Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some new bits for C+C

• 13-06-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Did a shoot with a hip hop kid in my city the other day. he has a very unique style to his music and his look. These are 3 shots Im submitting to him. Sur3e what do you think anyway?

My own thoughts, yes that graffiti should look that saturated, its powerful enough when you there but its under a bridge a lot of the colour dies in a lens. Plus it's beautiful and I really wanted it to explode! Secondly I didnt pick the clothes or anything this was all his style and idea. We were also on a very busy road. I could only get 1 shot off at a time before the 3 of us would have to dart off the road again for fear of death!

Anyway hit me with it, be kind, I bruise easily :P

darren_scott_by_sic_side_fx-d3it2vr.jpg

darren_scott_by_sic_side_fx-d3iquhi.jpg

darren_scott_by_sic_side_fx-d3io0mv.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Overall a thumbs up, think you did a good job capturing his personality. 1st shot is my fave, other two are good also. For my the second shot I would have him facing into the light because I think the shadow on the right hand side of his face is a bit heavy, eye's are all important! The pose for the third is a bit silly and akward but that's not really your fault. Considering the circumstances you did well, I'm sure he'll be happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

First one for me too. Love the compo, PP and his expression...the other two don't do too much for me, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Thanks chaps! It's interesting, I've posted these on 6 other forums Im part of and everyone has given a different response. Really shows the benefit of getting C+C from different communities. The least favourite overall is actually the 1st one believe it or not so it's really interesting to see it taking the preference here with no such desire given to the other two, which themselves have been proffered by the artist himself,outright rejecting to use the 1st one. Maybe it's just a bit typical or traditional I dunno. The hip hop and alternative types much prefer the others because of the goofyness perhaps and find the top one a bit doughy eyed and typically charming.

Thanks chaps! It's interesting, I've posted these on 6 other forums Im part of and everyone has given a different response. Really shows the benefit of getting C+C from different communities. The least favourite overall is actually the 1st one believe it or not so it's really interesting to see it taking the preference here with no such desire given to the other two, which themselves have been proffered by the artist himself,outright rejecting to use the 1st one. Maybe it's just a bit typical or traditional I dunno. The hip hop and alternative types much prefer the others because of the goofyness perhaps and find the top one a bit doughy eyed and typically charming.

Interesting indeed.. were these other fourms photography based? For me the second two are more "typical or traditional", as in trendy looking hip hop artist posing against urban setting with un-concerned look! The 1st is just more.. honest, simple and direct. You sense its the real fella, and not just an image that he wants to project. That's the reason I like it anyhow.

Saying that a big (and not necessarily negative) part of hip-hop culture is projecting an image, ever since the days of Afrika Bambaataa the various aspects of hip-hop have had elements of battling, showing how your better than the next guy etc. So you have to take that into consideration aswell. From the point of view of photography no 1 for me, but as a hip-hop fan (which I am also) I can see how 2 or 3 are people choice's.

At the end of the day all 3 are decent photos, the difference of opinion doesn't surprise me in the slightest. All depends on what angle your approaching it from.

Well imo the first one could be an indie band photoshoot or singer song writer. It's mushy and soft and a bit emo in some form or another. And the other two are hip hop or "street" hahaha. Personally I listen to death metal,black metal, doom, grindcore, that kind of thing. And most of that photography looks the same. Look angry or tough and stand with your arms crossed! I dont know what to do with him for the next excursion. I think the 1st one is a good photograph for what it is but I understand why he's not into it. I like it because it's a nice photo, he doesnt like it for that very reason. the sites were concept art/photography and fashion photography forums and one is kind of music based but not entirely. Photographers prefer the 1st one, everyone else seems to like the others. I'd love to crawl into someones head and see their initial though process hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

First one is a very good portrait.
    There might be potential to PP it to make it more acceptable to the artist.

I'd try to crop some of left-hand background and desaturate the colours and see how that looks.

Try a B/W with lots of contrast as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I dont think they work at all. They are far too clean and lack any atmosphere of anything hip hop related. They could be shots of anyone standing against a graffiti background in a black shirt and fake glasses.

I only know he's a hip hop artist from your dialogue, not from the images.

Just think of rock and roll images where they scream rock and roll without any text or dialogue. These images just don't do that for me at all in regards to hip hop. The 1st image looks likes its in a garden which doesnt scream hip hop/street/urban culture to me at all. The other 2 are poses against graf with some off camera lighting that far to harsh.

Rather than planning an "excursion", take time to spend time with him, see what he's about, personality traits and use that to you advantage, candids rather than posed and improvise and lose the off camera flash or at least rely on it less to make the image.

They just don't show musician/artist/hip hop to me at all.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! He's delighted with the ones he picked and we're going at it again soon. We only had one location and timeslot the last time and it was our first meet so next time will rule.

On a side note Peter can you point me to some hip hop photography that you do think "screams" hip hop? Just out of interest. iLL Psychz has a unique approach to his music and I'm likely to convince him that posing with money,guns,cars and bitches will be a good idea. I already have the location picked for at least one photo we'll be doing next and it'll be very street savvy so hopefully you'll get it then :)

Just read that last comment and figured I sound a bit snappy which I'm genuinely not being haha! I just want people to get it straight away, to look at a photo and think hip hop or that lifestyle, without gang sings or the aforementioned money and bitches or being topless with gang ink showing. Like if I look at a vast majority of hip hop photog it's all very similar if not unrecognisable as being a rapper(for instance everything i found of let's say eminem, none of the shots without a mic or on a stage make him look like a rapper,he just doesn't look that way,but then who does?). If it's not gangster it's skaterish. And he's neither of those things. He's very intelligent and nerdy in some ways. You may slag his glasses but he turned up with those because he wears them! The bow tie is his to and he will wear that stuff out because that's who he is! Rock is easy, long hair, tats, whiskey bottles, guitars and amps and drum kits, in a woods looking angry, graveyard etc. But iLL raps about politics the economy and wears bow ties. Like I say I have a better plan for next time anyway but I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

Did you use off camera flash for these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

i like the first shot but i find that there is too much shadow on his face in the other two shots also
    I just want people to get it straight away, to look at a photo and think hip hop or that lifestyle

i dont get that thought when i look at them and i have looked at them over and over to try and see it

Haha thanks puddles, can you have a look for something which to you feels hip hop straight away, but without being gangster!

And yeah mimm, like I said on your thread there, grab a cheap wireless trigger and a speedlite and your away. I actually had two speed it's but needed one to light the Graf in the back. We were inside a very very dark tunnel that day with little no ambient light bouncing in! I'd take it much better if I had another go, or if there wasnt on coming traffic every few seconds! :(

Did you have a softbox or anything on your speedlite? The lighting is a bit harsh.. that might be a major way to improve your next shoot. I appreciate the conditions you were working under ment everything was rushed for this one.

As far as the look goes if the artist is happy with them then you have done your job! To me when I think of intelligent conciseness hip-hop I think of someone like mos def. For me this image of him works.. simple, clean and not trying to hard.

mos-def.jpg

nice, I like that a lot! That's a great image, it's hard but still loose enough to have a vibe about it. I dont have a softbox right now just an umbrella but I can makeshift something for my speedlight and see what happens! Thanks for image and the c+c, ill repost my follow up images in this thread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For me the first image works as a portrait but has none of the Hip Hop feel at all. The other two don't work as they just feel awkward. The poses and the lighting all jar and the grafitti background is very cliche.

I think Pete has the right idea in moving away from the set shot and trying to get more candid shots which would give an insight into who he is. If he's not traditional then don't try to portray him with the normal things.

Yup, I think we established that alright. As before I'll post up follow up shots to this chap. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Hi there, here's my opinion. I havent read the other replies, so sorry if I repeat something already said

I appreciate the photos were taken without much preparation, but in the end that's the cause of most of the issues I see and comment on below.

The capture of the guy's face is good. How much did you shop his eye though? It looks a little unrealistic.

The background is off putting and takes away from the photo, rather than giving it any relation to the subject. Try cropping out about a 3rd of the shot from the left side, and see what you think.

Due to the high contrast, his hat is just black, and is also a little distracting. Not much can be done there really.

The subject of the photo is underexposed and the background is loud and, again, distracting.

It's difficult to see what he's wearing, I didn't really notice the bow tie at first.

His eyes look closed, and his facial expression doesn't really give off any hip-hop type attitude he might have been lookign for. He looks like a russian mafia hitman.

A nice bit light box is what you needed there. Keep one in your pocket always.. :D

Similar to above. Underexposed subject, graffiti a bit over saturated.

His face is mostly in shadow whereas that should be the focal point of the picture (look at his face in this one, and compare to your first shot)

I hope it doesn't sound too harsh. Something I have learnt that when taking shots without preparation (i.e. having time to pick clothes, lights, etc) you need to take a few minutes to survey the area and work with what you have.
    Put your camera down, and take a good look around with a photographer's eyes and an artist's eyes.

Look around for the places with the best light, with the best background, some interesting objects to incorporate into your shoot.

All totally valid points and match with own peevs with the set! I was supposed to go back out with him on saturday but I double booked myself to help another photographer with his lighting for the day :(

But thanks for all the feedback on these guys, I really hope the next lot will be a dramatic improvement over these, but we'll have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

nice shots. Do you have a flickr/500px/deviantart site pls? Tnx

Advertisement