Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Business HL - Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (One thread only please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

You don't have to make bullet points, but anything to help your examiner. Today i did my ABQ quotes from the text in red. I did A B C parts on different pages and if i went one line into it explaining a b part i still took a new page for a C.
    I've also only been writing on the right hand side of the page. So skipping every left page due to my pen. Really took it's told in Business and when i was getting more paper i just said save yourself the hassle and leave 4 extras

The idea of bullet points is that it is laid out like.
    • Point 1 - STATED. EXPLAIN. RELATED.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

Well I wrote like a lunatic and still didn't finish it. The superintendent said I was going like the clappers.

I did not like the question on the unemployment though. It was a bit too vague, like they were trying to shoehorn something topical into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 obamaosama

SD Timeout you did 5 long questions now theres a fast writer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

No accounting question either! They left out loads of the course, more than usual I think.

OMG!! I just realised I missed the last question! I was wondering why everyone was taking about Break-Even Charts! That was my best question!
    Did anyone else miss the last question?! There was a big gap after Q6 so I assumed that was it. In the stress of the exam I didn't think that there was meant to be 7 questions :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

OMG!! I just realised I missed the last question! I was wondering why everyone was taking about Break-Even Charts! That was my best question!
    Did anyone else miss the last question?! There was a big gap after Q6 so I assumed that was it. In the stress of the exam I didn't think that there was meant to be 7 questions :(

Ha, yeah, I missed it too. Literally didn't see it until about 30 seconds before I handed my paper up! I don't know, I just never thought about there being one over the page and I was rushing and yeah. :confused:

Oh well, can't do anything about it now!

• Advertisement

flyaway. wrote: »
    Ha, yeah, I missed it too. Literally didn't see it until about 30 seconds before I handed my paper up! I don't know, I just never thought about there being one over the page and I was rushing and yeah. :confused:

They should've made it a bit clearer though.. I had to choose a bad question because I didn't see it. I know I could've gotten full marks on it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I really hoped a question on net profit , gross profit , acid test ratio or a cash flow would come up.
    I learnt off all the formulas today for it. I didn't know how to do the one that came up in the short questions. Never practised them as I didn't know how an my teacher wasn't much help didn't explain a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dan1001

They should've made it a bit clearer though.. I had to choose a bad question because I didn't see it. I know I could've gotten full marks on it too!

There's always been 7 long questions in the Business paper..they can't really make it much clearer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

I'm not being a pr*ck or anything but you cant blame the SEC for you missing a question, most people have been doing exam papers for 6 months at the least, people should be well aware there are 7 questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

sarah. wrote: »
    And I did Maslow right but I forget to ****ing name the theory!! They're only two things I've realised but there could be a million more...ahh :(

what do you mean by naming the theory? was it not given in the question?

Yup missed the last question.
    I came out and screamed about the theory-ness of the paper and everyone was like - THERE WAS ANOTHER QUESTION ON THE BACK! lmfao!

I just finished it in time and we got like 5mins extra.

can anyone say they got these for the short questions (they were so long and confusing for short questions i think) bluff nearly everyone of them!

ROCE ; 29.5%
    True,false,false,true,true
    20bn (surplus) and 15bn (surplus)

and when they asked for a "common" general meeting does that mean an EGM "extraordinary" general meeting was wrong. i copped that but still put down EGM. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

I didn't name the theory either?! :rolleyes:
    Seen as it was given in the question i didnt .. :rolleyes:

Dan1001 wrote: »
    There's always been 7 long questions in the Business paper..they can't really make it much clearer..

They can, it's different when you're actually doing the exam - you're under stress and there is barely time to think - you have to choose your questions as fast as possible. There was a big gap at the end of Q6 and no "PTO for last question". Lots of people made the mistake even though they were familiar with the papers. It should be user-friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JReilly

danoboy254 wrote: »

I came out and screamed about the theory-ness of the paper and everyone was like - THERE WAS ANOTHER QUESTION ON THE BACK! lmfao!

can anyone say they got these for the short questions (they were so long and confusing for short questions i think) bluff nearly everyone of them!

ROCE ; 29.5%

and when they asked for a "common" general meeting does that mean an EGM "extraordinary" general meeting was wrong. i copped that but still put down EGM. :confused:

EGM should be right. I put that down alongside AGM.

Crap, I missed the 7th question too. :/ What was it about?

JReilly wrote: »
    EGM should be right. I put that down alongside AGM.

thanks - how about those numerical answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

sarah. wrote: »
    I found one of the questions in the ABQ difficult when it asked to evaluate cos usually they're looking for disadvantages there but I couldn't pick out any?! :\

usually whatever you have to evaluate has disadvantages in the ABQ, but the HRM in the one today was pretty close to a perfect HRM. evaluate means give your opinion on it. i just went through functions of HRM's (recruitment and selection, performance appraisal, manpower planning etc.) gave examples from the ABQ and then said what i thought of it and why

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

ROCE ; 29.5%

Yeah I got those answers

thanks - how about those numerical answers?

Which numerical question?

Also did anyone here do the Long Q7, and if so what was on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think those are wrong. I got True, False, True, True, False. Just looked on examinations.ie and am pretty happy with my answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

I said false for the last one, you could argue that with an increase in strength of the euro, americans will buy less which is bad for the irish exporters! It will be interesting to see how they mark that one.

For the two meetings I said AGM and EGM?

AdamD wrote: »
    I think those are wrong. I got True, False, True, True, False. Just looked on examinations.ie and am pretty happy with my answers.

I got the same, except the last one for me was true. :/

• Advertisement

right so - thanks people

a parting word - BEST ABQ EVER - it could have been so much worse!

I got the same, except the last one for me was true. :/

Most definitively false. It would make exports more expensive for people in the US to buy from us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

aw here, i cant remember what half my answers were.

Did anyone else find it impossible to fit the short questions into the space provided??

Yeah was really annoying having to write so small and still not getting everything in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Did you have to say that there was disadvantages in the ABQ. I pretty much gave my opinion saying it was a good thing what they were doing. Didn't see any disadvantages in the ABQ , an gave my opinion as to why I thought it was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Which numerical question?

Also did anyone here do the Long Q7, and if so what was on it?

a Discuss two possible challenges facing a new business 10 marks

b i) Draw and label a diagram of the product lifecycle.

ii) Explain how a business could extend it 25 marks

c) Break even chart 25 marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Did you have to say that there was disadvantages in the ABQ. I pretty much gave my opinion saying it was a good thing what they were doing. Didn't see any disadvantages in the ABQ , an gave my opinion as to why I thought it was good.

An evaluation is entirely your opinion. As long as you back it up substantially, you'll get your marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

AdamD wrote: »
    Most definitively false. It would make exports more expensive for people in the US to buy from us.
    Yeah, yours are definitely right, I checked with my business teacher after the exam...

Also, I know this is so stupid but in my haste to do my questions, I didnt even realise I hadnt seen a question 7.. BECs are my best topic and I knew both the other q's aswell... soo annoyed at my stupidity!

I wouldn't be too annoyed, breakeven chart was only 20 marks and questions 4/5/6 were all fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

flyaway. wrote: »

Oops guys sorry didnt see these before!

Advertisement