Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is is time for a router upgrade?

• 13-06-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Have a Belkin 54g router that is 6 years old. Works well on a clearwire 2mb plan, but getting rid of that for eircom and a supposed 7mb speed.

Just wondering if a router upgrade might be beneficial?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Can I persist with this: should a 6 year old router be considered crap and replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

I'm using a BT Voyager 210 that's probably close to the same age - it's not used for wireless as I have a netgear router for that, but it works fine on an eircom (well, VF) 8Mb DSL connection...

But if your laptop has an "N" card and you want to move files \ stream on your network, maybe, but if it's just for surfing, I reckon if it's not broke, don't replace it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

gebbel wrote: »
    Can I persist with this: should a 6 year old router be considered crap and replaced?

Does it work?
    If it does and meets your needs why replace it just for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tungsten Tide

cyburger wrote: »
    I'm using a BT Voyager 210 that's probably close to the same age - it's not used for wireless as I have a netgear router for that, but it works fine on an eircom (well, VF) 8Mb DSL connection...

But if your laptop has an "N" card and you want to move files \ stream on your network, maybe, but if it's just for surfing, I reckon if it's not broke, don't replace it :)

If the router works, its fine. u might want to check ur firmware for it. There may be an updated version that has more features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gebbel wrote: »
    Works well on a clearwire 2mb plan, but getting rid of that for eircom and a supposed 7mb speed.

Clearwire and eircom are two different broadband technologies, and the routers are different. eircom will supply a modem/router, and all though the Belkin could be used with this, it cannot replace it, because it's not a DSL modem.

You don't need an upgrade unless there's something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jor el wrote: »
    You don't need an upgrade unless there's something wrong.
    qft

What speed do get on the wifi connection ?

If it's more than your internet connection then it won't really slow you down.
    To see what you are really getting after contention etc. plug your laptop directly into the router and go to http://speedtest.net/

For security make sure you are using WPA with a long and complex password.

Advertisement