you follow those requirements and then UCD turns around and says you didn't do it right whos fault is that yours or ucd?

Could have fooled us its not the purpose of SIS.
    When your registering for modules it tells you what your requirements etc are you need to do x options x elective x core.

IF you follow those requirements and then UCD turns around and says you didn't do it right whos fault is that yours or ucd?

I'm not trying to fool anyone, what I was saying is that its not the purpose of SIS to ensure you have chosen the correct amount of credits for a joint major or major/minor etc. Therefore, as harsh as it is, its your fault.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to fool anyone, what I was saying is that its not the purpose of SIS to ensure you have chosen the correct amount of credits for a joint major or major/minor etc. Therefore, as harsh as it is, its your fault.

They sure hide that well, I've been here a few years now and ive always thought the SIS would warn you of taking too much of x or too little of y same way it does timetable clashes, your number of credits and defects are even displayed on the right hand side.
    You could easily be led to think the SIS warned you of such things.
    If thats not what its for then honestly what the **** IS it for?

I had nothing "made clear" to me otherwise, other than a throwaway generic disclaimer.

Its amazing to me that we have the technology to prevent errors like this easily but UCD just doesn't use it.
    Typical UCD, tryina avoid responsibility instead of using good management.

This (http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/registration10_stage2_generalinfo.pdf) was linked to in an email sent to students last summer.

From that link:
    The Registration System
    During Registration, BA Stage 2 students see the entire 120 credit Stage 2. As you move through your Stage you will see what you have completed as well as what you have to complete. The details of the registration screens will be explained elsewhere but you will have to be clear about what you need to do. This is where this document is important. It is important that you give this part of the process your full attention and that you engage fully with it. You have the primary responsibility to ensure that you meet the requirements for the Stage and the degree overall. The registration system will only record the choices you have made, it will not police them. Your compliance with degree regulations is checked only when you complete 180 credits (240 credits for International Students) and you will not graduate unless you have met the requirements of the degree.
    Just because the registration system allows you to do something, does not mean that you are meeting the requirements of the degree.
    It is your responsibility to ensure that you have completed sufficient credit in each subject to satisfy the requirements of your major/minor as appropriate e.g. if you are taking a Joint Major in History and English, you must have completed 50 credits from the History Joint Major structure and 50 credits from the English Joint Major structure.

Essentially we are responsible for ensuring that our choices comply with our degree. And that's the way it should be, we're adults after all.

In saying that it absolutely needs to be made more clear to students and flagged more visibly as it is an unfortunate and shitty situation to find yourself in, like the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

This (http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/registration10_stage2_generalinfo.pdf)Essentially we are responsible for ensuring that our choices comply with our degree. And that's the way it should be, we're adults after all.

In saying that it absolutely needs to be made more clear to students and flagged more visibly as it is an unfortunate and shitty situation to find yourself in, like the OP.

I think that UCD was perfectly open and direct on this one; your quote displays that. It's not UCD's fault if students choose to ignore warnings like this or what one poster described as "generic disclaimers".

This, for once, isn't an instance of poor management by UCD, as suggested by a poster - it's carelessness and finger-pointing by students who can't handle something as basic as module selection and are now looking for a scapegoat.

I feel bad for them, but it's on them and no-one else.

UCD are not hiding anything, it is made clear in several instances that SIS will not ensure that your choices are degree compliant. The onus is on the student. Should they feel unsure, go to the programme office.

Maybe if people were less careless about a "throwaway generic disclaimer" they would notice that.

Yeah I agree completely with the two of you. When I was saying it needs to be flagged better, I was thinking of something along the lines of a notice similar to the one in the link, 'It is your responsibility to ensure that you have completed sufficient credit in each subject to satisfy the requirements of your major/minor as appropriate', that should be placed as a last reminder before you go into the module registration section in SIS.

Ultimately, your degree = your responsibility to ensure it is in order.

*btw, this not a dig at the OP at all. I feel sorry for them and it is a terrible situation in which to find yourself.

I agree with you with everything there. The OP has my sympathy and obviously made a genuine mistake.

I think that UCD was perfectly open and direct on this one; your quote displays that. It's not UCD's fault if students choose to ignore warnings like this or what one poster described as "generic disclaimers".

This, for once, isn't an instance of poor management by UCD, as suggested by a poster - it's carelessness and finger-pointing by students who can't handle something as basic as module selection and are now looking for a scapegoat.

I feel bad for them, but it's on them and no-one else.

I never thought it was a mystery that you needed 50 and 50 for a joint major, just didn't know the exact ratio if any for a major/minor.

My puzzlement is why SIS, which is clearly capable of monitoring numbers of electives required and deficits etc, can't simply flash in red on the side "you have chosen an excess number of sociology modules" the same way it says "you have a 5 credits defecit for stage 2" and the like.
    It would be a very simple modification.

Something being your responsibility does not mean you should receive no warning when your making a mistake, that kinda thinking is just spiteful.
    Its your responsibility to ensure you have your fees paid, you still get a warning email saying "if your fees are not paid by x date a hold will be placed on your account"
    Its your responsibility to ensure you have library books back on time, theres still a system to remind you of the dates and time they're due back.
    Its students ultimate responsibility to make sure they've enough credits for completing a stage, yet SIS still warns them if they haven't done it.
    It's students responsibility to make choose the right ratio of options to cores to electives, yet SIS still helps them make that choice more accurately, because thats what it was designed for, it was designed to make things easier in one area (otherwise we'd just do it manually), so I see no reason why it can't make things easier in another area and flash a warning if you choose excess modules in a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I completely agree with supernutrino.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You may as well drop off an email to the Education Officer explaining the issue, worth a shot.

• Advertisement

It may not be as easy as you think for SIS to do what many here would like it to do. Think of many courses there are in UCD. Think of how many combinations of subjects available. It would be an enormous job to design SIS in a way that would track whether each person was fulfilling the needs for their course.

It is far easier for the person doing the course to track whether they are fulfilling the criteria for their course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement