Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unmountable Boot Volume

• 13-06-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

I know, another one of these BSOD threads...sorry

Got this old laptop from a friend to clean out (viruses and such) Kept freezing during normal window operations so I booted it in safe mood. Downloaded and ran anti-malwarebytes and it caught a good few.

Rebooted and now I keep getting the BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume.

I've found an xp disc and tried running recovery but the very second it starts windows winthin the recovery it crashes. I can't run safe mode either so I'm stuck!

Anything else I can do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

First step, back it up.
    If you can take the drive out and connect it to another pc via a caddy (maplins should have one for about 20 euro) and copy all files out.
    Once you have done this you are in a better position to try the various fixes without risking data loss.
    Tbh I would say your best bet would be a factory restore as it sounds like it got well hit with viruses so if it was me I wouldnt try repairing as there may be traces of those viruses remaining.
    Google laptop model and factory restore and you should find the key combination required to access the restore feature.
    But be sure to backup first.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Thanks for your reply. I actual have one of those caddys so will do that in the morning. I've downloaded a mint livecd also just to see can I also do it that way.

Once I get all the photos off it I be happy. I hate when you get someone's laptop to fix and you then take the responsibility for all their private data!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

I had to repair this same symptom recently. I used a recovery CD and got to a dos prompt to issue the command 'chkdsk c:/r'. This repaired the disk and then the laptop booted fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

degsie wrote: »
    I had to repair this same symptom recently. I used a recovery CD and got to a dos prompt to issue the command 'chkdsk c:/r'. This repaired the disk and then the laptop booted fine.

I actually didn't have the right caddy (this hdd was sata) so I got Hiren's BootCD but struggled with all the options. I went into miniXP alright but it wouldn't open the c: drive for me.

I downloaded and burnt Recovery Console to a cd and now running chkdsk /r and fixbboot. Hopefully this will sort it out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Hi AntiRip,

Check out MS KB Article 555302 in relation to repairing the boot sector.

On another experimental note, if you do manage to get access to the data, look for the following file: C:\Windows\Memory.dmp

If you can locate that, get it across to WinDBG and run a !analyze -v to see what was going on in the stack prior to the crash. This will most likely point to a .SYS file.

Further info on crash dump analysis at MS KB Article 315263

Best of luck with it!

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement