Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pawn shop

Options
  • 13-06-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello there
    Just wondering if there is one in the city ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There are two at least. Cash Converters on Eglinton Street just down from opposite the post office, and one beside the Charcoal Grill opposite Homeplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Cash Creators on Englinton Street and Cash Connections (I think) around the corner from CP's towards Eglinton Street,

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hession

thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

If i was you I'd trying selling your stuff on adverts first. Naturally they are going to offer you peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

If i was you I'd trying selling your stuff on adverts first. Naturally they are going to offer you peanuts.
    you wont even get peanuts, just one peanut. they will give you 10% its value if you lucky. agree with trying adverts, at least you have a fighting chance of getting a fair price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

These are not pawn shops. I spoke with one of these and Pawn shops are not allowed in Ireland and you cannot get a licence. You have to sell the goods to them and they give you set number of days to exercise an option to repurchase the goods at a higher price. Pawn shops advance you money against the goods against which remain yours unless you fail to repay loan. Pawn shops would generally offer higher amount against goods.

I also asked for a copy of paperwork and was refused. I was amazed they had no terms and conditions for viewing. Had to make do with a quick look at the back of their forms.

I would say in this case seller beware !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I've been in a tight spot a couple of times in the last year or two. I would never ever consider using one of them shops.

I understand some people would be desperate or others wanting to get rid of stuff they no longer want or need, but the money they offer is almost criminal.

From browsing in there a few times, seeing one or two things of interest, the ridiculous prices they wanted for things ensured I didn't return. One particular item was priced higher than what it could be bought for new.

I understand that it's a business and has to make money and that it's at the mercy of demand for the goods they buy like any other business, but I find the whole thing to be quite unscrupulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

The one on Eglinton Street isn't great. Never been in any others in Galway. I don't really like using them in Galway where I'm known anyway. There is a lad in Dublin I sell to a lot.

My gf wonders where her stuff goes ;)

Advertisement