Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanded Floor Stain Problem

• 13-06-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice here, I just sanded the sitting room floor, it had carpet on it, when I took it up there was (very) old dark varnish around the edges nothing in the center, after sanding the dark varnish off, the floor is two different colors! I might be wrong here but I think the varnish protected the floor from something in the carpet that has stained the floor (see attached picture).

Anyway I'm looking for a way to blend the floor color around the edge before I put a clear varnish on it, I'd be really greatful for any advice here as I wont be able to use the sitting room till I get this sorted.

Thanks

picture.php?albumid=1746&pictureid=9785

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The darker areas were more than likely protected from light and the lighter areas were exposed at some time. UV light lightens wood. Or it could be just everyday grime and dust captured under the carpet which has stained the wood.

There are only two options. You either sand back the dark area to the same tone as the lighter areas; or you stain the lighter areas to match the darker.

Staining could be very hit or miss, and you might end up with a 'tide mark' where the light and dark areas meet.

Sanding back the seems the safest option to me. You could try a little test sanding in some place out of view to see a) If it works b) How much you will need to remove. Chances are, the dark stuff hasn't penetrated very far in to the wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi Slowburner,

Thanks so much for the response, I did try to belt sand the darker parts but it didn't work, whatever has happened it's gone deep into the wood.

I've found some info on bleaching (below) just wonder if these ways are harmful to the wood in the long term.

I might end up staining the brighter bits in the end, as you said it's hit & miss but is probably the best option

Thanks again for the help

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/how-to-bleach-stains-on-wood-floors.shtml

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

So,
    1. sanding
    2. staining
    3. bleaching (never thought of that and know too little to offer advice)*
    4. ???

If the stain has gone deep, you could do more harm than good by heavy sanding.
    It's a tough one sorry I couldn't be more helpful - good luck and let us know how you get on :)

*a post in the woodcraft forum might be worthwhile for advice on bleaching wood.

Thanks Slowburner, I really appreciate the advice.

I'll post it in the woodcraft forum & see if anyone has any ideas, I'll post my results (good or bad) here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

We had the same issue, we gave up on the idea of varnishing and painted the floor boards.
    The paint to use is http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/diamond-hard-floor-paint

We used white, looks really nice, been on there for a year now and it doesnt chip or scratch

• Advertisement

Thanks thecelt, I only saw this after I used tea to even the bright bit out, I am using the diamond coat clear varnish after, its worked well in the other rooms.

There's still a bit of a tide mark but its a lot more noticeable in the picture than to the eye & hopefully the varnish will hide it even more.

Thanks to everyone for your help & comments, its really appreciated hopefully some day someone will find the prefect answer, as for now this will more than do!

picture.php?albumid=1746&pictureid=9906

Advertisement