Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many points do you think you are going to get in the current Leaving Certificate?

• 13-06-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

How many points do you think you are going to get in the current Leaving Certificate?

How many points do you think you are going to get in the current Leaving Certificate? 73 votes

0-100
    0% 0 votes
    100-200
    5% 4 votes
    200-300
    2% 2 votes
    300-400
    5% 4 votes
    400-500
    34% 25 votes
    500-600
    52% 38 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm thinking about 400, which I would be delighted with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

The average is around 320 I think but i've a feeling the average will be at least 100 above that on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

NotExactly wrote: »
    The average is around 320 I think but i've a feeling the average will be at least 100 above that on boards.

Average is actually 230... Which says a lot about our nation's intelligence...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

HAVE to get aroud 460... I'd like to make another poll around results time to see what the average result of a boardsie is :P I'm sure it's a good bit more than average :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'll be disappointed if I'm not in the 500-600 bracket. Maybe took a slightly unexpected hit in maths but that just means I need to do as well as I can in history and french.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Need 480, hoping for over 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Fbjm wrote: »
    Average is actually 230... Which says a lot about our nation's intelligence...

Hate to break it to you but the Leaving Cert is not a measure of intelligence. It is a measure of how well you rote learn and how good your memory is.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

was aiming for 500, need about 480, probably will only get 440 though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I need 400 but English went way better than I thought it would. I planned to get a B3 but I think I did better than that. I still think I'm on track for an A in maths *fingers crossed* I just hope everything goes as well as it has for most subjects so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Around 450 with any luck. I need 440.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

AdamD wrote: »
    Need 480, hoping for over 500.

+1

480 is over 75% average, tis very achievable but the 500-club is where it's at :)

Maths 1 had me in doubt but paper 2 has upped my optimism.

For those with iOS Apple devices,

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/calculator-for-leaving-certificate/id387155318?mt=8

here's a great free App that you can use to calculate your LC points on the day, it'll save you the calculator.

higgz wrote: »
    +1

480 is over 75% average, tis very achievable but the 500-club is where it's at :)

Maths 1 had me in doubt but paper 2 has upped my optimism.

500 sounds so much better :cool:

What course you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

AdamD wrote: »
    500 sounds so much better :cool:

What course you going for?

BESS is no.1 (475) but it's been a back and forth between that and MSISS (380) for some time now. Thinking of doing a change of mind before the end of the month.

BESS is no.1 (475) but it's been a back and forth between that and MSISS (380) for some time now. Thinking of doing a change of mind before the end of the month.

Ive BESS then Commerce, I went to the MSISS lecture and didnt find it appealing at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Hoping for 440... Need 370. (Give or take 20 points so 400 should be fine)

Just need to pass that HL Maths! Only worry!

HxGH wrote: »
    Hoping for 440... Need 370. (Give or take 20 points so 400 should be fine)

Just need to pass that HL Maths! Only worry!
    What course are you applying for as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

My first choice was 515 last year, so anything upwards of 520. Need 400 minimum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

hoping for 470, maybe a bit more, need 445, but expecting it to rise, to 470-500 would be goood! Not even aiming for anything higher than that at this stage, after all, its not about the points once you get enough for where you want to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I was hoping for 500! I'd say somewhere between 470-490 thanks to maths but I only need 440 so I shouldn't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Hate to break it to you but the Leaving Cert is not a measure of intelligence. It is a measure of how well you rote learn and how good your memory is.

only to a certain extent... if you're intelligent, you should still get 400+ without extracurricular study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

A girl I know who is doing medicine (got 600) said once you get your course nobody cares what points you got everyone just wants to know what course you're doing. :)

RHunce wrote: »
    A girl I know who is doing medicine (got 600) said once you get your course nobody cares what points you got everyone just wants to know what course you're doing. :)
    This is true, I have a friend and she says exactly the same thing. Always seems to get woos from other people too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    only to a certain extent.. if you're intelligent, you should still get 400+ without extracurricular study

Only to a full extent. Knowledge and memory don't equate to intelligence. That's why IQ tests where made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Well it is to an extent a measure of intelligence as people with high IQs generally do well in the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Only to a full extent. Knowledge and memory don't equate to intelligence. That's why IQ tests where made.

lol. then please, oh all-knowing one, enlighten me as to what does equate to intelligence. because as you've defined it, we are all born with a level of intelligence that can't be changed

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/calculator-for-leaving-certificate/id387155318?mt=8

here's a great free App that you can use to calculate your LC points on the day, it'll save you the calculator.

Great app but I end up taking out my phone and entering in my predicted grades every two minutes which is a distraction :D they also seem to be dropping by about 5 points every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

RMD wrote: »
    Well it is to an extent a measure of intelligence as people with high IQs generally do well in the Leaving.

The amount of people I went to school with who did well in the leaving certificate and ended up in boring, paper pushing jobs kind of makes the whole intelligence argument irrelevant. I hope you all get what you want but remember by the time you get to your early twenties and you are waiting in line either for your dole or to get on a plane out of here, it will mean f**k all to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I had planned to count Maths but not anymore..
    Around the 505 mark.

You can become good at doing IQ tests if you keep practicing them which doesn't mean you're intelligent. You can become good at almost anything with practice e.g you can do awful in a HPAT test which should mean you're unsuitable to become a doctor but you can repeat it and do HPAT prep courses and keep practicing and do good in the HPAT. People even say that people aren't born with natural talents e.g Messi or Michael Jordan, that they became that good from practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    lol. then please, oh all-knowing one, enlighten me as to what does equate to intelligence. because as you've defined it, we are all born with a level of intelligence that can't be changed

Didn't Einstein or Bill Gates or one of those lads do rubbish in school? The level of intelligence you have can be developed, but only to a certain extent. Knowledge is not intelligence - that comes from experience. Ask Wikipedia! It's seriously interesting!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement