Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Essay - not that relevant to title - 0 points?

• 13-06-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just asking on behalf of my girlfriend. She says her essay was not that tied in with the title. It tied in a little bit but not in a really direct manner. She didn't hammer home the point.

She misunderstood the title really.

She says the Irish in it and grammar etc. was great.

Will she still get points or do they just give her zero?

Thanks y'all.

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

I think it depends how far from the title she strayed..? If it was completely nothing to do with the title theyve given then yes, she'd get 0 marks. But if its relatively close (AFAIK) then she'll just lose some marks, but make up marks for the grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

All my friends have been saying that 20% goes for sticking to the question and 80% of the marks goes for your Irish ... Hopefully that's ok for you GF :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

More details required to say really... It depends on the judgment of the examiner to a certain extent, but if it's blatantly obvious that its not related at all she *might* get 'gan chiall'.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Thanks bros.

It was under the ceannairi, heads of state title.

She wrote about poverty, drugs and different social problems and how they're interrelated.

At the end she was it was all the government's fault.

That's a pretty crude summary of what she wrote from my perspective at least.

Just trying to buck up her spirits a little. From what she told me, they're bound to give her some points but I'm not 100% in the know.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

see, this is the problem with just learning off essays, and not really having a clue what you're talking about...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I know a couple people who mixed up the todhchai (future) with toghchan (election)... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i did the essay about the farmer saying dont go acroos the fields.. so my story was i went to the village, walked home through the fields, fell broke my leg in 2 places and went to the hospital. it was just over a page and a half and a good mix of irish and good enough grammer i think. is that related to the title??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

see, this is the problem with just learning off essays, and not really having a clue what you're talking about...

I've never really understood why people do it. I mean learning off an essay is the most pointless exercise around. There are infinite possibilities that can come up so the chances that you can correctly use that essay you've just learnt off are slim to none. It's much simpler and far more useful to get the basics of the language down and then you can write a simple but correct essay about anything that comes up.

Back on topic: Have a look at this. It's last year's marking scheme. If you look at page 3, you'll see that 20% of the marks are awarded for "manipulation of the topic" and 80% is awarded for the Irish used in the essay. So she should be fine. She's not even completely off topic anyway so I wouldn't write that whole 20% off at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Hi,

Just asking on behalf of my girlfriend. She says her essay was not that tied in with the title. It tied in a little bit but not in a really direct manner. She didn't hammer home the point.

She says the Irish in it and grammar etc. was great.

Will she still get points or do they just give her zero?

Thanks y'all.

Alan

If the essay is off the wall and in no way relevent you get 0 but you say that it tied in a little bit and the examiner will understand they got the title but just went off. therefore she will lose marks from the 20 for ábhar but she shouldnt be deducted from the 80 for Cruinneas Gaeilge. Hope this keeps her spirits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

During the Aural today my son said they had difficulty with the cd player and had to restart it about 4 times because they couldn't hear it properly. He usually does well in this section but couldn't get his head in gear with all the messing with the cd. At the end they were given extra time and asked if they were happy with it and most people said they were. I was thinking of complaining to the school tomorrow but wonder if it will make any difference or is it over and done with now - would they possibly let them do this section again tomorrow (I'm sure they must have an alternative aural cd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Don't jump to conclusions that she just plonked down a learned off essay.

The OP said:

kildaremum wrote: »
    I was thinking of complaining to the school tomorrow but wonder if it will make any difference or is it over and done with now - would they possibly let them do this section again tomorrow (I'm sure they must have an alternative aural cd.

Sorry to say this but i'd say there's no chance of doing the section again tomorrow because he could get all the answers off boards for example and then put them down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kildaremum wrote: »
    During the Aural today my son said they had difficulty with the cd player and had to restart it about 4 times because they couldn't hear it properly. He usually does well in this section but couldn't get his head in gear with all the messing with the cd. At the end they were given extra time and asked if they were happy with it and most people said they were. I was thinking of complaining to the school tomorrow but wonder if it will make any difference or is it over and done with now - would they possibly let them do this section again tomorrow (I'm sure they must have an alternative aural cd.

The problems with the player will have been noted in the supervisor's report.

spurious wrote: »
    The problems with the player will have been noted in the supervisor's report.

Could their papers be marked easier as a result of the dodgy tape? Or what's the purpose of noting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Thanks lads and ladies for all the replies. She's still down as f*ck but will get better after tomorrow I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

My teacher said that your standard of Irish counts for 80%
    Relevance is 20%
    However, complete deviation from the topic all together will give you 0. As they assume you didn't have the level of Irish to comprehend the question asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

PJelly wrote: »
    My teacher said that your standard of Irish counts for 80%
    Relevance is 20%
    However, complete deviation from the topic all together will give you 0. As they assume you didn't have the level of Irish to comprehend the question asked.

I think though that going by what the OP has told us, even the cruelest of examiners couldn't say that it was completely unrelated to the topic in question. From what I understand, most of the essay was off-topic, but she looped it back in the end. So she effectively saved herself by doing this.

Advertisement