Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many points do you think you are going to get in the current Leaving Certificate?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    lol. then please, oh all-knowing one, enlighten me as to what does equate to intelligence. because as you've defined it, we are all born with a level of intelligence that can't be changed

Firstly, your level of intelligence (IQ) DOES change as you age. I never said we are born with a level of intelligence that can't be changed.

Intelligence is logical reasoning and is, to an extent, linked to mathematical reasoning (the only Leaving Cert subject that could be argued is based on intelligence).

Knowledge is knowing the capital cities of all countries, being able to state the major Irish rivers in order of length etc. You don't need to be intelligent to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

I'd love to get around the 400 mark :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Didn't Einstein or Bill Gates or one of those lads do rubbish in school? The level of intelligence you have can be developed, but only to a certain extent. Knowledge is not intelligence - that comes from experience. Ask Wikipedia! It's seriously interesting!
    pretty sure that's a myth regarding einstein.
    Firstly, your level of intelligence (IQ) DOES change as you age. I never said we are born with a level of intelligence that can't be changed.

Intelligence is logical reasoning and is, to an extent, linked to mathematical reasoning (the only Leaving Cert subject that could be argued is based on intelligence).

Knowledge is knowing the capital cities of all countries, being able to state the major Irish rivers in order of length etc. You don't need to be intelligent to know.
    you don't need to be "intelligent" to do anything that has been done before

that fact is, if you are intelligent, there is no reason you wouldn't do well in the leaving cert. memory and intelligence definitely are linked, i dont see how you could argue that - and i dont mean rote learning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

Hate to break it to you but the Leaving Cert is not a measure of intelligence. It is a measure of how well you rote learn and how good your memory is.

Totally agree- it's a measure of how well you can memorise words and spit them back out.
    well even though i got 9As in my junior cert i'm thinking i'll be lucky to get 500, then again my subject choices were terrible. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Dbstf wrote: »
    How many points do you think you are going to get in the current Leaving Certificate?

This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen. We're only, what, 4 days into the leaving cert. At most some people may have done 5 subjects but most haven't completed 3. How can you speculate the amount of points your going to get if you haven't even done the exams yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

that fact is, if you are intelligent, there is no reason you wouldn't do well in the leaving cert. memory and intelligence definitely are linked, i dont see how you could argue that - and i dont mean rote learning

Yes, there are a few reasons why you wouldn't do well. If you sleep in class/don't pay attention all day everyday, if you don't open a book for the two years & if you're lazy and submit a crap projects.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

There are different forms of intelligence, and people are talented at different things. Just because you can do applied physics doesn't make you any more intelligent than an artist, michelangelo was a genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

As was Da Vinci...

What did Michelangelo do besides art, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Didn't Einstein or Bill Gates or one of those lads do rubbish in school?
    Einstein was a top student and Bill Gates went to Harvard (But dropped out).

Hardly rubbish...

NotExactly wrote: »
    Yes, there are a few reasons why you wouldn't do well. If you sleep in class/don't pay attention all day everyday, if you don't open a book for the two years & if you're lazy and submit a crap projects.:rolleyes:

nice response

except that you're probably not very intelligent if you do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

once I get into the triple figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

irish_man wrote: »
    This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen.
    QFT.
    We even have people claiming IQ is accurate for displaying anything other than how well you did in an IQ test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Einstein was a top student and Bill Gates went to Harvard (But dropped out).

Hardly rubbish...

Okay. I wasn't sure about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

nice response

except that you're probably not very intelligent if you do that
    A friend of mine won the Young Scientist and slept in all her classes aside from English. She's incredibly intelligent and doesn't need to listen. Sensible? Maybe not. Something that says something of her scientifically, mathematically and logically orientated mind? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Lux23 wrote: »
    The amount of people I went to school with who did well in the leaving certificate and ended up in boring, paper pushing jobs kind of makes the whole intelligence argument irrelevant. I hope you all get what you want but remember by the time you get to your early twenties and you are waiting in line either for your dole or to get on a plane out of here, it will mean f**k all to you.

Well see that's wrong in many ways. A good degree combined with post-graduate qualifications, combined with a strong work ethic and you can achieve just about anything.

People who end up in boring desk jobs generally do so because they either don't have the drive or balls to succeed. If a person genuinely wants to succeed, they'll find some way of doing so instead of working a 9-5 job for shíte wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I'm pretty sure the point that was being made originally was that intelligent people who work hard will do better than less intelligent people who work the same amount. A more than fair assumption IMO. People need to get off their high horses.

mpdg wrote: »
    A friend of mine won the Young Scientist and slept in all her classes aside from English. She's incredibly intelligent and doesn't need to listen. Sensible? Maybe not. Something that says something of her scientifically, mathematically and logically orientated mind? No.

well you friend may be a medical marvel....

do you honestly believe that? she was either

1. not sleeping - what kind of sh*tty school would allow her to do that?
    2. doing the work on her own time

no way you can be that naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

._. wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the point that was being made originally was that intelligent people who work hard will do better than less intelligent people who work the same amount. A more than fair assumption IMO. People need to get off their high horses.

No. The point was as follows:
    only to a certain extent... if you're intelligent, you should still get 400+ without extracurricular study

Ie. Intelligent people will do well in the Leaving Cert without working hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Would you not be better off going and doing a bit of work, and seeing if you can push those points up a bit?

Seriously, what is the value in threads like this?

What other people may get, or think they may get, doesn't matter.

Concentrate on doing the best you can yourself, and be proud of yourself for doing that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement