Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 German Infrared Systems

Options
  • 13-06-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Nightfighting Panthers in Action
    In summer 1944 the Panthers of 3.Kompanie, 24th Panzerregiment, 116th Panzerdivision, were equipped with UHU on the battle/excercise-area BERGEN, and actually trained the use of the night fighting concept SPERBER. Hitler planned the mission of this Kompanie to be during the Operation WACHT AM RHEIN (Battle of the Bulge) and actually some squads were transferred to the western front, but never saw action there.

D3BNCh.jpg
    1MAD9h.jpg
    lKnzkh.jpg

200mm IR searchlight and scope for driver mounted on Sd.Kfz. 251/20

WG6Nxh.jpg

3u9i9h.jpg

5NgCqh.jpg

"Vampir" ZG 1229 Infrared System

AXI18h.jpg
    s8J8jh.jpg
    uCxWsh.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There was also considerable development work on IR guided surface to air missiles, believe it or not.

http://www.1jma.dk/articles/1jmaluftwaffegroundweapons.htm

http://www.1jma.dk/articles/1jmaluftwaffelate.htm

Don't mean to hijack your thread but does anyone know what this is ?

I believe it could be some sort of radar/radio jamming/transmitting device ? ?

162887.JPG

162888.JPG

I found it in the photo album I am currently researching, of an SS Polizei regiment (the unit was SS Polizei Infantry Regiment 2, part of SS Polizei Division).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If it's not another IR light, my guess is it's a microphone as part of a counter-battery target acquisition system.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

Morlar

Sorry But I am no expert . If I come across anything I let you know, could it be some type of noise finding equipment .
    You have to say those Germans were light years ahead in some areas.

Good site on German ww2 radios
    http://www.laud.no/ww2/

Check out this current Portable short-range reconnaissance radar ,
    Bytxnh.jpg

If it's not another IR light, my guess is it's a microphone as part of a counter-battery target acquisition system.

NTM

I was thinking along the lines of a microphone . Its not an IR light that I have come across, all lights have seem to have glass. This item looks to have a mat finish. Like a 70's microphone if you took the top protection cover.
    A counter-battery target acquisition systems sounds good to me.

• Advertisement

I was thinking along the lines of a microphone . Its not an IR light that I have come across, all lights have seem to have glass. This item looks to have a mat finish. Like a 70's microphone if you took the top protection cover.
    A counter-battery target acquisition systems sounds good to me.

FYI I posted those pictures on another forum and was told (by a guy who wrote a highly regarded book on German ww2 field comms equipment) that it was a . . . . wait for it . . . . a spotlight !!

Morlar wrote: »
    FYI I posted those pictures on another forum and was told (by a guy who wrote a highly regarded book on German ww2 field comms equipment) that it was a . . . . wait for it . . . . a spotlight !!

Running on a 12v batteries ? He's good crack .

Came across this portable IR lamp
    TvtQhh.jpg

Advertisement