Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So It Goes?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Im just curious about what type of phrases people here like?Im looking for a simple phrase to use for my 1st tattoo which I will have on my forearm/inner bicep.Things like "So It Goes",the latin "Carpe Diem" ,"Only God Can Judge Me".The latter being over used of course.Also any font styles people think would look good?eg.http://www.dafont.com/chopin-script.font?a=on&text=So+It+Goes
    Ideas would be appreciated thanks.

edit:No tattoo bashing please its a personal choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

sanguis eternus family forever

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

damn moved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Moved from after hours.
    Could you move it back please mod as its more about phrases people like than tattoos.Il get very few replies here in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In fairness if you are asking others what to get tattooed on you, you're not ready to get the tattoo. That plus in after hours you'll only get take-the-piss answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fairness if you are asking others what to get tattooed on you, you're not ready to get the tattoo.

Meh, this canned response is trotted out here multiple times in every thread and it's extremely tedious.

A lot of people like tattoos for aesthetic rather than any "deeper" reasons, or have decided they want to get something but they're stuck for a bit of inspiration or whatever, the standard line seems to be to condescend to them that they're not ready and they should get something that "means" something to them.

Bit of a rant, tl;dr - people asking for phrases that other people are fond of are not asking for life advice on whether or not they ought to get a tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Drug'ail saor.

@OP - Memento Mori is awesome imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

And so it is...
    Just like you said it would be
    Life goes easy on me

Most

of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

op , wait a while longer , you say your looking for a phrase , wait and find one that means somthing , not what fello boardsies like . tattoo are there for life ,

keep looking or you will possibly end up with something like this :
    http://www.allweirdthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Tomarrow-Never-Knows.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Moved from after hours.

That would be a strange tattoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

seanybiker wrote: »
    That would be a strange tattoo
    "Tattoos & Piercings ---->>>"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

keane2097 wrote: »
    Meh, this canned response is trotted out here multiple times in every thread and it's extremely tedious.

A lot of people like tattoos for aesthetic rather than any "deeper" reasons, or have decided they want to get something but they're stuck for a bit of inspiration or whatever, the standard line seems to be to condescend to them that they're not ready and they should get something that "means" something to them.

Bit of a rant, tl;dr - people asking for phrases that other people are fond of are not asking for life advice on whether or not they ought to get a tattoo.

Hardly "trotted out in every thread". It's repeated because it's true.
    If someone gets a tattoo (particularly their first) that doesn't mean anything to them, odds are, they will end up regretting it. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't get a tattoo, but simply to put a bit more thought into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Everyone gets the tattoo they deserve.

Ok I have come to a decision.What do ye guys think of gettin the latin phrase "DEI GRATIA" meaning the grace of god on my inner bicep in a nice looking script yet to be deceided.Im an Irish catholic and think this would be a nice tribute to my faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Ok I have come to a decision.What do ye guys think of gettin the latin phrase "DEI GRATIA" meaning the grace of god on my inner bicep in a nice looking script yet to be deceided.Im an Irish catholic and think this would be a nice tribute to my faith.

I like it. Just make sure you REALLY want it. If you are a religious person and want to show your beliefs/faith, go for it.

Personally, i'm not a religious person, but I do love the idea of a tattoo of rosary beads. For me they would show my understanding of the idea of religion (love for your family, kindness to your fellow man/woman), so if, again, you are a person of faith and want to show it with Dei Gratia, and you know you want it, go ahead, and enjoy it.

I like it. Just make sure you REALLY want it. If you are a religious person and want to show your beliefs/faith, go for it.

Personally, i'm not a religious person, but I do love the idea of a tattoo of rosary beads. For me they would show my understanding of the idea of religion (love for your family, kindness to your fellow man/woman), so if, again, you are a person of faith and want to show it with Dei Gratia, and you know you want it, go ahead, and enjoy it.
    Cheers bud!What do the rest of you tattoo fanatics reckon?Im thinking have it cover most of my inner bicep in black stylish script such as this.http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=champignon&text=Dei+Gratia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

One thing to be wary of is whether your faith will still be there in 5, 10, or 20 years. Considering your username, and this *is* an assumption, but you may be 21 years old.

At 17 I was considering joining the priesthood.
    At 18 I felt I was quite religious and faithful.
    At 21 I wasn't attending mass
    At 24 I had myself defected from the Catholic Church

If I'd gotten a tat at 18 or 19, I'd regret it severely now. So have a think and maybe choose something that cannot change, instead of something so easily swayed (when truly questioned) as religious belief.

One thing to be wary of is whether your faith will still be there in 5, 10, or 20 years. Considering your username, and this *is* an assumption, but you may be 21 years old.

At 17 I was considering joining the priesthood.
    At 18 I felt I was quite religious and faithful.
    At 21 I wasn't attending mass
    At 24 I had myself defected from the Catholic Church

If I'd gotten a tat at 18 or 19, I'd regret it severely now. So have a think and maybe choose something that cannot change, instead of something so easily swayed (when truly questioned) as religious belief.

I'd agree with this.

By all means get something that reflects your faith, but consider something the meaning of which may grow and change as your faith does.

For example, I've always wanted a tattoo that basically says "Faith", even though I'm 100% atheist - what "faith" meant to me is steadfastness, perseverance and staying the course in the face of adversity, knowing that you'll get there in the end (haven't articulated very well but it's just an illustration of a point anyway so doesn't really matter).

Eventually, having thought about it for a long time I guess I was able to distil exactly what the real meaning of "faith" to me was, and I settled upon "Ngi ne themba", which is Zulu for "I have hope".

So, maybe think a bit longer about your phrase, I mean "Grace of God" as a phrase isn't particularly illuminating, maybe try to dig a bit deeper and find the real depth of meaning behind why you want that particular phrase, and you might find something that is a bit more robust if your thoughts about what a personal God represents to you as you grow and change over the years.

That being said, I have a couple of tattoos that don't mean a thing (script and otherwise), and I still like them as well, but if you're big into a meaningful tattoo, think about the phrase a lot IMO, especially since you've figured out the general idea of what you want now.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but imo I think Dei Gratia "the grace of god" is a fairly neutral phrase.I will always be thankful of my life and look up to "a" god or some higher being as Ive always felt everyone needs to have someone/something to hope and believe in.

Fair enough but imo I think Dei Gratia "the grace of god" is a fairly neutral phrase.I will always be thankful of my life and look up to "a" god or some higher being as Ive always felt everyone needs to have someone/something to hope and believe in.

Best of luck with it.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.
    Sound.

Advertisement