Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree subject compliance

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It would be a very simple modification.

As a matter of interest, is that claim based on actual knowledge, or are you just assuming it would be easy to do with absolutely no understanding of how the SIS backend works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Raphael wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is that claim based on actual knowledge, or are you just assuming it would be easy to do with absolutely no understanding of how the SIS backend works?

It's not a claim, its a fact. The system already keeps track of module deficits so it therefore knows how many modules your taking, thus it could easily keep track of surpluses, as well as highlight this more visibly.
    If a system central to a universitys functioning could not do something as simple as count, then we would need a new system.

This attitude is typical of bureaucrats in every organization, list the reasons and exuses why you can't do something and why its not your problem, instead of being constructive and trying to figure out how it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It's not a claim, its a fact. The system already keeps track of module deficits so it therefore knows how many modules your taking, thus it could easily keep track of surpluses, as well as highlight this more visibly.
    If a system central to a universitys functioning could not do something as simple as count, then we would need a new system.

This attitude is typical of bureaucrats in every organization, list the reasons and exuses why you can't do something and why its not your problem, instead of being constructive and trying to figure out how it can be done.

This is exactly why UCD admin staff often feel like banging their heads on a table. Your posts about "bureaucrats" are getting laughable at this stage.

What you think is a simple task would be a mammoth undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Ok, in relation to your first point: you still haven't demonstrated any familiarity with the running/programming of the system to justify your opinion that it would be a simple job to upgrade SIS web so it could police degree composition compliance. It could well be a mammoth job, but no-one in this thread appears to know exactly either way.

With regard to your second point, it comes down to you castigating the University because an undergraduate (more than likely an adult) went through three or four years of his degree without checking that he was in a position to graduate with the degree he wanted. An honours degree isn't a minor undertaking; he was careless, end of.

Ok, in relation to your first point: you still haven't demonstrated any familiarity with the running/programming of the system to justify your opinion that it would be a simple job to upgrade SIS web so it could police degree composition compliance. It could well be a mammoth job, but no-one in this thread appears to know exactly either way.

You don't need to know the ins and outs of the sytem to know a computer counting the number of 5's on someones file is not a mammoth task, cop on would ye :rolleyes: How many times do i need to say it THE SYSTEM ALREADY KEEPS TRACK OF THIS STUFF and notes deficits, so clearly it can note a surplus as well and highlight it.

With regard to your second point, it comes down to you castigating the University because an undergraduate (more than likely an adult) went through three or four years of his degree without checking that he was in a position to graduate with the degree he wanted. An honours degree isn't a minor undertaking; he was careless, end of.

I never mentioned the OP once.

Heres a challenge: try reading what I actually wrote instead of arguing with text that is not there.

My ACTUAL second point was that there tends to be a very conservative "heres why we can't do it" attitude in organizations with a lot of admin, instead of a "how can we" attitude. If people always desperately scrambled for reasons why they can't improve x y z, instead of looking for ways they can, nothing would ever improve.

It is not a radical suggestion to say a system that already highlights credit deficits should highlight surpluses too, only someone with a lazy and inflexiible attitude would kick up a storm over such a modest suggestion.

Reminds me of HSE staff saying its not their job to screw in a light bulb and creating a big issue over it, even though doing it would take 2 seconds and cause no hassle at all.

• Advertisement

There is a difference between noting a credit deficit and what you are talking about.

You have zero knowledge of what happens behind the scenes in UCD, so your "can-do" attitude posts are ridiculous. Oh wait I forgot that all UCD staff do is sit around and think of ways to blame students.

Ok were gonna go back to basics for you to spell this out, that you work in a university is pretty amazing given your complete lack of basic reasoning skills.

If a computer can note a deficit, (as it already does) its keeping track of the number of modules you are taking.
    If it has the capability of highlighting that your only taking 45 (a deficit), then it has the capability of highlighting that your taking 55 (a surplus).
    You have to go through this same system to enroll to the 55th module so the system knows your taking 55, displaying this in red on the right the same way it does when you are not taking enough is a very simple proposition, its using the same existing functions the system has to tell you something slightly different.

It already counts your modules, I'm saying it should display the number as a warning for a surplus the same way it does for you when you don't have enough.

In fact it would be better if it blocked you from taking an excess number of modules, but I suppose you'd tell me next that computers don't have that kind of function and the universe would collapse in on itself if we tried that?
    I suppose the accommodation system prevents you from taking a second room by black magic?

You are getting hysterical insisting a system that already does something can't do it, I've seen some pretty brain dead assertions in this site before, but never a denial that something that already exists can be done (in a slightly different version)

I've given you thourough explanations of why this is a simple thing to sort, yet all you have given me is snotty answers that it can't be done without saying why.

You just have an attitude problem and you need to sort it, or find another job maybe in the HSE where being an excuse generator is a job qualification.

If a computer can note a deficit, (as it already does) its keeping track of the number of modules you are taking.
    If it has the capability of highlighting that your only taking 45 (a deficit), then it has the capability of highlighting that your taking 55 (a surplus).

Keeping track of how many modules you have signed up for is completely different to tracking whether those modules are compliant with your degree choice. Everybody uses credits and as such it is easy to implement.

However, not everybody has the same degree, masters etc. You are simply not comparing like with like. SIS just understands that a student has selected a 5, 10, 15 credit etc module. It doesn't track whether the module is compliant with that individual students degree choice. I am not working in IT so I don't know how simple or difficult it would be to implement that change. But given the enormous permutations and combinations involved, I am saying that I imagine it would be difficult. The system would not just have to track whether you have added another module, but whether that module is compliant with your previous and potential future module choices.

I've pretty clearly never said that it can't be done. What I have continually said is that it is in all likelihood a difficult task. Given you have zero knowledge of implementing such a change in a system used by around 20,000 people, I'm not sure how you are so insistent that it is simple. That is not me "having an attitude problem". So please don't infer that I have said something I have not said.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

The above post saved me a long reply; supernutrino still hasn't demonstrated any new specific knowledge to support his assertion that this would be a simple fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm locking this thread, because one party involved isn't listening to reason. I'll leave it to the viewer to infer which party that is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement