Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Business HL - Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (One thread only please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

Failed the mocks....and im crap business, but the was lovely...even thou i fcked up my break even ... and I'm pretty sure Maslow's theory is the hierarchy of needs... hope so :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JReilly

Decent paper. The ABQ was grand but I didn't refer to the text in all of my answers because the questions didn't ask me to make reference. I did quote in most answers but not in all. Would I have lost many marks for that? :/

Also, what did ye write down for (A) (ii) regarding the benefits of planning? I brought up the business plan and how planning realistic targets can help you achieve goals. I hope that was enough. Dx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Maslow's theory of motivation WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible tactic just to throw people off.

Do you mean that it would throw people off cause they'd think of McGregor when they read "theory of motivation"? I wrote about the hierarchy... Ah hope I wasn't wrong now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

JReilly wrote: »
    Decent paper. The ABQ was grand but I didn't refer to the text in all of my answers because the questions didn't ask me to make reference. I did quote in most answers but not in all. Would I have lost many marks for that? :/

Also, what did ye write down for (A) (ii) regarding the benefits of planning? I brought up the business plan and how planning realistic targets can help you achieve goals. I hope that was enough. Dx

You should really have quoted in all of them but I'd say it's okay, I just am a huge quote fan for every subject.

I said future direction and anticipate problems, could have wrote another paragraph but I've forgotten. I didn't get that much down for desk and field research, wrote about 3/4 of a page for each but with good points but it was a 30mk question if I remember right.. Hope it was enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

If it's about Maslow it can only be about his heirachy of needs, it's down as a motivational theory in unit 3, which is probably why it was worded like that. I wouldn't worry!
    Struggled for time but got it all finished, easiest ABQ I'd seen in a long time, thought it was a fair paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Shouldn't matter. They asked to define Market Research in one. No example needed there. How many examples did you give?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I thought it went ok I liked the ABQ. I spent like 40mins on it I think got about a 1/2 on each question. Then the rest of my answers forgot a few things had to waffle through it. I did Q1 , 5,6,7 I think. I did the question on maslows need then forgot what two of the needs were. I have a feeling I did ok. Just blanked out on some of them completely forgot. If only my teacher actually went through the paper with us

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

So did anyone else do the ordinary? I was doig higher originally but dropped this morning, I couldn't beleve how easy it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm a bit confused. I came out of the exam and said ''Someone please tell me it was okay to write in bullet points'' because I did that for the last ones when I was running out of time and two people replied with ''You're supposed to write in bullet points.''

Did I do the rest wrong or what? :confused:

Gav77 wrote: »
    Absolutley gutted, made a complete mess of it:(spent ages on the ABQ like an IDIOT!! Then when it came to the long questions, even when i knew the answer i didnt have time so just wrote silly short answers:mad:

The same thing happend to me I was on the ABQ an hour then had to rush through the rest and ended up writing a few waffley answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

nanor92 wrote: »
    So you think people being able to write fast is more important than having a good concept a subject? Be it business or history... I just don't think it's the right way of examining people.

Yes, I can't write fast, and I know I'm moaning, but I think I can get away with it now for a while to vent off some steam!:mad: sorry to anyone who finds it annoying.

Its not a test of that though, unless you write incredibly slowly, or have to think for ages before you begin your answer, you should be able to finish that exam.

amortentia wrote: »
    You should really have quoted in all of them but I'd say it's okay, I just am a huge quote fan for every subject.

I said future direction and anticipate problems, could have wrote another paragraph but I've forgotten. I didn't get that much down for desk and field research, wrote about 3/4 of a page for each but with good points but it was a 30mk question if I remember right.. Hope it was enough?

Most 20mk questions require 3/4-a full page so a page and a half is grand for a 30mk question.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

happy enough with the paper, would have probably liked to have done better but i'm a slow writer and just ran out of time.
    short questions were lovely i thought.
    the way they phrased some things was kind of annoying though.
    i really effed up my break even point though which i'm a bit annoyed about but sure can't be helped now!
    soooooooooo glad its over now though i just feel a bid sigh of relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Was rushing at the end and completely screwed up the breakeven chart. Had to try scratch out the lines and draw over them in red pen..I got the right format the second time round, but I might lose marks for the crappy presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

flyaway. wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. I came out of the exam and said ''Someone please tell me it was okay to write in bullet points'' because I did that for the last ones when I was running out of time and two people replied with ''You're supposed to write in bullet points.''

Did I do the rest wrong or what? :confused:

Depends how you did it. I think you're meant to do it like each bullet point has a heading and a description.
    As long as you weren't writing big essays it should be ok.

I assume by bullet points you didn't go into any detail just gave the main gist? That's the best thing to do when running out of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Nice paper. Horrific amount of writing. I think my shoulder is about to shatter. Timed it well enough, but still. Ow.

Shouldn't matter. They asked to define Market Research in one. No example needed there. How many examples did you give?

Can't remember. I have examples for most of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Maybe I'm wrong but was there anything about communication on it?

Don't remember seeing any except the short q on meetings.. Surprised there was no letter or report!

Ok paper.. But you can't really tell with business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ciff

For the Maslow question, you just write about the hieracrchy of needs don;'t you?

Maybe I'm wrong but was there anything about communication on it?

No, I don't think so. I did refer to communication in a few bits of the exam though, particularly with motivation and getting feedback for market research.

• Advertisement

I think I did okay in the exam. I state explain example for most answers then added the evaluation on some of them. For the long question were you meant to provide your own example? I don't think I put in examples?
    I would have done better if I had a proper business teacher my teacher just read the book to us and didn't go through the exam papers.

I think I did okay in the exam. I state explain example for most answers then added the evaluation on some of them. For the long question were you meant to provide your own example? I don't think I put in examples?

Questions that had "Illustrate" in it required at least one example. If you don't have any then you might lose a few marks but nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Don't remember seeing any except the short q on meetings.. Surprised there was no letter or report!

No accounting question either! They left out loads of the course, more than usual I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fred09

Questions that had "Illustrate" in it required at least one example. If you don't have any then you might lose a few marks but nothing too serious.

was happy with the paper,messed up non legislative disputes but happy with everything else.....pretty fair......i timed it well but rushed it towards the end but 3 hours isnt enough.....3 hours 20 would be much better so you can get ur head around the questions
    btw,illustrate means example and normally a diagram aka draw the maslow hierarchy of needs but its not needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nanor92

AdamD wrote: »
    Its not a test of that though, unless you write incredibly slowly, or have to think for ages before you begin your answer, you should be able to finish that exam.

It is for me, and pretty much all my class said the same and there's quite a few people on here who said they struggled with time. Technically I did finish the paper but it wasn't as good as it could have been. I dunno maybe I'm just being a bit of c*nt about it!:o but I think that if a lot of people are having difficulty with time then it should be taken into consideration.

After all it's business we're being tested on.

Rant over.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fitz1011

Do you really have to use bulletpoints i did it for some Q's but when i was rushing i didnt bother will i lose marks??frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daex

as far as business goes, that was a dream! :)
    I think I might've messed up the last question because of rushing,but other than that there was only a part of a question I couldn't answer.
    delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Question 4 was amazing.

Never thought i would do a question 1 in my life but it was far nicer than my usual questions 2 and 3.

ABQ was nice, wasn't sure on marking of HR manager 5x6 OR 6x5 so did 7 points to cover me regardless is ones not correct.

Did 1,3,4,5 and 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daex

fitz1011 wrote: »
    Do you really have to use bulletpoints i did it for some Q's but when i was rushing i didnt bother will i lose marks??frown.gif

think the correcters prefer it because it's much easier to correct because of the marking scheme.plus they're more likely to go through it and try give you if you're one percent of the next grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

I found one of the questions in the ABQ difficult when it asked to evaluate cos usually they're looking for disadvantages there but I couldn't pick out any?! :\ And I did Maslow right but I forget to ****ing name the theory!! They're only two things I've realised but there could be a million more...ahh :( Timing was fairly perfect for me thank God.

Advertisement