Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I delete my boards.ie account?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

liah wrote: »
    See, tbh, this is another worry. I'm concerned that maybe it is in my head, but it really feels like more than coincidence and that certain posters do genuinely seem to hate me. I don't want to get people in crap if it is just in my head, yanno?

If its just in your head, then nothing will happen to them and no odds to anyone.

I have to point out that there is always the possibility that some people do actually hate you (or, more properly, the concept of you that exists in their minds - this is the net afterall). That is the unfortunate price of having an opinion. 'Fuck them' would again by my answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Nodin wrote: »
    If its just in your head, then nothing will happen to them and no odds to anyone.

I have to point out that there is always the possibility that some people do actually hate you (or, more properly, the concept of you that exists in their minds - this is the net afterall). That is the unfortunate price of having an opinion. 'Fuck them' would again by my answer there.

Totally. But in saying that, I've never been harrassed so it's easy for me to say, but i would never leave because some idiot provoked me. Block them and forget about it would be my advice.

Don't be too hasty.

Yeah, I would ask the admin to have a look. Boards care an awful lot about it's good posters, (which you seem like) and if anything is found, it will be dealt with. If nothing is found, it won't. Judging by the DRP, I think the admin team are very fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

g'em wrote: »
    I totally understand that, but you have to have faith in people's abilities to make up their own minds and see what's really happening. And in all honesty, it's very easy to see when someone is running a smear campaign or is obviously being an ass. The more you ignore, the more they'll try and bait, and their intentions will become glaringly clear for all to see in no time :)

Thanks g'em. I guess you're right. I just hate it when I get taken up wrong :( A recent thread made me realise how selectively people will read posts of mine and how easy it was to convince other people I thought something I really didn't and to effectively turn them against me. So I guess I'm kind of defensive as a result, and I need to learn to let that go.
    Kiera wrote: »
    Its not in your head. I've seen one person do it to you over and over. They used to do it non-stop in AH but i dont see you posting as much in there anymore so dont know if that same person is still at it. But then again you post in the serious threads and i tend to stay away from them so it might still be happening.

I'm sure others would have picked up on the other people too.

Do you mind PMing me the name? Would help a great deal!
    Nodin wrote: »

You're right. But I also don't want to waste the mod's time if it's nothing as I know I can get blinded sometimes by my perceptions (suppose I'm no better than them really :pac:) and think there's something there when there might not be.

I still haven't got an email back from hello@boards.ie yet so I'll be mulling the whole thing over til I do. I'm still thinking I should at least take a break to get it out of my head and let things cool down.

Oh, and thanks a lot for your time and help guys, and again sorry for derailing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

In my experience, there is not a lot they will do about off site stuff, even if the trouble originates from boards posters. Sorry to be so glum, chum but wouldn't want to mislead you into thinking otherwise.

Having said that, I did fight my corner and you should too. Things won't change if you don't.

• Advertisement

OK guys, the time has come. Thanks for the great times and best wishes to all of you :)

Be good :D

xxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Liah I would just delete the formspring thing, for every legit question I got I got tons more abuse, including one lovely guy who thought it was a good idea to encourage me to commit suicide, over and over again. He had seen posts, personal ones really, I had made in a depression thread in AH about my experiences and wove them into his insults, which I will admit was quite distressing.

Some people are just dicks. I wouldn't let them force you off the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

See, tbh, this is another worry. I'm concerned that maybe it is in my head, but it really feels like more than coincidence and that certain posters do genuinely seem to hate me. I don't want to get people in crap if it is just in my head, yanno?

.....I know what you mean...let me put it this way.

when posting in a certain forum around 6 months ago, I "noted" a new poster in my own mind...couldn't put my finger on it but I knew from the start that they were too smarmy, too "polished", to be a "new" poster...I also felt from their posting style that they were trouble...the sort of person that would down right insult someone in a subtle way and then apologise in a few posts later saying they were new and were "getting used to boards.ie"....

....I figured at the time they were a re-reg...probably someone who had been previously been banned..they started instantly posting in two particular forums where new posters wouldn't necessarily post so prolifically so soon after joining...they are now temporarily banned from one of those forums...

My point is, your "gut feeling" is correct....it's not in your head.....but sometimes it's hard to articulate these things....for gods sake don't leave boards for posters like that....only leave if you "choose" to do so, not because you feel forced to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Also don't really think there's anything they can do as the posters aren't outwardly breaking any rules, or at least not in a significant enough way for the mods to be able to do anything. They're not swearing at me or anything, or sending abusive PMs. They just.. 'happen' to be in every thread I'm in, and happen to have the opposite opinion to me, and happen to misrepresent me in order to demonize me/discredit my opinion, etc.

I guess it's just not anything I'd really want to waste the mod's time with tbh because I'm not sure they'd even see it as an issue.
    You wouldn't know until you asked. I for one would take great pleasure in permabanning them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

bullying, intimidation and harrassment are taken *very* seriously by the admins/cmoda and mods on boards. If anyone feels thay are being unfairly harrassed or stalked or bullied, PM a mod or cmod or admin with a few links to show what you mean and give us a starting point.

Looking into and preventing this sort of behaviour is never a waste of time and will always be taken seriously and handled in confidence. By leaving all you are doing is handing them the "win" and encouraging them to do it to the next person they take a dislike to and so making boards a less safe and friendly place to post. By reporting it and bringing it to our attention you help us find and sort out the muppets and make boards better for everyone.

At the worst we look into it and return with the result that we dont think its nefarious and you can look at the situation again and decide if maybe you are reading too much into it but all users should be certain that a report of bullying will never be dismissed out of hand and will always be taken seriously.

Not all claims of bullying are instantly upheld, we do have to look into it and discuss it amongst the admins to make sure we dont make a wrong call on something so serious.

Update.

Thanks everyone for all the lovely posts and PMs last night and this morning. I am quite blown away by them all.

I have decided to keep my account going but really pull back on posting in the PI/RI forums.

I am going through a few things in my own personal life and realised that I was relying on those forums instead of working on myself - and it is long overdue.

Thanks again and sorry for what must appear like attention-seeking behaviour. I really did not expect anything like the reaction I received. I didn't think anyone ever came on this forum and thought I could just slip under the net and not be noticed.

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's mad that somebody would go to those lengths because somebody might disagree with them online! Reminds me of a thread I seen recently where a "new" poster got banned, turned out they had 3 different id's and one was a pretty frequent poster!

I don't use the ignore function either. The best thing is to just ignore them Failing that, point out the misrepresentation. If they continue doing it, just point it out again and don't post again. Doing any more is just wasting your time and giving them what they want.

As for the anonymous site, can you not block posters from posting on it? The site seems a good idea but it's going to be abused, nature of the internet I'm afraid.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Formspring is a haven for abuse because it is anon, the amount of abuse I got some of the time was beyond ridiculous.

It would be a shame to see posters who actually articulate themselves well in their posts and add to the site to just up and leave because of a few trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

wtf is Fromspring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Des wrote: »
    wtf is Fromspring?

Same as Anonymous etc.... which are all these Q&A sites spawned from Twitter, that allow you to interact with Anon people, and complain when they are not nice. Although http://www.formspring.me/ attempts to counter this by insisting that users provide "proof", which is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Des wrote: »
    wtf is Fromspring?

Some sort of seasonal website.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't see the point of that formspring thingy, if something is open to being abused, it will be.

If any poster is getting grief in AH, they should PM any of the mods. Once we are aware we literally track the poster and every word they write is read. Low level trolls beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Many people have hated and continue to hate snyper.

2 words...

Jockeys bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We all love snyper. At least until the skeletons come out then we all say "I knew there was something off about him" :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

LoLth wrote: »
    bullying, intimidation and harrassment are taken *very* seriously by the admins/cmoda and mods on boards. If anyone feels thay are being unfairly harrassed or stalked or bullied, PM a mod or cmod or admin with a few links to show what you mean and give us a starting point.

It is good to see this being stated so clearly by one of the admins.
    While that type of cruddy behaviour falls under 'don't be a Dick'
    having it explicitly and easy to find in the faq or code of conduct for the site woudl be helpful.

That way people can't say they have not been warned and those who are on the receiving end know it's not on and that they can go to mods/admins about it and that there are policies and procedures in place to handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The problem with the "dont be a dick" rule is that it varies from forum to forum as in being a dick in PI for example would have a much narrower scope for interpretation than in other forums.

I do agree though that maybe something to do with bullying/harassment or suspicion of should be added to the charter of every forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nothing against any of the posters that want to leave (quite like them) but why not just, you know, stop posting.

Or post this in Help Desk where I assume it won't turn in to a oh no please come down off the ledge we love you chat.

Plus you'll both be back before the year (or indeed the month) is out if the usual trend of mawkish valedictorian addresses are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I dunno. I know exactly where liah is coming from. I've had abuse directed at me off-site and in all honesty, I didn't know how to handle it. I mean, I once linked a blog in my sig and that was just a huge mistake. It seems people feed on it - they can get at you but there'll be no repercussions. They're not hassling you on-site.

I've felt intimidated to post here. I wouldn't go so far as to say I took the 'bullying' personally but in all honesty, it freaked me out. It bothered me to think that someone had taken such a dislike to me that they took time out of their day to anonymously harass me. A person/people who I have never met.

I suppose what got me was that I'm quite considerate of other posters. I'm not overly opinionated, I don't tend to engage in arguments with anyone so to be faced with such nastiness was just a surprise. It made me wonder what the hell I had done.

I've taken my blog link from my sig. In fact, I don't write at all anymore but I do still get the occasional abusive comment. What can ya do? Just not give anyone any kind of opportunity. I think it's a bit sad really, that you have to be some sort of closed book so you don't get abused but that's the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Liah I've been following you on formspring for a while (I think you follow me on there too) and have noticed the abuse over the past while. Good golly miss molly you get asked some weird questions and you definitely have a "fan" on there, but I wouldn't delete your profile from boards. I used to get tonnes of abuse hurled at me on formspring after I had the link in my sig. Sure I still get abuse on different sites and even have an impersonator on one. But these are people on the internet that you don't know, that don't know you or any of your personal information, so I wouldn't get worried. I blocked anon questions on formspring and never got any again. Or else just delete your formspring. I quite like reading your boards posts, you're a valued member of boards.ie and it'd be a shame to see you go. As Novella said above, ye can't just give in to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I got a load of **** from people (or probably one person) on that Formspring site months ago. I didn't say anything to anyone at the time but, personally, I felt a little lonelier as a user before I finally decided to block non-registered users from accessing my page and removed the link from my sig. It's mad how a little bit of abuse on an external site can make you question your place on this one. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Formspring sounds like the stupidest website ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

phasers wrote: »
    It is. Dunno what I was thinking signing up, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

phasers wrote: »
    Yeah but all the cool kids were on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No offence but why would anybody sign up for something that facilitates anonymous abuse and then publish a link to same from a massively busy site where they are well known?

I sound like an admonishing grandfather, I know....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement