Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing notes to examiners - completely frowned upon?

• 13-06-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I got home from my Irish Paper I this evening and something has really been irritating me. In the second comprehension, the one with Mary Robinson, I stupidly confused the verbs 'to kill' and 'to live.'

For question 4 (b) - the one asking how did she show her independence as Commisioner - when I was changing around the answer for her criticising the death penalty I wrote 'na tíortha a mhaireann a gciontóirí' instead of 'na tíortha a mharaíonn a gciontóirí.' Now it's obviously just a small mistake (if one that made the sentence entirely nonsensical) and it's been bothering me. Is it completely ludicrous to consider writing a note to the examiner in my paper tomorrow in which I apologise for the mistake (I'd write it in Irish, obviously.)

It's probably a completely crazy idea and maybe it's just exam stress talking, I just wanted some opinions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Are paper one and two not corrected by different people?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

I don't think so, no...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    Are paper one and two not corrected by different people?

Yes they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't write any notes. The examiner has too many papers to correct to lose any sleep over your minor mistake. You made a spelling mistake. It's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I thought different people corrected the two papers :confused:

I left an apology note in Maths paper 2 today because I turned my graph paper sideways to to a better graph. It probably wasn't needed but it was one of those things that makes sense in an exam :o

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Don't write any notes. The examiner has too many papers to correct to lose any sleep over your minor mistake. You made a spelling mistake. It's not the end of the world.

Ok, fair enough. I think I just needed someone 'official' to convince me that it was a stupid idea. I'll be able to forget about it now and study for tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity though, can someone confirm whether or not they're corrected by different people? I was always told that it was the same person - so that if you're in anyway borderline, they'll either mark down or mark up to discourage rechecks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok, fair enough. I think I just needed someone 'official' to convince me that it was a stupid idea. I'll be able to forget about it now and study for tomorrow.
    It's a stupid idea!! :p:D

(Not being rude, just using your own words! ;))

It's a stupid idea!! :p:D

(Not being rude, just using your own words! ;))

Era it's fair enough, my mam, dad, sisters and best friend told me as much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I would avoid it. Speaking from experience, any "notes" written in the papers would tend to just make me focus more on whatever error was made, whereas otherwise it would seem largely unimportant.

One time I was with a group of people blind-marking papers (everyone is given a photocopy of the answer, grades it independently, and then everyone's grades are compared - it's mostly there to ensure consistency between different markers), and the person leading the group had blocked over a 'note' from the student at the end of the answer, but only for half the photocopies. The half of us who did have the apologetic note gave between 5 and 8% less for the response than those who had just been given the answer itself.

In any case, it's probably very likely they'll be graded by different people. I know it's annoying to make mistakes that you feel are silly, but it's not going to make or break your LC, so all you can do is move on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

are paper one and paper 2 corrected by different people? i am almost positive the last time I was at my aunts house when she was correcting she had paper 1/paper 2 and tape for everybody? and from checking my own paper a few years ago they looked the exam same way like done by the same person? I might be wrong tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Era it's fair enough, my mam, dad, sisters and best friend told me as much :P

All that over one word! :L

All that over one word! :L

I know :P I'm sure I made far greater mistakes that that, it was just that moment of realisation - I got very emotional :o...exams turn us into crazy people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daex

are paper one and paper 2 corrected by different people? i am almost positive the last time I was at my aunts house when she was correcting she had paper 1/paper 2 and tape for everybody? and from checking my own paper a few years ago they looked the exam same way like done by the same person? I might be wrong tho?
    It's the same one,for english anyway. 'cause I thought I put the wrong exam number on my paper (as you do :rolleyes:). so I said it to my examiner the next day and she said it should be fine because of that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

In fairness now...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You can write small notes like "see end of booklet for rough work" or something but it really isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Eh, I thought that was against the rules.

I read the handbook last year, and I think something about writing notes to examiners was a no-no.

Might be wrong.

Edit: Notes that aren't related to the exam questions, I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

what.to.do wrote: »
    Eh, I thought that was against the rules.

I read the handbook last year, and I think something about writing notes to examiners was a no-no.

Might be wrong.

Edit: Notes that aren't related to the exam questions, I mean.

Well it is pointless, your examiner has 300 scripts to correct. They will rightly correct your exam in an objective manner and not make any allowance for notes or explanations to mistakes. One spelling error isn't the end of the world. Just focus on P2

If you write or draw explicit notes thats where you get in the serious trouble ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Won't be getting marks for drawing a smiling man in the helicopter of Q5 in maths today so...

*SIIIIIIIGH*

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think we have established that writing any kind of notes in scripts is unnecessary at best (with the exception of something like "the rest of this answer is on the back page" or something of that sort).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement